Quantcast

Best fork for dirt/4x?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
i hate posts like this, but i'm never on this forum.....

i'm building my evil DOC back up and was wondering what the best all around fork would be for dirt jumping/4x....i want something stiff, heavily damped and short on travel....

argyle?
marzo?
manitou?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I got my first ride in on my new 08 Marzocchi 4x yesterday , tuned and lowered to 65-mm . WOW this thing is super-Bad finally Marzocchi listened to my suggestions , or at least they made the same changes I have been asking for over the past 3 years .
The new 4X is everything I could want in a 26" Urban and jumping fork , super light ultra stiff great damping and nice slippery nickel coated stanchions .

Only problem is they look too nice , serious thought I was getting jumped by 3 men of African decent on the light rail as they kept telling me "thats a dope bike homie "(standing a little closer than I like) .... "Ah thanks " :-)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I got my first ride in on my new 08 Marzocchi 4x yesterday , tuned and lowered to 65-mm . WOW this thing is super-Bad finally Marzocchi listened to my suggestions , or at least they made the same changes I have been asking for over the past 3 years .
The new 4X is everything I could want in a 26" Urban and jumping fork , super light ultra stiff great damping and nice slippery nickel coated stanchions .

Only problem is they look too nice , serious thought I was getting jumped by 3 men of African decent on the light rail as they kept telling me "thats a dope bike homie "(standing a little closer than I like) .... "Ah thanks " :-)
Brad so how do they look for tuning? I might be sending mine to you at some point after i ride it...

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
not so bad compared to a 36....id love to ditch my nem pro tuned 66 for one of these....mmmm 4lbs

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Well you asked for MSRP, That's MSRP on the 4x, I dont make the prices .
Thoes nickel coated stanchions aint cheep , neither is the RC3 cartrige , cool features yes cheep NO

For refrance the new DJ1 is basically the 4x from lst year this retails for right around $400

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, I'm wondering how the new DJ1 will compare with my old '06 DJ2 that is slammed to 50mm. I know mine doesn't have the greatest internals, but it serves the purpose and holds up. It also weighs in at 5lb 9oz w/ solid bikes crown race, star-nut, axle/nuts/topcaps/oil, etc., so not really that bad, although I wouldn't mind dropping weight (there's a pretty big difference when I swap between my boinger and my Rebate).
Wondering how much I'd drop going to a tuned '08 DJ1? don't want to dish out for the new 4X really at this point and I hate the look of nickel plate/chrome stanchions...
and yeah, the crown/top-caps should clear a Molly just fine. I've got a Gen1 with the centered headtube and clearance is no issue (only issue really was with the Pike).