Quantcast

Best brakes

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
Have an oppertunity to get the saint m810's or the avid codes for FR & DH,open suggestions,tried searching for a post on these 2 and got nothing,noob not sure but it's been while since I used this forum.

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
Ive never had to bleed my shimanos. The juicy's or any sram brake ive had to bleed constantly. You never know what your going to get with sram brakes. Sometimes you get a good one sometimes you dont.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XT-M765-Mountain-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Brakeset-/170607305229?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b8fce20d

Super cheap lots of modulation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Shimano-Deore-XT-BL-M775-hydraulic-brake-set-w-roto-/230589815418?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b0395a7a#ht_500wt_1156

Levers are more powerful. If you want the modulation with out the grab that the saints have I would choose these.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I know it is late, but you might want to look at this.
2011 Avid Code Review

I use older model Saints (XT) on my hardtail, Avid Juicy 7s on my FR bike, and Avid Elixir CRs on my DH rig. I really like the Avids, even if the factory bleeds suck. I have demoed the new Saints and they are VERY powerful, but perhaps a bit grabby. I'm sure that is something you could work out by riding them more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you want the BEST brakes: Formula the One's. BUt they are EXPENSIVVVEEEEE (~$300 per brake, ~$600 for the set)

Between saints and codes, saints all the way. I'm actually still rocking a first year set and have yet to have an issue (*knocks on wood*). and everything i hear about the 810's is that they are even better.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
if you want the BEST brakes: Formula the One's. BUt they are EXPENSIVVVEEEEE (~$300 per brake, ~$600 for the set)

Between saints and codes, saints all the way. I'm actually still rocking a first year set and have yet to have an issue (*knocks on wood*). and everything i hear about the 810's is that they are even better.
IF by better you mean much more powerful, then by all means yes. They also have a completely different lever feel than the M800s. This will come out wrong, but the when I was on the M810, I was reminded of the wickedly off/on feel of my old Hayes Mags. The difference is that the Hayes brakes had maybe 1/3 the power that the new Saints do. I'm certain that you could get used to the feel of the lever and learn to modulate the brake better than I had the opportunity to do. My old style Saints are good, but I still prefer my Juicys and Elixirs.

Never ridden the Formulas, but they sure are light and BLING! I can't imagine parts are too easy to come by though (which is not an issue with either Avid or Shimano).

BTW, just did a bleed of the Elixirs and it was really easy - just follow the steps provided in the direction book and all is good.

ridefree

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
Deff go with the saints out of the two you mention. If you had the extra cash check out the formula ones. Far as cheapest brake with power; I find the old Hayes 9 hfx hd to work pretty well.

NWS

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
I really like my Hope V2 up front. Have ridding a friend's bike with Saints, didn't like it. Haven't tried Avid or Formula though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
if you want the BEST brakes: Formula the One's. BUt they are EXPENSIVVVEEEEE (~$300 per brake, ~$600 for the set).
As an owner of both 800 and 810 Saints, as well as The Ones, I actually disagree with this. Prettiest? Yes. Best combination of light and powerful? Probably. Biggest pain in the ass to work on? Yes. Worth it? I honestly think probably not.

I've got nothing but praise for both pairs of Shimanos. If you're ok paying for them, Saint 810. If not, just get some XTs and be done with it.