Quantcast

best current online spoke calculator?

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by jonKranked, Jun 12, 2013.

1. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    title says it all. is there anything out there better than the dt swiss one?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. samnation

samnation Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
  3. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    was pointed to pro wheel builder, and PWB has a better interface.

4. Lelandjt

Lelandjt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 95
    DT Swiss has always worked fine for me. A couple times spokes have ended up a little long or short but I'm not sure if that's cuz the numbers input were wrong or the calculator has a fault. Has anyone gotten different results with another calculator?

#4 -   Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  5. dump

dump Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 183
  6. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683

dt swiss is good, although last time i used it they didn't have hadley in their database.

7. blindboxx2334

blindboxx2334 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    i dont think i use wheel pro, but i use dt, sheldon brown excel file, and another one that i cant remember the name of.. i use three because i want to verify as much as i can before i start to build the said wheelset.

i usually get the same variances as you do too, i just go for the shorter length..
    cant you get the measurements? hadley is a good company, so there has to be some info out there for em.

now that i think about it, finding measurements for my hope 150 rear hub was kinda a pain in the ass.. finally found a thread on MTBR that had the info, but im a buttwhole and dont trust a lot of people, so i managed to finally find a spoke calc that had it in there and compared the #s, luckily they mached up!

i was also kinda surprised they didnt have the info on their site.. or atleast im dumb and couldnt find it..

#7 -   Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  8. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    i could, but the fact that they're already in the PWB database is marginally more convenient.

9. blindboxx2334

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    even better!

10. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    wisdom: when a spoke calc spits out anything other than a whole number spoke length, round down.

11. blindboxx2334

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    i figured.. i always used the slightly longer nipples than the 12mm ones, so it just seemed like common sense to me to go for the shorter spokes. i acutally built up my dh wheelset last week, and low and behold the front and rear both took 259s, ive never ever had that happen to me and ive built 50 or so wheels.

my wheels actually come out good and last for someone who taught himself how to build a wheel :D

12. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    i just sized out spokes for my "new" (new build, relacing old stuff) trail wheels, came out at something like 259.2 and 260.1. i ordered 258's.

13. Lelandjt

Lelandjt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 95
    That may be okay, or it may leave the spoke not threaded into the mushroom part of the nipples on the 260 side. I had this happen on a build using alloy nips and a couple broke right at the mushroom. Lesson learned, the spoke has to thread at least to the bottom of the slot to support the nipple.

I know you'll say, "Use brass nips." Well, I had an interesting experience with them:
    I've built exclusively with alloy nips in the last few years but the rims I used weren't rated for super high tension. When I built my first carbon set the rims were rated for as much tension as the spokes and I wanted to take advantage of that to build a super stiff wheel with really high tension. I was worried alloy nips would be the weak link so I used brass. After 6 months the threads pulled out of 1 nipple*. Spoke and rim were fine but nipple had to be replaced. I told this to a DT rep at a race a week ago and he said, "Alloy nips are harder and have stronger threads than brass. As long as the spoke is threaded to the slot alloy nips are stronger."
    I'm switching back to alloy and making sure my spokes are long enough.

*Could have been a defect and not worth putting any thought into.

#13 -   Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  14. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    i was planning on running alloy nippers, and i build my wheels with very high tension as well. i've done ~2mm short before and not had any problems.

15. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    just ran the calc again, left was 258.2, right was 259.2 for the front wheel, rear is 259.3 / 258 even. so less of an issue than i remembered.

16. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    for the record, i went with silver spokes because a box of 100 w/ nipples was like $60, and enough to build both wheels with plenty of leftovers.

17. blindboxx2334

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    once i took apart a wheel with siezed brass nips on it for my buddy, had to end up cutting 10 or so spokes off.. i told myself that id never buy brass nips again. ive yet to have a problem with alloy nips, aside from some super low quality primo bmx alloy nips.

i use linseed oil as spoke prep. its awesome and keeps everything free, and its even better once it dries!

and im more of a black spoke kinda guy, i dont like silver/chome on anything really..

i got 75 black sapim spokes, cut to length, and 75 gold alloy nipples for a little bit less than that. glad i didnt have to shell out for some spensive DT ones.. theyre nice, but not worth the extra dough IMO, sapims work just fine for me.. jon, you stick to one spoke brand or do you try em all?

18. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    i use linseed oil too.

black spokes were like an extra $50 a box. that's another lift ticket.

19. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    295 / 2,488
    I <3 building wheels.

I always round down too, as close to 1mm as I can easily get.
    On threads I use the same little container of gold anti-seize-y material I've been carrying around in my tool box for 10 years. It never runs empty!

I have many unfinished boxes of spokes or varying lengths. Normally they would be kept as 'backups' in case of a break. My LBS now has a cutter and can cut/roll any spoke to any length I need which is awesome.

20. blindboxx2334

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    hot damn, an additional 50 bones?!?! i dont think ive ever seen that big of a sur-charge before.

anyways, if you guys dont have anything against sapim spokes, check out 'childhood-dreams' on ebay. 36 bux for 75 black sapim spokes, cut to order. 18 bucks for 75 alloy nips, they also come in a buncha colors. just a heads up if you want to try something different.

i talked to him briefly once i received my spokes, he told me he was on vacay for a week or so (he took down all of his listings).. but he'll put em back up when he gets back.

#20 -   Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  21. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    378 / 3,683
    now i remember... it wasn't $50 a box. it was $12 a box. but the silver come 100 to a box but the black only come as 72. when you extrapolate that out to 100 count it winds up being about another $40 something (silver are like $0.63 a spoke, black is a buck a spoke)