Quantcast

best downhill mountain..

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I am looking for a good all around mountain to go to..which one in New England would be better for long nice trails..?..It does seem like there are quite a few to choose from around here..I was pretty set on going to Jiminy but not sure if it is that good ..any recomondations.???...

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Are you looking for Expert style DH or all around?

Diablo Freeride Park is great but there are really no intermediate trails...almost all expert.

Killington is HUGE and has tons of trails of all levels but is not as built up with features as Diablo. They don't open till July 1st though.

Plattekill is also great but again it is pretty hardcore up there.

Mount Snow is similar to Killington but not as big.

Jiminy Peak is pretty small but a lot of fun. They only have one lift operating till late June I think.

Tom

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
Tom Church said:
Are you looking for Expert style DH or all around?

Diablo Freeride Park is great but there are really no intermediate trails...almost all expert.

Killington is HUGE and has tons of trails of all levels but is not as built up with features as Diablo. They don't open till July 1st though.

Plattekill is also great but again it is pretty hardcore up there.

Mount Snow is similar to Killington but not as big.

Jiminy Peak is pretty small but a lot of fun. They only have one lift operating till late June I think.

Tom
I am looking for nice all around trails ..never been to a big hill looks like it would be a blast..I have been on the board a little bit and will be at Highland at somepoint for sure....never thought of killington..good idea...thanks for the input...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
ktmsx said:
I am looking for nice all around trails ..never been to a big hill looks like it would be a blast..I have been on the board a little bit and will be at Highland at somepoint for sure....never thought of killington..good idea...thanks for the input...
If you want long technical trails...go to Whiteface...not a ton of intermediate stuff, but next to K-Mart, probably most vertical in the east...

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
WHAT!?!?!? Dude - Diablo has a mix of everything...
yeah if you want to ride down 2 trails all day. Your average XC beginner or int. rider would have a rough time. I know expert XC riders who wouldn't ride down most of the trails there. Other places like Killington have a lot more beginner and int trails than Diablo.

Tom

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Tom Church said:
yeah if you want to ride down 2 trails all day. Your average XC beginner or int. rider would have a rough time. I know expert XC riders who wouldn't ride down most of the trails there. Other places like Killington have a lot more beginner and int trails than Diablo.

Tom
:think: I would have to disagree.

I have ridden Diablo and had an awesome time each time I went. I would consider myself an intermediate XC rider and I really didn't have a tough time at all. Pay attention to the signs. Double-Black Diamond = :dead: ;) I thought that there were plenty of trails to ride and features to improve my skills on.

I have also ridden Killington and didn't really find it all that interesting. Sure, there were steeper, faster trails, but that's not what I was really looking for. I wanted to improve my technical decending skills and I did that at Diablo.

Just my $.02

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i didn't make it up in '05, but i've been a bunch of times since '01 and was there for opening day this year. it is still very much a great mountain, and some new trails are really cool.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
narlus said:
i didn't make it up in '05, but i've been a bunch of times since '01 and was there for opening day this year. it is still very much a great mountain, and some new trails are really cool.
Sweet! We were there in Summer/Fall of '04 but didn't make it up in '05. I hope to getup there atleast once this summer, but we'll see. Lots of fun stuff to ride there for sure :thumb:

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
yeah, diablo is very very hard, its rocky, steep, and on occasion slippery..if you don't mind getting the piss kicked out of you, its still a hell of a time.i want to try killington this year..try riding skyline drive in ridgewood, its just a bike trail, i plan on riding it soon.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
habitatxskate said:
yeah, diablo is very very hard, its rocky, steep, and on occasion slippery..
..good that is what I am looking for...if I wanted easy I would stay home..and drink beer...where is bromont...??...I think Highland will be my first try looks good....

FBMX123

Chimp
Aug 2, 2007
Connecticut
Diablo is rad, but the fact that there's only one trail that all the trails filter out to one trail kinda begins to wear on my constant need for variety quickly. I highly recommend Jiminy Peak. It's steep as a mother ****er in alot of areas, has some really awesome flowy terrain in others. The whole mountain is really tight singletrack, and kicks tons of ass to rail through...and it's only an hour and 15 minutes from me here in Storr, CT.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
If you want long technical trails...go to Whiteface...not a ton of intermediate stuff, but next to K-Mart, probably most vertical in the east...
Whiteface has a shuttle bus that access only intermediate to beginner dh trails.
We encourage all to start on the bus and then progress to the gondola if you have no problem on the shuttle bus runs.

With the advice and suggestions from the bus driver/guide we can get you on a variety of well marked trails.

Open Friday thru Sunday till 10-14-07.

Watch for upcoming specials for Columbus Day Weekend.

* 1/2 price lift tickets on Saturday October 6th
* Ladies Day # 4
* Treasure hunt (prizes, lift tickets, etc.)
* Professional trials show?
* This week is usually peak foliage or just past (awesome time to be in the Adirondacks)

Downhill Mike
Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
www.downhillmike.com
Size does matter!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Plus a dog (yes, a dog!!!!!!!) drives the Whiteface shuttle bus!
Yep.
A waiver is required to ride the bus and in the small print it says the driver is a Yellow Labrador Retriever.
The bus is a 1993 and Garth is a 1999.

Picture courtesy of Jim Mac's wife Maureen.

phisyrider

Chimp
May 4, 2004
No ones given Jiminey any love come on! Not the most tech mtn but if you are trying to hone in your flow there is no better destination!!!

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
yeah, diablo is very very hard, its rocky, steep, and on occasion slippery..if you don't mind getting the piss kicked out of you, its still a hell of a time.i want to try killington this year..try riding skyline drive in ridgewood, its just a bike trail, i plan on riding it soon.
Thats funny. My buddy lives in a development off skyline up a big ass hill. I never knew there were trails there.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Hunter has a pretty good set up.. there are more advance trails there but a lot of trails you can lift up and take the long way back.. more of an XC with chutes , ladders etc along the way down