Quantcast

Best Bike shops in MD/VA

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Originally posted by DßR
I don't think Shortbus was intending to bash Morgan there - the fact is, most shops make 90-some% of their money off low-end stuff and they simply AREN'T familiar with the high-end stuff we're riding - ffs, Shortbus rides a Brooklyn Mini-link - how many LBS workers have even heard of Brooklyn bikes, let alone that model? 1% of 'em?

I appreciate your comments. He dash bash Morg to some extent as he qouted him .

I do agree with you on a couple points there are LBS's that are "lower end"and because of their market they couldnt perfom anything more than basic repair on a Brooklyn/Intense type bike. But I'm speaking of shops that cater to either the the broad market or the high end . Thats where It's best to get a referral, or an understanding of the nature of a shop , Just as you wouldnt take a Porsche to a Kia mechanic you wouldnt take a dh bike to a shop that doesnt sell any bikes over $500.

Thanks for your comments
CR

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Even high end shops don't always know their stuff. I had one guy tell me he wasn't "qualified to install disc brakes". :confused: On top of that, when I brought my bike back in to re-seat the tubeless tires (another one of my lack of strength issues) he came back in less than 5 mins and when I said, "wow, that was fast" his response was, "Oh it just needed a little air". I explained that they'd been losing a good 30 psi for the past two days and really needed to be re-seated and then he told me, "Oh...uh, yeah, tubeless tires do that" Ooooookay-gee, thanks for the help.

Yeah, I definitely understand that the LBS makes the majority of their money in service issues but when a high end shop doesn't know diddly about what's out there in the mtn bike world, that doesn't say much for them. When I was inquiring about Specialized Enduros last year, one shop actually asked me why in the world I would want a full on DH bike for this area?!! :eek:
Or if they can't even place an order for you in a timely manner, why bother (if they even place the order at all).

And always charging full retail for EVERYTHING in the shop is going to drive customers away. I don't mind paying a couple of extra dollars for an item that I could get cheaper somewhere else but when it comes to big ticket items where you can save hundreds of dollars, why on earth would you want to throw out that extra money. Yeah, you're going to get service with that product but if it still ends up costing less, why bother? It seems to me, they're taking advantage of unsuspecting customers.

Now, I know that all shops are not like this and each shop seems to better service in certain areas than others but I have to find a shop that completely and reasonably serves my needs. Then again, that might be asking for too much as the market around here is driven by roadies and family riders.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I don't mean to bash anyone, i apologize if i sometimes come across that way. But i'm strongly opinionated and that comes from my own crappy experiences. That's all :p :thumb:

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
big wheel bikes in bethesda will service your forks, put new steer tubes in, replace the seals, etc,....themselves, its all about knowing the right shop. and when you look around the back of griffin cycles there are titus quasi-motos, rm7s, and a rediculous assortment of street bikes, and its the riders that are the mechanics there, and they know what theyre doing, so once again its all about having the right shop for your needs....

unless youre me and all your needs include duct tape.

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
hi all you monkey type people. i've been looking to get back into bikin again. it's been close to 10 years since i've done any i think. anyways, been looking for a specialized stumpjumper fsr to try out. i think i want the expert model - triad shock and all just looks super groovy !

oh hell i ramble too much. my question is, anyone ever buy a bike from hudson trail outfitters ? i've gotten the best price by far from them so wonderin if they do a decent job with initial setup/assembly - bein a no0b i at least would like it setup ok to start with lol.

thanks folks.
ron

edit: guess i should mention i'm talkin 'bout the one in fairfax. thanks again !

Ilovespooky

Chimp
May 7, 2004
Pedal-n-spoke in Great Falls is always helpful for doing any work on your bike, or ordering parts and getting them the same week. im probly a little opinionated on this one because i help out there but they are the best one i've ever been to:D

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I'd have to agree that pedal n spoke is one of the better customer service bike shops in this area that i've dealt with...

This isn't Mark who sold me that green RM6DH back in the day is it??????

Ilovespooky

Chimp
May 7, 2004
No, this is Ben, I'm up there every day cleaning the shop and helping around for store credit. But, yea they pride themselves on their customer service. mark quit awhile ago maybe a year ago :confused:

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Originally posted by arsenic
hi all you monkey type people. i've been looking to get back into bikin again. it's been close to 10 years since i've done any i think. anyways, been looking for a specialized stumpjumper fsr to try out. i think i want the expert model - triad shock and all just looks super groovy !

oh hell i ramble too much. my question is, anyone ever buy a bike from hudson trail outfitters ? i've gotten the best price by far from them so wonderin if they do a decent job with initial setup/assembly - bein a no0b i at least would like it setup ok to start with lol.

thanks folks.
ron

edit: guess i should mention i'm talkin 'bout the one in fairfax. thanks again !
If you haven't bought the bike already, I wouldn't recommend buying from there unless you know for darn sure how to set it up to fit you properly. I've heard them on a few occasions telling new bike owners that if the bike feels a little small or large, to just move the saddle fore or aft to get the right feel :eek: No consideration at all to proper knee positioning over the pedal or the possiblity of swapping out stems and this was with both road bikes and mountain bikes.

If you know what you're doing, then by all means, go for it. If you really need a good fitting and want that particular bike, check out Spokes, Etc. You could ask to see if they'll price match for you. I don't know of any other Specialized dealers close to you, though.

Good Luck!

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
Originally posted by KPicha
If you haven't bought the bike already, I wouldn't recommend buying from there unless you know for darn sure how to set it up to fit you properly. I've heard them on a few occasions telling new bike owners that if the bike feels a little small or large, to just move the saddle fore or aft to get the right feel :eek: No consideration at all to proper knee positioning over the pedal or the possiblity of swapping out stems and this was with both road bikes and mountain bikes.

If you know what you're doing, then by all means, go for it. If you really need a good fitting and want that particular bike, check out Spokes, Etc. You could ask to see if they'll price match for you. I don't know of any other Specialized dealers close to you, though.

Good Luck!
nope. haven't bought anything yet. i've talked to a girl at the spokes in belleview. they'd have to come down about 200 to match. i'm gonna be in that area tomorrow so i'll prolly go check 'em out again.

thanks a lot for the advice !
ron

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
gotta represent for performance manassas...im mark so if any of ya need a hookup just get in touch with me there...always gotta look out :D ...aside from us well i dont really go to any other places because of my discount but a1 is alrite...some cool people workin there if nothin else!