Quantcast

Best Bike tools?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Took me just three classes on the machining course I took two years ago to fall for that one. Luckily it got shot to the opposite side of the lathe I was standing by. Now I have it secured to the base with an elastic cord, following my trainer's suggestion. Every time I need to adjust the Chuck I have to pull the key to it.
One good hard chuck key to the nuts is all it took for me to never forget again. At least the other lads in the workshop had a good laugh.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
So I finally have some space and money to spend on a nice, "non-portable" set of tools. For the past decade I've just had a portable toolbag filled with a mix of good and not no good tools. I'd like to keep that as the travel set, and have a nice set just for home that lives in a tool chest.

Are there any definitive answers on who makes the best tools? I kinda like the ergonomics of some of the Pedro's stuff, but I'm not sure if Park tools are any better overall quality. Has anyone tried so Birzman tools? They look nice and are priced pretty high, but I have no clue if they are all flash. Any other suggestions? Lezyne? Icetoolz? Hozan? I'm not against mixing brands of course.

In my own work stand at the bikeshop I run mainly Birzman, but Park & Feedback for allenkeys (Feedback T handles are great for tight spots), the birzman dragonfly chain breaker is the best I've ever used, likewise their spoke keys and chain pliers, Standard allen key (not the T handle) from Birz is vastely better than Parks and the rachet set is f*cking awesome!
I've become a big fan of the Birzman, except for their T handle allen keys, 3way Y grip allenkeys (had the 5mm bit come loose after 1 year & had to glue it back in) and side cutters, those items Park are better.
Bleed kits, either Sram/Shimano or the Jagwire Pro kit.
Wheels MFG for bearing press
The few Unior bits we have seem ok so far, easily on a par with Park.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Here are my ghetto tools for Fox Float rear shocks
20200716_202539.jpg

16mm machined socket machined by a friend.
The needle is pushed into a piece of Schrader valve and then screwed on a 600psi shock pump. Just make sure that the plastic part of the needle is sitting against the seal of the pump.

I also have a shortened allen key with a hole in the middle of it.
20200422_153453.jpg

Took me just three classes on the machining course I took two years ago to fall for that one. Luckily it got shot to the opposite side of the lathe I was standing by. Now I have it secured to the base with an elastic cord, following my trainer's suggestion. Every time I need to adjust the Chuck I have to pull the key to it.
Another thing to avoid is kicking the lathe into reverse to stop it - I sent a big three jaw chuck across the room once, also managing to damage the ways...