Quantcast

Best Grease?

Djmp3

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Vermont
What would you suggest for me to lube my chain with it after i clean and degrease it?

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use Finish Line, which comes in a Wet and a Dry version. In the wet areas, use the goopier Wet version, Dry for road and such.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When it comes to lubricant, I've had good luck with Pedros, and even tri-flow in a pinch.

When it comes to grease, pure lard or bacon fat. Bacon fat is probably easier to come by unless you have a local butcher. Crisco is a no-no.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I like chain-L oil. It takes a little more time to set up, but it lasts a really long time.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I like Dumonde and Bosheild T9, but whatever you do make sure you clean off the chain first, then drip just a bit on, and make sure you wipe the excess off. You'll find most lubes are pretty good as long as you keep your stuff clean.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
T9, Pedro's Synthetic or Dry, or Finish Line Wet or Dry lubes have all worked well for me...even Tri-Flow is OK. I avoid White Lightning because it's more of a wax than a true lubricant.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
its easier for me to find a ****ty lube than it is an outstanding one.

White Lightning? ****ty. Avoid.

Most others do their job sufficiently.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you have a polycarbonate bashguard you must use a lube lacking petroleum distillates as they will dry out the plastic and make it brittle/prone to cracking. A synthetic lube would be best in that case. Its not just a warning label on bashguards, it really happens. Mine cracked and I was an early adopter before it was common knowledge about that issue - I was using prolink chain lube, so avoid petro lubes with plastic bashguards.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Dumonde or A.T.B (Absolutely The Best). The second one is my favorite, but its more expensive.

-B-

Chimp
never use a oil that has solids in it IE teflon or wax as they have a way of migrating and finding a way to bond in areas that can cause serious performance issues. The solids also do not clean easily off the chain with normal chemicals.

Always clean a new chain down to bare metal then lube each roller with one drop each let it sit for 45 min then return and ensure it is not dry if so oil again and wait. When the waiting is over wipe the out side of the chain until it is dry and clean.

Oil belongs on the inside of the roller in a chain not on the out side, if oil is on the out side of the chain it picks up debris and make a crude and coarse lapping compound that wears away at cogs, pulleys and chain rings.

check your chain every ride wipe it and oil as necessary being sure to keep the out side as dry and clean as possible

I suggest using only high quality syn oils my personal favorites are Pedros products they tend to bod with metal a bit better than most others.

If you want to save on a drive train rad riders should change their chain every 1k-1.2k mi of off road daily riders should change every month. Smaller monthly expenditure instead of tri monthly major bills. I have had pros get a season to a season and a half on one cassette.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I like Rock'n'roll Gold for the MTBs and Dumondtech for the road bike. Both keep the chain clean. If I was regularly mountain biking in wetter areas, I'd consider something other than the Gold, although it still works well in the wet. Both applied to chain, which is then rotated continuously for a minute or two to help distribute the lube and help it work into where it needs to go, then wiped clean with a rag.