Quantcast

Best general setup for San Jose area?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm moving to San Jose here within the next few weeks, and I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to have my bike setup is. Basically more along the lines of should I have 3 rings up front or does it make more sense to have 2 small and an LRP type system of some sort? At the moment I don't have a DH bike, so I'm figuring this bike will have to take everything and go everywhere. I just want to make sure that the bike is ready to go as I don't think I will own a DH bike for a while. I'd like to hit Pacifica, Santa Cruz, and anything else I can find before school starts, so let me know what makes sense. Thanks.

Dave

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't think you really need a third ring around here. Stuff like Soquel, you will be in the trees pretty quick, and there won't be much need to hammer.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Personally, I think that either the Nomad, 6point, or a Reign are the perfect bikes for this area.

Fairly light (34lbs. or less, depending on the setup), VERY climbable, and all 6-inch bikes which is plenty for some XC/All-mountain riding, picking up and moving fast downhill, and all well built for jumping, etc.

I'm personally running a single 36t with a Gamut P40 on my 7point. It's kinda' high and feels more like leg-pressing myself up the hill. Ideally, I think a 36t outer ring with a 26t granny would be perfect. But that's just me.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Sounds kinda like what I was thinking; I wanted to run a double, and up the two remaining gears with an LRP. I may have to get a slightly shorter stem for my Enduro SL though to make it a little easier to jump, still feels a little XC.