Quantcast

Best Helmet Cam?

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Who makes the best helmet cam? I've been looking at the Samsung sport cam, but the reviews seem kind of mediocre. What do you guys think?

Idealy I want one that's easy to use, takes good video, and will still work when I crash on it.

Thanks
-Mark

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
When I'm looking at helmet cams, typically they can be broken down into two parts - the bullet cam, and the recording device. For the bullet I'm tempted to buy a 580lines one, because they're not that more, and it sounds like that will be better video quality. But am I right in thinking that most recorders will record at whatever res they like, so regardless of whether you have a 420 line or 580 line camera, a given recorder may record at 640x480 byt interpolating the 420input or throwing away some of the detail in the 580 input?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have a Vholdr prototype here. No cables, solid state micro Sd card. It has frikkin' lasers!

We will be shooting world cups with it all summer, just working out some last minute bugs now. I shot with it all week in chile and when we weren't having it fall off bikes and get trampled, the quality was really good. It is just about broadcast quality for a POV camera, i can post up some clips in a bit.

It definitely will take a beating, that I can guarantee. This one feel off at full speed onto cobblestones numerous times and was run over, kicked and basically tumbled down chilean hillsides.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I used the Vio POV1 for a video shoot with Ducati last month (ballin!)....and I'm pretty sure its the best out there as far as helmet cams go.
Pros
- It can shoot in widescreen format too, which is helpful for those folks like me that shoot in HD, which makes it easy to drop into a 16:9 sequence.
- It has the highest lines of res available for current helmet cams.
- viewing screen for play back/deletion of clips.

Con
- Pricetag.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I used the Vio POV1 for a video shoot with Ducati last month (ballin!)....and I'm pretty sure its the best out there as far as helmet cams go.
Pros
- It can shoot in widescreen format too, which is helpful for those folks like me that shoot in HD, which makes it easy to drop into a 16:9 sequence.
- It has the highest lines of res available for current helmet cams.
- viewing screen for play back/deletion of clips.

Con
- Pricetag.
Con #2 - wires and a recorder that has to be worn in a pack. Hard to get racers to do during training. That is my big issue with it. We have 2 of them ready to go at freecaster, but would be hard to convince people to use them in practice.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Con #2 - wires and a recorder that has to be worn in a pack. Hard to get racers to do during training. That is my big issue with it. We have 2 of them ready to go at freecaster, but would be hard to convince people to use them in practice.
its not huge, you wouldnt notice much at all when riding fast.
Alot better than the full backpack and duct taped camera to my helmet I used at bikebattle in baltimore. Flipping witih that stuff on made me nervous, like I would have to write a big check if I smashed it aha.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
true. this is the only downfall I see. But for non-race situations I don't see a huge problem with it....but i can see how racers would be reluctant to do some runs with a small pack on.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Awesome... tons of good advice.

So from this I gather the helmetcamera.com system is the best deal for a rookie like me?

I'm completely camera illiterate, what do the line numbers mean... I'm guessing I should get the HC-1 middle option 480 line deal? I want something that's going to look good on a laptop and possibly be edited into a video.