Quantcast

Best bike shops in the US?

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Several shops in the PNW made it into Bicycle Retailers top 100 shops. They had to excel in three areas: market share, community outreach and store appearance.
Bike N Hike, Portland OR
The Bike Gallery, Inc., Portland OR
Center Cycle, Renton WA:devil:
Gregg's Greenlake Cycle, Seattle, WA:)
Old Town Bicycle, Inc., Gig Harbor, WA:thumb:
Recycled Cycles, Seattle, WA:thumb:
River City Bicycles, Portland, OR
Having 8 of 100 of what the bike industry considers to be the best shops in the country ain't bad.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Pac NW represent!!!

I've been working @ Recycled for about nine months now and I have to say that Steve Donahue and Scott Martini are hands-down the best employers I have ever worked for. Like any boss(es), they will let you know when you are screwing up without demeaning you. At the same time, they never hesitate to let you know that you are doing an excellent job - that's a rare trait in any profession. They also do countless things for not only the cycling community, but for the community-at-large as well. They're not only good business-people...they're good people to boot.

I'm looking forward to seeing both Fluidride and Go Huck Yourself on that list next year as well!!!:cool:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Nice to see Center make it on there. Dave, Lupe, and Mike have worked hard to get to the point of where they're at now.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I'm looking forward to seeing both Fluidride and Go Huck Yourself on that list next year as well!!!:cool:
For sure! I know your shop sends people Zeb's way. It's nice to see shops working together:)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those are all good shops. Not bad considering Portland has been the most bike friendly city for like 3 years or something.

sessions

Monkey
Nov 9, 2005
Vancouver WA
I can’t believe river city made the list they have the worst service in Portland. I feel the guys down at fat tire farm are way better and much more helpful.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am not sure about that list. Some of them like City Cycle in SF or Belmont Wheelworks in Mass, are pretty obvious. But they listed one, Off Ramp in Mtn View, which I thought were run by a bunch of jackasses.

Besides being rude, which I am an expert, they did not know you couldn't pump up a road tire with a compressor (usually about 70psi is the limit) and it took forever to find a glueless patch kit.

I wonder if the shop changed ownership since that list was compiled?

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
sessions said:
I can’t believe river city made the list they have the worst service in Portland. I feel the guys down at fat tire farm are way better and much more helpful.
Yeah, even though I bought one of my bikes from River City I didn't receive very good service imo. I have to admit they have a nice set up and selection though.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
wow, greg's is on there?... that's extremely hard to believe they made the list... I guess maybe it's just me, but I've never really had very good help there. But I guess when you're the biggest store in the area it doesn't really matter that much.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
The Portland shops they picked rather suck. River ****ty has the worst services ever, the guy there conviced me that shimano only made xt short cage in the rapid rise just becuse he wanted to sell it to me, I bought one just becuse I really wanted to ride that day. Should have knowen they still made the short cage regular, I took it back and complained and they would not take it back or say sorry or anything. Dont bring any freeride stuff in there eather, this dude was trying to give me advice on my boxxer than admited he had never even seen one before. Bike gallery tried to charge me 5 bucks for a little screw for my breaks, if you like road riding and spending extra money on parts go there.

Bike and hike is better. Best shop in portland is cycle path, great deals becuse he sells on the internet as well, good service, dude showed me how to bleed my breaks for free. Sorry for the rant, anyway glad to see recycled on there!

Jun 18, 2004
iridebikes said:
wow, greg's is on there?... that's extremely hard to believe they made the list... I guess maybe it's just me, but I've never really had very good help there. But I guess when you're the biggest store in the area it doesn't really matter that much.
my expirience w/Greg's is like going to a Volvo or BMW dealership... you need to dress like the place isn't out of your league, if you want them to pay any attention to you...

Greg's to me is YuppieVille; but it doesn't matter because they rarely carry any bikes that intrest me...

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Remember the criteria. They had to excel in three areas: market share, community outreach and store appearance.
It doesn't say anything about customer service really. It has to do with $ in the door. $ out the door for races, donations, etc... and store setup/ display.
I really think recycled has done more for cycling as a whole for the seattle area than any other. I mean they started in a 700 sf basement selling used crap. And constantly look for ways to recycle, help all forms of riders and racing, and make peaples lives better.
And Old Town Rules Pierce county for all that they do. Some shops (no names BT) don't do a thing for cycling but take the money and drive the employees crazy.

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I too am surprised Greggs made it onto the list. I guess sometimes they do have good customer service, but if you're looking for freeride/DH parts forget about it. Every time i've ever been there its been crowded. If you were looking for a road bike or light duty MTB, Greggs probably wouldn't be a bad place to go.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Gregg's is all about having new parts on-hand. If I couldn't find the part at any of the other shops, I could usually count on them having it. That's not as true these days now that there are soooooo many proprietary parts out there. You can score a good deal on some of their clearance clothes if you're timing is right.