Quantcast

Best Downhill Saddle

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I have been looking at seats and can't decide which to go for. I mostly ride DH and sometimes some FR stuff. I have been looking at the WTB Rocket V race. What are ya'lls favorite seats?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Get one that makes your bike look fast. The really thin uncomfortable ones usually do the trick. Then try not sitting while downhilling as it's way faster to stand!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
IF you have to pedal up hill get one that is comfortable. i have had a couple wtb rocket V saddles, liked them, now I am enjoying a SDG belair.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just get a nice light xc like saddle. XC people can sit on them so do you. If you want something that can take a git go fizik gobi.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
It really doesn't make a difference in downhill really. If you are sitting down a lot YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! Any cheap XC saddle fits the bill. Lightweight, pretty seats are for e-biking. A cheap take-off saddle from the lbs does the same thing, but you don't care so much when it gets destroyed.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I run a Sunline V-1 on my XC, 4X and DH bike. It doesn't help you since they are not made anymore, but the point is that it doesn't matter. On DH and 4X I hardly ever sit down. On XC I wear a shammy (not really sure how to spell that) to keep the boys and the tail bone comfy.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
The best saddle for DH is one that is light and doesn't get caught on your pants/shorts.
Kevlar SDG Bel-Air I-Beam & Carbon post imo. "DH" and "sitting down on a comfy seat" don't belong in the same sentance.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The best thing I ever learned was: there are a couple companies that have a device to measure your sitbones (notice my technical name for it). Its basically a squishy semi-modular foam material that you sit on for about 30-45 seconds, then measure where the imprints are. Specialized and Bontrager are the two companies offering them that I know of, although I'm certain there are others (and S./B. are probably not the first). Most saddles come with a 130mm or 140mm width. My sitbones are 134. I find 130mm saddles of almost any type to be very comfortable. I find 140mm saddles of any type to be very uncomfortable. I like a little depression for my balls/gooch to sit, so I don't have lots of pressure. Anything that fits those criteria works well for me. Light weight/doesn't catch my pants is a plus. The SGD-Ti Fly works out very well for this. They're super cheap, super light, and super comfortable.

I suggest finding a shop that you can measure your sitbones with. Its one of the few things in the bike industry that I feel makes a real difference, and isn't just marketing.

killsdeer4fun

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
I have a THE 4X seat and it does fine for me. The outside is slick so it doesn't catch my pants and its not ridiculously expensive though it is a bit slim but I don't sit down when I ride so the discomfort is never there. I've also never had any problems with the WTB saddles. Can't go wrong there.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
as above: it actually doesn't matter which saddle you have on a DH sled, just look that it is somehow rounded at the back end. my "Selle italia SLR something" (lightweight ti XC thingie with kevlar cuffs) beats up the inside of my thighs rather violently, after a weekend of riding i looking as if i had been raped in a turkish prison.... :-) but it holds up well and is rather robust. i got it at a clearence sale rather cheap, otherwise a rather expensive pleasure.
i used some fizi:k saddles (Gobi and others...) which were great, but rather expensive and delicate, a bit of a waste of money. Selle italia "flight" are rather common around here...

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Anything thin, Narrow, And lite. There is but one thing performance wize that makes a difference in DH for a saddle, and thats how easy it is to Navigate teh seat itself. Narrow so you can rock side to side better, Flat so when sliding back you dont get caught up on the tail of the seat, Thin because your really not looking for padding, you just want something to keep your downtube/seattube from molesting you.

Personally, I cant say enough for the THE seats, they are cheap, fit all the above needs for a DH bike, and you dont cry when you destroy them.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SA410A03-The+Mountain+Cross+Saddle.aspx

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
The cheapest one. If you think an expensive seat will make you fast you are delusional. I have a kalloy post and 10 yr old WTB seat on my relatively high end bike.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Something thin with a back end that doesn't stick up very much. Actually, one that slopes down quite a bit so it's easier to slide off the back of the bike and not have it catch on anything. Lighter is always better too - this is one place where saving weight pays off in handling.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
in my case, I have always tried to find good & light ti-rails xc second-hand saddles....this way you don't spend too much $$$ and if it gets broken you don't miss too much...

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
I'm pretty happy with my Selle Monte Grappa - Blade - it's a slice of heaven to sit on and when you're off it it's gone. At 180g it weighs next to nothing and the only issue is that it's not in production any more. The new one with the same properties is the "Race Culture"

I'm a fan of the super low weight bikes and parts but i am willing to give the extra $ if it's comfortable, and i know when i sit on in on one of the extra long tracks we have here i'll have a nice few moments of relaxation.

I did run the Tioga MC Lite before this one and it was 10g lower on the weight and a 100 times higher on discomfort but the price was pretty tempting and as a BMX race saddle it was up to spec with the proper form etc. It's the real race saddle but i like my comfort, so i got rid of it.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Being tired of bent rails, I switched all my mountain saddles to I beam. Bonus because I find the Fly and Bel-Air very comfy.

OB1

Monkey
I shopped in this order:

1. Durability/craftsmanship. Strong enough rails and material to make it through a year of crashes in mud and rocks. Not to mention ars impacts from drops or slipped pedals. This includes waterproof attributes. A sponge soaks up water, and then soaks my ars.

2. Outer shape. DH'rs use their seats MUCH more than most admit. Not to sit, but to steer/balance with our inner theighs. Sharp angled sides lead to heavier bruising. Longer, smoother sides lead to better control in more postures.

3. Nose and tail shape. Catching on clothes sucks! I find my shorts are the most important aspect of this. But the seat plays a role. And the tail should allow easy gliding for tucks.

4. Color. Can't lie....it's important.:D

5. Weight. In the grand scheme of things, the seat is a minor part of a DH rig. So the lighter the better AFTER passing 1-4.

6. Price. Same as 4. The cheaper the better AFTER passing 1-4.

83. Sitting comfort. Who cares? I just wish a company would focus on the DH'rs use of theighs to control their bikes. And then design shape and padding on the sides to accomidate. Any manufacturers out there listening???

You might swap the order of importance to meet your own personality. But this is the order for me.:thumb:

Last edited:

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
SDG I-Beam, I-Fly.
-No more bent rails (the cover can rip though, but is easily fixed with gaff or gorrilla tape)
-Small so it's not in the way.
-Light, losing weight up there actually helps with cornering and flicking the bike.