Quantcast

Best East Coast Race Bike

What's the best east coast DH bike? Since our trails (at least in the Southeast) are tighter with lots more slow speed turning versus flat out wide open, what do you consider the best right coast bike and why?

Evil Revolt
Specialized demo 8
Morewood Izimu
Trek session 88
Yeti 303RDH
Intense 951
others?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's no single "best" bike. Everyone is a different size and fits differently on each bike) and has a different riding/racing style.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Probably something shorter CS, sub 8inches of travel, and a low BB. More on the mini-DH bike side of things. Don't need a 9inch travel blow bike out there.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Probably something shorter CS, sub 8inches of travel, and a low BB. More on the mini-DH bike side of things. Don't need a 9inch travel blow bike out there.
sub 8 inches? we have massive rocks out here! V10s still kill it out here brah!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
What's the best east coast DH bike? Since our trails (at least in the Southeast) are tighter with lots more slow speed turning versus flat out wide open, what do you consider the best right coast bike and why?

Evil Revolt
Specialized demo 8
Morewood Izimu
Trek session 88
Yeti 303RDH
Intense 951
others?
You spend more days out west riding than you do around here bro. They're all so close in terms of layout, travel, dimensions, etc. Buy a frame made in the US.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If there was a perfect east coast bike, there would only be 1 bike to buy, not hundreds, everybody likes their own thing.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks

this is the best. provides fitness and motivation. this might be the factory option though, i couldn't find the specs. so the color of the outfit may vary with the models.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Jonny with your hook ups, I would say Trek. I know what your cost is on the Session 8 and no other deal is going to touch that. All of those bikes are nice and would work great here, but with a new baby and how the wife is on you spending $$ on bikes. I say your safe bet is stay with what you have or get the Session. Other than that maybe a Transition TR450 (your shop cost only)with your build kit off your Demo.

Cecil

Last edited:

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I'm loving my RDH. I've found the Geometry adjustments have a very usable range and do not affect the feel of the suspension. I usually slam the BB for wide open Mt Snow field highways, go in the middle for highland and run the highest/steepest setting for tight tech trails like Attitash. (Middle feels best overall)

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
If you look at the brands that finished in the top ten Gravity East Series overall you would find a solid east coast race bike.

Out of 20 riders there were 3 on Demos, 3 on V10s , 3 on Glory's, 3 on Ironhorse, 3 on Sinisters and then a few misc...brands

Pro Men
1 Specialized demo 8 MULALLY
2 giant glory MEMMELAAR
3 Santa Cruz V10 ORTIZ
4 Specialized demo 8 HULSE
5 Evil Revolt Faulkner
6 Comencal CAYLEY
7 Santa Cruz V10 Moody
8 Ironhorse Gosselin
9 Sinister Fbomb Vaughan
10 Morwood Higgerson

Cat 1 Junior Men

1 Santa Cruz V10 RUDE JR
2 IronHorse GROSS
3 Specialized Demo 8 MULALLY
4 Sinister R9 PENSLER
5 IronHorse Mcnulty
6 Giant Glory COUTURE
7 Sinister Fbomb syron
8 Giant Glory Mallory
9 Mongoose Budd
10 Rotec Milkiewicz

Last edited:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
If you look at the brands that finished in the top ten Gravity East Series overall you would find a solid east coast race bike.

Out of 20 riders there were 3 on Demos, 3 on V10s , 3 on Glory's, 3 on Ironhorse, 3 on Sinisters and then a few misc...brands
not to jack the thread, but what is your avatar?

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
Socom. Seriously. Or Jedi, the 65 degree head angle is about berfect for the tigher stuff, but still stable on the pinner sections. I have a socom for sale in the classifieds! :D

You spend more days out west riding than you do around here bro. They're all so close in terms of layout, travel, dimensions, etc. Buy a frame made in the US.
Last year it may have been split 70/30 for the east, but that is not the norm. It's usually 95% on this coast. For the record, I'm not looking for a new bike as I really like mine. Just wanted to hear people's opinions as a buddy of mine and I were talking about lower bb's, short chainstays, HA's etc.... and what would work better here vs. out west.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
everything.

"East coast" geometry typically means steeper HA and higher BB, with shorter CS. That doesn't mean good riders prefer any of that.

I think something with good braking, since there are plenty of steep AND rocky sections...but everything else is user preference.

Seems like a lot of people out here are liking Jedis...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Last year it may have been split 70/30 for the east, but that is not the norm. It's usually 95% on this coast. For the record, I'm not looking for a new bike as I really like mine. Just wanted to hear people's opinions as a buddy of mine and I were talking about lower bb's, short chainstays, HA's etc.... and what would work better here vs. out west.
In that case, DHR or Sunday...which is the new DHR...so yeah, DHR. ;)

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
v10 deffenetly should be up there.
Disco-volante,granted I've never tried one,eny karpiel or canfield or exotic maker of the sort.
Good rider helps too.
And this one specialy,

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i like my jedi, i know of alot of people that do, personally most (all) jedi owners argue that on the east coast, with the massive amount of rocks we have, the rearwards is the biggest advantage, not saying everybody must agree, but that is why there are alot of jedis on the east coast.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i like my jedi, i know of alot of people that do, personally most (all) jedi owners argue that on the east coast, with the massive amount of rocks we have, the rearwards is the biggest advantage, not saying everybody must agree, but that is why there are alot of jedis on the east coast.
I thought the amount of Jedis on the east coast had to do with the high
Midi-chlorian levels.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian