Quantcast

best chainguide for 951

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
im looking for a chainguide for my 951...
the iscg mounts are definitely weak for taking hits from a "taco" style chainguide

my bottom iscg mount hole has the first few rows of threads stripped out already...so...

any recommendations? i have gamut p30/sunline in mind...

my friend said you cant setup a gamut properly on 951....
but....when is the sunline coming out?

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
Give Juan or Mateo a call at Gamut, they have a VPP backplate coming out which has flush mount hardware so you can rotate it into the correct position. My buddy just ordered one from them. The regular hardware with the nut on the lower roller would certainly prohibit correct setup of the backplate as it would hit the lower pivot.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Give Juan or Mateo a call at Gamut, they have a VPP backplate coming out which has flush mount hardware so you can rotate it into the correct position. My buddy just ordered one from them. The regular hardware with the nut on the lower roller would certainly prohibit correct setup of the backplate as it would hit the lower pivot.
I'll second this. I just got one of these and it works brilliantly. No problem rotating it into the correct position.

Here's a shot of the flush lower roller bolt. There's a set screw underneath to hold adjustment. This is a photo of the two-ring guide, but the P30 looks the same.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
?? is this the case for all VPP bikes or only the 951? I know I had to order a special wide angle backplate to get my LG1 to work on my V10 but I just sold that guide and was planning on picking up a Gamut... Anyone know? Mingnar runs a Gamut but it wouldn't surprise me if they made some custom job for him.

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
To date I've run a 36t SRS+ (which I smashed off) and a 36-40 LG1+ (which is pretty beat up).
Anything above 36t in the SRS+ wont fit properly without modification and the LG1+ is a tight fit as is.

I tried retrofitting a party crasher (MRP) with Truvativ cranks/shimano saints, without much luck due to the lack of spindle adjustment.
If I had raceface cranks I'd go the MRP for sure!

Apart from what I've experianced, the sunline seems it would be the most ideal on paper

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
on your lower bolt that has some strippage you could put in a longer bolt and run it out the other side then thread a nut onto it to take some pressure off the mount's remaining threads. being at the bottom, it should have enough clearance that you can do this but I haven't seen one of those frames up close. sounds like it might not be a bad idea to do that as a matter of course though Ive never had that happen to any of my own frames.

Last edited:

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
?? is this the case for all VPP bikes or only the 951? I know I had to order a special wide angle backplate to get my LG1 to work on my V10 but I just sold that guide and was planning on picking up a Gamut... Anyone know? Mingnar runs a Gamut but it wouldn't surprise me if they made some custom job for him.
I run a Gamut P30 on my V10-3 with absolutely no problems, don't use any spacers behind the backplate and ISCG-05 mounting holes on the frame either.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
on your lower bolt that has some strippage you could put in a longer bolt and run it out the other side then thread a nut onto it to take some pressure off the mount's remaining threads. being at the bottom, it should have enough clearance that you can do this but I haven't seen one of those frames up close. sounds like it might not be a bad idea to do that as a matter of course though Ive never had that happen to any of my own frames.
yea the bottom hole has clearance for me to put a longer bolt through but..i doubt i should take the risk of breaking the tabs...
anyways...my frame still holds my guide fine...taken a few more hits as well and its holding