Quantcast

best disc brakes?

Aug 20, 2010
mid missouri
i have a 2010 gary fisher advance with v brakes and i want to upgrade to disc. i understand the rims and frame needs to be compatible. what would my best options be in regards to disc brakes and brake levers?

Last edited:

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
I have older hayes (HFX-9) on my wife's bike... never a single problem. Rock solid perfect.

I had newer hayes (stroker carbon) on a more recent bike... they were horrible. couldn't keep them adjusted, hard to bleed, piston seals leaked ... etc.

I had Avid Elixir R brakes on the bike that was recently jacked in in Canada - those seemed really solid. easy to adjust... etc...

My new bike will also have Avid Elixir CR on them. They seem to be great brakes. Hope are also really great, but spares aren't easily available at local shops...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
My bike came with Avid Elixirs. I'd say they are awesome. I went from Avid Codes to these and they aren't much different in braking power. I'm pretty heavy, around 210 neked. They work great for me.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i have hayes nine brakes on my AM bike now but they're pretty beat up. i'm also looking at new brakes. how's shimano slx brakes?

Aug 20, 2010
mid missouri
My brother rides both BB7 manual discs on his GaryFisher HT and Elixir CRs on his Trek dual-suspension. The bike I'm looking at has Juicy 3 Hydraulic discs on it (Hoo Koo E Koo)

How do the BB7s compare to the elixirs and Juicy 3?

Last edited: