Quantcast

Best game console for a 9 year old

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got the Wii with fit board and 4 controllers 2 years ago. When Live was doing the cash back program, I got something like 30% back and I got it off ebay for way cheap. I ended up saving about 50%, made for a good day.

My daughter is 10 now and still plays it quite a bit.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
New xbox with kinect. The time of the wii has passed. That way you can jump around with your kid. Then hop on Black Ops on XBOX live and get headshotted by me when he is sleeping.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
New xbox with kinect. The time of the wii has passed. That way you can jump around with your kid. Then hop on Black Ops on XBOX live and get headshotted by me when he is sleeping.
He wants to jump around having fun, not in frustration and anger.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that would be great and all, except for the widespread issues with kinect, the fact that kinect is an add-on peripheral that's $100+ on top of a console that's already more expensive than a wii, and that only a fraction of the x-box game library is kinect compatible. edit: even the most basic kinect/console bundle costs $100 more than a wii

and judging by the fact that he's asking for video game advice on a mountain biking site just screams that he's going to jump right into playing CoD :rolleyes:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that would be great and all, except for the widespread issues with kinect, the fact that kinect is an add-on peripheral that's $100+ on top of a console that's already more expensive than a wii, and that only a fraction of the x-box game library is kinect compatible. edit: even the most basic kinect/console bundle costs $100 more than a wii
dont forget the power adapter that it doesnt come with

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
and judging by the fact that he's asking for video game advice on a mountain biking site just screams that he's going to jump right into playing CoD :rolleyes:
hate hate hate.

3 of my co-workers have purchased the Kinect, and have given it glowing reviews. denjen did not mention cost. I have known denjen for over 5 years, and several of other people who know him are on xbox as well. Go find another parade to sh!t on.

I would rather spend my money on something that ac tually has a little bit of control and sensitivity. The controls on the wii are garbage, and the games are targeted to kids that are in the 5 to 10 year old range that denjen's son will be growing out of shortly.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
hate hate hate.

3 of my co-workers have purchased the Kinect, and have given it glowing reviews. denjen did not mention cost. I have known denjen for over 5 years, and several of other people who know him are on xbox as well. Go find another parade to sh!t on.

I would rather spend my money on something that ac tually has a little bit of control and sensitivity. The controls on the wii are garbage, and the games are targeted to kids that are in the 5 to 10 year old range that denjen's son will be growing out of shortly.

Someone woke up on the sensitive side of bed this morning I see.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hate hate hate.

3 of my co-workers have purchased the Kinect, and have given it glowing reviews.
So this will nullify a number of reviews I've been seeing describing games as "un-playable"

denjen did not mention cost.
but he did mention it being for a 9 year old, and given how quickly kids can lose interest something, minimizing financial impact would definitely be a consideration

I have known denjen for over 5 years
want a cookie?

several of other people who know him are on xbox as well.
I know people who have friends that smoke crack. Doesn't mean I'd recommend them trying it.

Go find another parade to sh!t on.
I would, but the Klan isn't holding any parades today. Besides, last night was taco night so the aftermath has to go somewhere.

I would rather spend my money on something that ac tually has a little bit of control and sensitivity.
so you're obviously not buying a kinect :D

The controls on the wii are garbage.
sorry, not everything can be:

and the games are targeted to kids that are in the 5 to 10 year old range
sure, I'd let my 8 year old play CoD, Resident Evil, Dead Space....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love the Wii and the fit board is fun for Shawn White snowboarding, but I haven't tried the new skate game. The Tony Hawk board is a turd from what I've seen.

I need a little more movement for skating than the fit board has. Kinect is a cool concept, but I don't think it works as well as they want you to think it does.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wii... better suited to a kid, good hardware (i.e. no ring of death like xbox), lots of fun games, sensibly priced.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Maybe ask your kid which one he wants? All 3 systems have games suitable for all ages. If you get an xbox or PS3, just be sure to check the games he's playing. There are definitely some games out there that a 9 year old shouldn't be playing.