Quantcast

Best front suspension set up for trials/urban???

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I have a rigid dedicated trials bike and Ilike it for course work but it sucks for anything else. I also have a Giant STP with a Z150 FR SL and its a great bike for urban hucking, but I want a front fork set up that works better for trials (less travel and more firm). My other bike is an Azonic Steelhead SS with a Rock Shox Psylo U-turn and in the lowest setting it feels great for urban and trials type riding however its a bit squishy. Any info on a nice firm suspension fork set up greatly appreciated. What do you guys ride?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
don't get the SID it just too weak. but yeah get a rigid its the only way to learn trials, the right way, the way that punishs you a little for using bad technique.

RIGID ONLY!

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
if you had to get one, i would say a pike slammed down in the travel, and the lock out on full so its super stiff.

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
i usually ride an Echo mod, rigid of course, but for a 26" street/trials bike I am building I am using a Rockshox Duke XC with the air preload. I have about 200PSI in that thing and it's pretty stiff, so i'll see how it works out.

biker

Chimp
May 27, 2005
not many peeps roll a suspension fork for trials. however, I run one on my urban short bike and I love it. It's a cheap manitou skareb 80mm, with the compression turned up all the way. it's perfect and it's taken many big hits no problem.

if you have a marz, check out www.ryanleech.com and he tells you how to make it alot stiffer

Atomatik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
London, On, Canada
i use sherman jumpers on my planet x ghost,and they do me real nice. although they are the 110mm version, still nice. my other friend also has a ghost with fox talas 125r forks, and they can be set to be uber stiff. not stiff enough? just change the springs or add air pressure.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I used to run a Sherman Jumper 80 MM on a P X Zebdi and it was awesome. It wasn't as full on trials as a rigid would be, but it added some cush for if I decided to ride more street/urban trials or cruise by the skate park. Right now I run a Pike on a Cowan and I just have it locked out on 95 MM all the time and it's perfect, but it would throw off the geometery on a trials bike just a tad.

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Q: Best suspension fork for trials.
A: None. Unless you are sponsored by a big bike company like NORCO or GIANT. Then I'd highly recomend a shortened (>80mm travel) Pike, or Marzocchi fork with extra stiff springs or a freakload psi of air.

sled_ed

Chimp
Nov 12, 2005
memramcook N.B. canada
monster t`s are great for trials i would realy recomend it to a beginner !!!!(jk)

small rock shox like sid or something are good a lot of people use them and they work great!!

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
A SID is the last thing I would put on a bike let alone a trials bike. Rock Shox BLOWS. Give me Marz or give me death.
Whos got the best suspension corrected rigid forks??

Atomatik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
London, On, Canada
planet x or funn is your best bet if you want to go ridgid. the funn has a 20mm axel, so if you have 20mm hub you won't have to switch. the funn is 4" travel corrected as far as i remember, don't know about the PX.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
sids are garbage. even for xc... trials... no way. I think an older marzocchi 80mm like the atom race or marathon are the ticket. Stong, light and low maintenance. Leech has good results with em too.

biker

Chimp
May 27, 2005
I agree that rigid is the answer for core trials.

If you want to do alot of two wheel landings and such, like mr. norco, than a susp fork starts to make more sense. it makes for a less harsh effect and can look more supple/smooth when landing imo

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I would say an 80mm Manitou because of the low crown height,

I internally modified my Marzocchi DJ to 65mm, which was pretty easy. I pumped as much air in as it allows to keep it stiff.
Its really heavy, and I wouldn't reccommend it for true trials.

I ride street with some trials-ish moves here and there, so its perfect for me since it's ultra burly, it holds up to the abuse.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Reba. They are stiff, and strong. I know people who dirt jump on them. They are more stiff than any marzocchi xc fork. Way more stiff than any Sid. If you get one, get one that is air, reduce the travel so its not as tall, and ride it locked out. That way your correction hops will be easier, and you'll still have the suspension when needed.

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Planet X, Gusset Jury, Echo Hifi, Echo Urban, Peyto Trials fork...

Anything NOT suspension. Suspension is for MTB, not for Trials.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Suspension is for MTB, not for Trials.
depends on what kind of trials... dedicated trials? no, rigid is the best thing for that. It's light and saves you energy. However!... If you have lets say... a dedicated trials bike, and you have a giant stp that you want it to be a bit more trialsy and less huckster kinda thing, then a suspension fork would be an awesome choice for that. I've ridden a stp with a rigid fork, and the geometry was just too low up front. So I would say a suspension fork set up at 60-100mm of travel (tops) would be an ideal set up.

Also, because you have a z150 and the 20mm thru axle wheel, you could always just go with a pike and keep the same wheel, however the reba and a qr wheel will be lighter. It's all up to you.

I'm in a very similar boat. I have my desalvo trials bike, it's rad, I dont' want to get rid of it for any reason, I also have my desalvo dj/4x bike, also awesome, but I find that when I'm riding it, I am in situations where I want to be able to do more trialsy moves, but the trials bike in that situation is just too dedicated. I can't bunny hop it, and I can't manual it... That's what I like about my dirt jumper... Why oh why cant' there be something in the middle?... Oh wait! I'll just build one!... Wait, I already did! I just need my reba and a front wheel and I'll be set! right now I'm running a disc front wheel with a non disc fork... therefor I only have a rear brake... dang! It has a 71' headangle with 0mm bb drop, adjustable 15.25-15.75" chainstays(I can and am running single speed at the moment). It rides pretty nice so far, but It definatly needs some work.