Quantcast

Best dumpster dive find

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
so, my husband and i clean out an office once a week for spare change. hate doing it, but don't hate the extra money.

this past week while throwing out the trash we found this:

a totally working ibook (including power cord and software). the office above the one we clean has an accounting office and one of the assistants was getting investigated for embezzling money. only guess is she threw it out because of that.

total score.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
so, my husband and i clean out an office once a week for spare change. hate doing it, but don't hate the extra money.

this past week while throwing out the trash we found this:

a totally working ibook (including power cord and software). the office above the one we clean has an accounting office and one of the assistants was getting investigated for embezzling money. only guess is she threw it out because of that.

total score.
Cool find!!

So...you just walk around ....looking for change??? :happydance::cheers:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
the office above the one we clean has an accounting office and one of the assistants was getting investigated for embezzling money. only guess is she threw it out because of that.
LMAO! SCORE, indeed!

"Ma'am, we're going to need to see your laptop computer."

"Sorry, I seem to have misplaced it."

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
A 1961 Hercules step-through framed three speed. It's in the process of being converted into a lightweight beach cruiser for my daughter. It'll be a two speed, thanks to a Bendix Red Band kick-back hub that was scored on eBay for cheap.

Attachments

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just be careful. Apple has serial numbers of all of their machines and their corresponding owners. If a federal investigation is underway for embezzling, they may want to figure out where that thing went. Just be careful you don't get bitten in the ass for alledged "evidence trampering" or something of the sort.

"officer, the cleaning lady stole it and wiped it clean, boohoo"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Find some good undelete utilities with Google and start looking at the hard drive, see if you can dig up the good stuff :D

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
great find.. I once found an old Schiwin Stingray in the garbage in a fancy area of Long Island.. It had a little rust on the rims but thats it

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Just be careful. Apple has serial numbers of all of their machines and their corresponding owners. If a federal investigation is underway for embezzling, they may want to figure out where that thing went. Just be careful you don't get bitten in the ass for alledged "evidence trampering" or something of the sort.

that would suck, but she's not even aware that anyone dug it out of the dumpster the night before the trashman came. and.... i was cleaning another office, not hers so i think i'm ok.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
No obvious files I could find yet. That thing has been really cleaned out.

It makes me wonder what fabulous things get thrown out all the time.

One of the most fun things I've ever done was throwing something into the dumpster at work years ago......

We had this Crossfeild scanner workstation that was obsolete (5 years old and it cost over $1,000,000 ) so we parked a large dumpster below the balcony (3rd floor) and 5 of us pushed this huge behemoth over the edge.... Man the noise when it hit!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

The boss was almost in tears though - It cost him over a mil 5 years earlier and it was what had made the company and turned it into one of the biggest players in the pre press industry down here.
Man it was huge though! With all the ancillary gear that it needed, it took up an entire 35ft by 15ft room!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think it is pathetic that Mr. Amydalayna has forced you to clean offices and go looking in dumpsters. I thought he promised you a better life than your threadbare existence in the slums of Manchester.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I think it is pathetic that Mr. Amydalayna has forced you to clean offices and go looking in dumpsters. I thought he promised you a better life than your threadbare existence in the slums of Manchester.
Nothing says I love you like wading through other people's trash

There's a great book about dumpster diving....forgot the name though

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Bell Helmets / Giro is located right near me. They normally have good stuff. Also right next door is Plantronics. I have grabbed stuff from there and returned it to Fry's.

I think my best score was a working 24 inch flat panel monitor or some of the Sun workstations I have found and sold on eBay.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
If you put OS X on it and it has a wireless card and 512 ram it would be a good knockabout laptop for web surfing/email. You don't need a case, the ring at the top is a handle.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Nice score. Too bad it's a Mac.

:D

I was looking for moving boxes outside of an office building and found a full copy of MS Office in the retail box. Unopened.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Try hanging around on beaches, one will wash up eventually (and you get a nice tan while waiting), although they can tend to be a bit smelly I found if they are a few weeks old. :disgust:
i go to the beach alot. still no body.
was snorkeling last week and all we found are some golf balls. very boring.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
i go to the beach alot. still no body.
was snorkeling last week and all we found are some golf balls. very boring.
If you found a body snorkeling that would be completely insane. It could be like that scene in Jaws(?) when the body popped out of the boat underwater. I bet you'd swallow some water during that one. Ewww you would have dead body water in your mouth, that wouldn't be bad ass.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
seeing some of her ride reports ..looks like she is doing pretty dammm good.....having fun is what it is all about...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

the obvious solution to that is to scrape off all the serial numbers. God you swear you guys have never stolen anything :cheers: