Quantcast

Best Full Face Helmet

Matt Glenn

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
White Rock, B.C., Canada
Greetings,

I am in the market for a full face helmet and wanted to consult the board here for experience/knowledge before proceeding. I used the "search" function and had no luck turning up any solid info comparing helmets.

Is there anyone out there that can help shed some light and guide me in the right direction as far as the quality of protection offered up in the mountain bike industry these days?

I have researched MotoX helmet theory and design but would prefer to stay with a mountain bike specific helmet that adheres to our industry's standards.

Many thanks to those who choose to respond with knowledge that can be used.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, "our" industry's standards would certainly be more lax in terms of protection offered... if that's a concern you have.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
MotoX standards are higher IIRC (motors = more dangerous, at least that's a simple way to put it).

I only know of SixSixOne and Fox Racing, I know there's other brands but I couldn't tell you names. Can't say I'm too sharp on the topic (I still ride with my old Giro helmet from two years back), but I do remember reading that most people just use MotoX helmets.

Matt Glenn

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
White Rock, B.C., Canada
Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I say our industry is because most Moto helmet's materials are too hard/dense for the majority of the impacts we as downhill/freeride mountain bikers experience. The increased size, hardness of shell and density of liner can hurt you just as much as it could help you with riding a mountain bike. There appears to be the odd Moto helmet out there that could be used but I would prefer to stay with a helmet designed more specifically for this sport.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I say our industry is because most Moto helmet's materials are too hard/dense for the majority of the impacts we as downhill/freeride mountain bikers experience. The increased size, hardness of shell and density of liner can hurt you just as much as it could help you with riding a mountain bike. There appears to be the odd Moto helmet out there that could be used but I would prefer to stay with a helmet designed more specifically for this sport.
Well....kinda...

Any impact to your head (whether you're on a Ninja 600 or a Demo 9) at 15-20 mph is going to be bad.

I can tell you with the utmost confidence that my Fox V3 Moto helmet saved my ass for 2 years (at Whistler I had 3 bad wrecks where anything less than a moto lid would've gave up the ghost pretty quick). Just grabbed a Bell Moto 8 for this season.

You want a Giro Switchblade or a TLD (both good helmets, among others), go for it. Just keep in mind what type of riding you do.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Oh, another good idea would be just go into your local bike shop and see what they have. chances are if they have full face helmets for sale there they will serve just fine for MTBing.

I'm sure when you crash you won't care about the densities of foam and thickness of plastic. I'd be pretty stoked if my head wasn't cracked open or horribly deformed, which probably won't happen if you're wearing a full face helmet, regardless of "intended use". Keep in mind DH crashes are some pretty intense ****, so truth be told I'd rather have a helmet that will stay together than just explode when I hit a tree and I end up getting fvcked over anyways.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I like the TLD D2, but at retail they are quite expensive.

Check out the Giro Remedy or the Bell Bellistic, but try them on first as the same size helmet from different manufacturers can fit totally different.

Matt Glenn

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
White Rock, B.C., Canada
Back in the day I remember watching a buddies cheek being sliced open from switchblade helmet jaw piece shattering ***shudders uncontrollably*** 12 stiches later and permanent scarring = never, ever, ever, ever would think about owning that helmet.

I am not against owning a MotoX helmet just the literature I have gone through leaves me questioning as to whether or not its the right choice for the riding I'll be doing. I am aggressive and will be bombing the local Vancover mountains as well as Whistler. I guess its time to start burning some gas and just getting my ass out there to try on a million helmets.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
So many different head sizes and shapes and so many different helmets. I just go with one that fits well. Currently I'm using 661 Comp and a THE_industries carbon.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I fell a bit cramped inside when I wear it with goggles but it fits my roundish head pretty well. It's a composite shell. I've crashed quite a few times with it and it's protected me pretty well. Raced 1.5 seasons it it. I only bought it cuz it was all I could afford back then ($50) I wanted the 661 Bravo Carbon but it was beyond my price range (210).

Matt Glenn

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
White Rock, B.C., Canada
Damn the Bell Moto9 and FOX V3 are sweeeet helmets. I would consider either of those helmets, both are in my price range. I am still left weary by their weight. After a long day of shredding my neck would be torched from the extra weight. Guess its the price you pay for running with helmets in that league.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Damn the Bell Moto9 and FOX V3 are sweeeet helmets. I would consider either of those helmets, both are in my price range. I am still left weary by their weight. After a long day of shredding my neck would be torched from the extra weight. Guess its the price you pay for running with helmets in that league.
That's a big drawback with MX helmets. I almost went that route to save $$ but I'm glad I took Ozzer's advice. I can wear the full face all day and be comfortable. I don't think that would be the case with an MX helmet.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I spent 20 days at whistler last year (7 in a row, riding everyday at one point) and had absolutely no neck tiredness issues with the weight of my V3.

For what it is, it's actually incredibly light. I'd say 2 days riding with that bad boy, and you won't even notice it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got a sixsixone pro bravo. Not bad, but a little warm in hot weather. The padding around the cheeks is a bit slack for my head compared to my bro's Giro.

Don't buy online. That's what I did. I got a killer deal!, but the fit is "okay".

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Go to a well stocked freeride/dh shop and buy what fits. The fit of a TLD may be worth the price. I know it was for me when I bought me SE.

The debate over MTB vs moto helmets is long and complicated. It has been hashed out here many times.
I lawn darted a jump on A-line and landed squarely on my head on very hard dirt /rock. I didn't have a headache at all. That was proof enough to me that moto helmets work for DH.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I liked the fit of the Giro Remedy but the face guard felt a little close to my mouth so I didn't buy. I love wearing my zebra helmet. It's light, it fits my round head great, and it's easy to clean.

Which brings up one often overlooked (but not as improtant as fit)point... serviceability. Is it easy to clean? My 661 comp isn't, but the THE industries is. I hate funky helmet smell so I keep mine pretty clean... untill the next crash.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
One more vote for the TLD SE. Great fit, well ventilated and you can take out the inner lining and wash it.

I acutally broke my first SE riding with a couple of monkies flying into the dirt head first and just like buildyourown no headache.

Big fan of moto helmets.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
One more vote for the TLD SE. Great fit, well ventilated and you can take out the inner lining and wash it.

I acutally broke my first SE riding with a couple of monkies flying into the dirt head first and just like buildyourown no headache.

Big fan of moto helmets.
I replaced mine too after that crash. I slid so far on my face that the face guard was worn through to the fiberglass.

As for the weight: You will feel it in your neck the first 1-2 rides of the season. After that, nothing. I personally believe that strong neck and shoulder muscles important in avoiding injury.