Quantcast

Best cold weather gloves???

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hmmm. I don't know if I agree with layering for the gloves.

I haven't done it since I had zero cash and I was slipping the wool gloves my mommy gave me under my fingerless.

Mostly, my hands never get that hot during rides I am going to take off a layer. Also you lose dexterity with too much bulk and if your gloves are too tight, your circulation is cut off which is even more important to keeping your hands warm.

I still think the best choice is discount ski gloves. They are warm, waterproof, and cover past your wrist. Most are not that bulky either.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Those are the ones I told you about earlier today:
http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=50&product_id=1455046&outlet=

Used to be called the Gavia. My dog chewed mine the same f'ing day I got them, I close one with the zipper, and the other with a piece of duct tape...
I have a set of Gavias. Decent gloves, but pretty thick for the level of warmth they give, IMO. I had (and lost) a set of Gore gloves (old Mistrals, I think) that were much, much thinner and still fairly warm (though probably not good for near-freezing temps).

I use Garneau lobster claw gloves when it's really cold out. They are crazy warm; my hands get cold really easily and have never come close in them. Only drawback is that they are too warm for a lot of days.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have to ride in the lobster claw kind.
:stupid:

I have the Pearl Izumi lobster gloves and they work really well. They are big enough that you can layer if need be. The downside is that its hard to open clifbars in em :(

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
MSR cold pros are good and made for cold motorcycle riding.

I have a pair of black diamond (the brand name) gloves that have worked quite well also.

Both used in temps well below 30f.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
My complaint about the LCs, and just about every other "high tech" glove that I have used is that they don't get rid of moisture well. Sweat condenses inside, which makes insulation ineffective. On a four hour ride this can get more than annoying.
I agree, but I find that annoyance NOTHING compared to the pain of cold fingers that ensues for sometimes half an hour after I finally get back home or in the car and they heat up.:( I seriously think there is something permanently wrong with my hands now.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
any suggestions for windproof tights and foot covery things? It's damn cold already up here in NYC.

Boooo on you Mr.Weather God, booo indeed!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
At my last physical, I randomly mentioned that my hands get a lot colder now then they used to. The Dr. looked at me stuck his hand out and said "Welcome to Getting older."
HA! Well my hands have always had this fierce cold problem. :(

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
What size do you need?

I have a brand new pair of Fox arcticsomethingorother gloves which are too small. I dont know what size, but I wear 11/XL gloves so these are probably 9 or 10. Interested?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I've been meaning to try my neoprene whitewater paddling gloves. They do pretty good in 33 degree river water and they're not too bulky.
I've been using summer weight neoprene kayaking gloves.

My hands are fine although the quality of the glove is not good. Some of the stitching has already ripped.

There are not that warm, but the SF rain storms are usually in the 50's so I have to buy raingear which is not insulated.

gasnit

Chimp
Dec 17, 2009
I have had the best results with the Specialized Sub Zero glove. It has a liner (which is what I normally use if it's just really cold), and it has the outer which is supposed to be for wet conditions. They can be used together or separately.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
any suggestions for windproof tights and foot covery things? It's damn cold already up here in NYC.

Boooo on you Mr.Weather God, booo indeed!
There doesn't seem to be too much of a difference in booties (foot covery thingies). I had a set of Pearl Izumis which were fine and have been using a set of Trek ones for a few years now. Just find a decent set.

I will say that getting a pair of winter cycling shoes was a good idea for me. My feet get cold easily- booties and wool socks didn't cut it but winter clipless shoes made a huge difference.

gasnit

Chimp
Dec 17, 2009
X2 on the winter specific cycling shoes....BIG improvement over using regular cycling shoes and booties.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I use the Performance fleece lined booties and they work well; they're cheap and effective.

swoody

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, USA
Some great gear advice here guys! I'm making a shopping list as I read this thread :) The winters here in Chicago have usually been too cold for me to even think about going out on my bikes.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
For the most part I just stick an hand warmer pack in my pocket and go in my normal gloves. I hate feeling like I'm grabbing the bar through an inch of insulation. One of these days somebody needs to make electric gloves/shoes/clothes that actually work. . .