Quantcast

Best DH gloves?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I am looking for a pair of new DH gloves to use in the local bike park. What is the best around considering durability and palm protection?

Thanks

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
kinda depends on the shape of your hands this one. Personally Troy Lee XCs work really well for me, used to like Fox (Pawtectors in particular) but find they have a bit too much material in the palm area for me these days

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
kinda depends on the shape of your hands this one. Personally Troy Lee XCs work really well for me, used to like Fox (Pawtectors in particular) but find they have a bit too much material in the palm area for me these days
Yeah, I know it depends on shape of hand, so I guess what I am looking for is quality. I have not been very lucky lately buying gloves.......wear them up quite fast.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
As far a palm durability look for something with Clarino syn leather as opposed to Chamude which is a less expensive synthetic leather.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
for some reason I really like my specialized gloves with the padding on them. But otherwise I would go with 661 or dakine. If your hand is wider then go with sixsixone, but if not then go with dakine.

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
I am a huge fan of the 661 Raji gloves. They seem to fit really well and they are very breathable. The only downside is you have to buy two or three pairs at the begining of the season cause they don't seem to last very long.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so far my most durable gloves have been a pair of foxes which fit poorly and a series of mechanics gloves made by ironclad.

fox changed their sizing so that I'm between a 9 and 10. the nice fits better in the palm but the fingers are too short, the 10 fits fine in certain fingers but the palm is all loose. the ironclad gloves fit much better.

I have heard terrible things about 661 in the past and good things about specialized gloves. You should probably buy them from your LBS, however good the deals online may be, as bad fitting gloves can ruin your day with blisters or lack of control.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
For strict DH i prefer something with carbon knuckles. I went down hard on freight train in whistler and the entire impact was shared with my head and my right hand on the side of a boulder. i had carbon fiber on the outside knuckles and the index and middle finger knuckles were incredibly jacked.
xrays and a doctors visit showed i bruised 3 bones badly in my right hand. not fun. i had to miss out on the rest of the day at whistler and one north shore day. i will ride with full carbon fiber ones now for park riding.

my choices
xc - troy lee ones, not even sure which ones. they are old hand me downs xc's i think
AM/FR - fox unibombers. carbon on outside knuckles for the tight trees
DH - fox bombers - comfy and durable.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Ive been rockin TLD XC gloves for years, they last forever and are super comfy. Just make sure you get a proper fit or you could be poppin a few blisters after a good days riding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
do not buy dakine, things fall apart in a matter of trail minutes.
idk, I've got a pair I've been using for DH, trail riding, xc, and BMX (only in cold weather) for 6 months and they're still rock solid.

I also have a pair of 661 cedric's that have been holding up nicely.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
+3 or 4 or whatever its up to for TLD XC's. Great fit and dont fall apart, my specialized just did 2 days ago and they were my cold weather gloves for Snow riding! :mad: Now I have to find some warm gloves. Protection and urability is the TLDs strengths.

JonK are you having regrets about moving from SLOCAL yet! Damn colds got me anxious and the knees/back are hurting! Living on ibuprofen 600mgs 2+ times daily!!!!

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Another TLD XC glove fan. Tried them all, these are by far the best. They outlast almost every other glove I have tried. TLD's & other brands DH specific gloves tend to last about a week before falling apart.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Another TLD XC glove fan. Tried them all, these are by far the best. They outlast almost every other glove I have tried. TLD's & other brands DH specific gloves tend to last about a week before falling apart.
TLD seems to have a bunch of different XC gloves. Which model is it you favor?

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
just my bad luck or i don't know what ...but the TLD XC just didn't last me more than a couple of months. as a pattern, thay brake at the stitchings on the side of the thumbs (went through 2 pairs last season). Tried the Nema Breather after these and finished last season with em in decent shape. Will also try the Grasp this season in colder days

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
From my personal experiences, the 661's LOOK nice but don't last long. The longest lasting gloves I own are from Fox.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Am a fan of TLD but Ive had enough of MTB gear falling apart in a few months

My TLD bones are great but falling apart at the seams, stitching as are my new TLD gloves I rotate both every ride e.g have 2 pairs this time though I decided my 2nd pair I would try Giro' to compare with my TLD!

The Giro Remedy's are still like new and washed after every ride too, very comfy and breath well, I love the fit of my TLDs but they look fluffy tacky now and the stitching is going, am once again disappointed in the quality for price of TLD, this will be my last pair. Same with 661s I dunno how mnay pairs have been trashed, as with Oakley cheap Chinese made rubbish relying on the name from back in the day. Done with them period.

I'm going full moto from now on Thor, they are brilliant dam site more cost effective than most MTB, these stuff really rocks. But I may keep a soft spot for the Giro gloves if they continue to impress over the season, though they are nearly $30 more than my Thor Phase gloves um.

Don't even give me the Moto vs MTB argument about higher numbers etc, I just don't by into it anymore, being in both sectors for well over 20years, its old BS argument, especially as TLD make both and moto is cheaper again duh.

Does not compute.

Try the Giro's def worth a look, I had to go up a size to XLs, normal L, but value for performance and quality moto wins hands down for me :thumb:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm partial to Fox Sidewinders, as I find the snot/sweat rag pretty useful when riding in rain/fog or blazing heat.

My other requirements are 1) single layer palm; and 2) not 661s which fall apart within 2 months.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Holy thread revival Batman!

Since it lives...Thor Impact gloves. I've used Dakines (crap), Mechanix (not bad), and some no name hardware store gloves (Wells, maybe?) which were actually OK. So far though the Thor Impacts are doing great.

I think bike stores charge more for gloves because the can. More of a niche than MX I guess. Most often it is the exact same stuff though.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Alpinestars Octane MX gloves. Takes the gnar so my hands dont have to. Luv em.
Personally, for DH, i prefer the slightly heavier construction of an MX glove. I prefer busting an arm than a finger. You cant scratch an itchy arse with an elbow...

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
I like my Oakley factory pilots. (i think thats what they're named) one layer of thin leather on the palm, and a bit of cloth and foam on the top.. Very minimal glove.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Old thread, but might as well give another thumbs up to Thor gloves. I've been using Thor AC gloves for a while with good results. They seem to be holding up better than other gloves I've used. I have Fox Digits, Answer Syncrons and 661 Descends still in service and almost always choose the Thors. Use them for XC and some road riding too.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
imo the more comfortable the gloves are...the less protection they give you..

im using a pair of race face deux xc gloves for downhill at the moment..
they are very comfortable but the straps that hold them always comes loose...
but then my gloves are a tight fit so they dont slip off my hands ..
protection wise...these gloves are hopeless...the only purpose im wearing them is so my hands dont slip off my grips..i bailed and punched a tree a few days ago..my knuckles still hurt a bit

and comfort wise...i think it also has to do with what grips you are running..
thin gloves -- thin grips = WIN
thick gloves -- thick grips = FAIL

Last edited:

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I love my Rockgardn gloves, I will be getting another pair soon. They thin but durable, they stay pretty cool, and have carbon knuckle protection. They fit my hand perfectly and haven't stretched or shrunk in the wash. The bee's knees Itellya! :thumb:

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Am a fan of TLD but Ive had enough of MTB gear falling apart in a few months, just bought this lot back in Nov, started using in Jan!

My TLD bones are great but falling apart at the seams, stitching as are my new TLD gloves I rotate both every ride e.g have 2 pairs this time though I decided my 2nd pair of gloves I would try Giro' to compare with my TLD!s

The Giro Remedy's are still like new and washed after every ride too, very comfy and breath well, I love the fit of my TLDs but they look fluffy tacky now and the stitching is going, am once again disappointed in the quality for price of TLD, this will be my last pair. Same with 661s I dunno how many pairs have been trashed, as with Oakley cheap Chinese made rubbish relying on the name from back in the day. Done with them period.

I'm going full moto from now on, been rocking Thor unfotuantley also seesms chinese made but has quality, does anything get made in the US anymore or Italy or ?

Thor used to be Norse Tortsen Hallaman started this coy back in the or was there big rider, they are brilliant dam site more cost effective than most MTB, these stuff really rocks. But I may keep a soft spot for the Giro gloves if they continue to impress over the season, though they are nearly $30 more than my Thor Phase gloves um.

Don't even give me the Moto vs MTB argument about higher numbers etc, I just don't by into it anymore, being in both sectors for well over 20years, its old BS argument, especially as TLD make both and moto is cheaper again duh.

Does not compute.

Try the Giro's def worth a look, I had to go up a size to XLs, normal L, but value for performance and quality moto wins hands down for me :thumb:

Last edited: