Quantcast

Best CX wheels for <$250?

The Bridge

Chimp
Nov 11, 2009
Missoula and Portland
Putting together a new bike with a budget of around $1200. What are some recommendations for wheels that aren't super heavy, but are durable enough for some fire road action?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm, for used wheels, I'm not sure what you could find....there's probably lots of options out there.

Have you considered a boring ol' set of Ultegra or 105 hubs and Mavic rims? You could certainly find a set for around that much. They won't be super light, but hold up to anything and last forever. I have a set of Ultegra/Open Pros that I've ridden on the road, dirt roads and even straight up singletrack for several years. I think it was just a QBP build or something, but they have been flawless. If you're not racing, durability beats weight any time.

A Shimano prebuilt set might not save you much weight if your budget is $250, but I'd trust any of them. They seem to build things a little heavier than other manufacturers, but they are solid.

Another option would be Easton. Any set from them would save you some weight over a Shimano/Mavic combo. You could find a new set of EA50s and maybe a used set of EA70s for about that price. I have a set of EA90 SLXs and they have been pretty good as far as rim strength and hub durability (have to admit that a few spokes broke on me...probably should have chosen a heavier duty model... in any case, their reputation is pretty good).

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would hunt used. I picked up a set of 2005 Bontrager Race X Lite wheels for $210.