Quantcast

Best intermediate/advanced trail at Galbraith

sudhamike

Chimp
Nov 26, 2003
Heading up to B'ham on Monday to ride in the rain. Any input as to favorite trails? I don't mind being terrified, but would prefer to survive. :think:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Only been once. We started up at Scorpion and worked our way towards Shaun's Trail. There were a couple/few other trails we hit, but don't recall the names. They all had nice little technical features - log rides, quick steeps and even a few jumps spread throughout.
If you don't have one yet, get a map at one of the B'ham shops - well worth the $5-6 you spend on it.
We rode in the middle of summer when it was dry, so I'd imagine it will be a fun challenge to say the least - I don't mean that sarcastically, either.:cool:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
The problem with Galbraith is there seems to be alot of changes and different people have different names for some trails. i would say buying a map would be a good idea if you don't have someone guiding you. A compass doesn't hurt either.... Also almost everything there has an easy-out so you don't have to commit if you don't wanna, but there is something for everybody up there for sure regardless of skill level.

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
sudhamike said:
Heading up to B'ham on Monday to ride in the rain. Any input as to favorite trails? I don't mind being terrified, but would prefer to survive. :think:

There are a lot of good trails to ride. And nothing is terrifying. Try riding up the ridge, through the fun center, and then up towards the top via the deathclimb or the intestine. Then maybe loop the cabin, then purple heart to camp fire to pollo to fun center to either the ridge or bobs. Hope that helps.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
roscifer said:
There are a lot of good trails to ride. And nothing is terrifying. Try riding up the ridge, through the fun center, and then up towards the top via the deathclimb or the intestine. Then maybe loop the cabin, then purple heart to camp fire to pollo to fun center to either the ridge or bobs. Hope that helps.
Sounds like a good route... but I have one thing to say - some things are terrifying - like a log ride that looks dry but is really wet and very slick, ladders like that too, etc. I got turned completely around on a trail by a diagonal and very slick log. Just be careful for wet roots/logs, they can set you off course from time to time. Not terrifying, but scary enough, especially the ladders in the wetness.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
loop the cabin, then purple heart to camp fire to pollo to fun center to either the ridge or bobs.

Bobs is definately a good run out. If you park at whatcom falls park you can take bobs to karma out to the car and finish on a long dh

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Yeah, Bobs is a sweet trail. Super flowy and long enough to get into the "grin zone" (ie endorfins are flowing). I usually ride up the ridge as its a nice techy climb, and then descend Bobs.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I've been up there like 5 times, and it's quite simple. Go the steepest way at every turn. Now go past the towers, and ride downhill. When finished appear in a myriad of locations around B-ham, return to point a and repeat.

HINT: your car is parked slightly south of lake Padden. Ask anyone in B-ham how to get there.

Shauns beats out bobs as my fav. Bobs is just badly conceived. PEDALPEDALPEDALTOOMUCH

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
man galby used to be awesome...then it got chopped slowly...

i used to climb to the towers and come down wonderland->keystone->cabin->purple heart->kungfu->911->chutes->car

but i havent been back since they sawed shawn's bridge->logride->drop combo.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
roscifer said:
Maybe you should give it another try ;) ;) :devil:

i really should, but every time im passing the wwu/sammamish way exit on 5north, im heading to the woodlot...maybe one of these days ill stop in and do a ride on galby again. i used to really love that place.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
seand said:
i really should, but every time im passing the wwu/sammamish way exit on 5north, im heading to the woodlot...maybe one of these days ill stop in and do a ride on galby again. i used to really love that place.
Yeah, once Scotty is back to 'normal' (hopefully soon, poor guy) we should spend a day up there. I know he's been wanting to check that area out for a long time.:thumb:
On the same note, Woodlot is only a hop, skip and jump from there so I can't blame you one bit for going there.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
how about we do a day at galby once scottie is happy and riding again? im going to have to build my bike down to a manageable xc weight seeing as galby doesnt need rear travel or more than 4" up front.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
seand said:
how about we do a day at galby once scottie is happy and riding again? im going to have to build my bike down to a manageable xc weight seeing as galby doesnt need rear travel or more than 4" up front.
Ummmm.... That depends on how fast you like to go, etc. It can be done on rigid bikes, but then again, you cant speed down the good downhill trails quite as good. I ride my HT with 5" front fork up there just as good as I ride my Stinky with Jr.T.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
downhill trails? sure, there are some trails there that a larger fork would be beneficial on, but most of galby is xc. even on the stunts that once were there...a small travel bike was more than enough; atleast it was for me.. *shrug*

either way, im looking forward to getting back up there to revisit what once was my weekend happyplace :)

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
seand said:
downhill trails? sure, there are some trails there that a larger fork would be beneficial on, but most of galby is xc. even on the stunts that once were there...a small travel bike was more than enough; atleast it was for me.. *shrug*

either way, im looking forward to getting back up there to revisit what once was my weekend happyplace :)
I can be your guide, because the mountain has probably changed a bit. I just mean that you dont have to have a superlight XC bike, I pass people on XC bikes going uphill when I am on my stinky (In a higher gear too).

dwaugh said:
I can be your guide, because the mountain has probably changed a bit. I just mean that you dont have to have a superlight XC bike, I pass people on XC bikes going uphill when I am on my stinky (In a higher gear too).
WHat are you doing Sunday? A group of us is coming up that way to ride, but we are looking for some DH/stunt trails??? My friend is trying to cap off his film he's making to send in for sponsorship, know of anything that's SICK? Where's this Woodlot everyone is talking about? I've heard that Simmons section on The Collective is up there somewhere?

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Yeknomedir said:
WHat are you doing Sunday? A group of us is coming up that way to ride, but we are looking for some DH/stunt trails??? My friend is trying to cap off his film he's making to send in for sponsorship, know of anything that's SICK? Where's this Woodlot everyone is talking about? I've heard that Simmons section on The Collective is up there somewhere?
Http://www.gutsploder.com

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
Yeknomedir said:

The woodlot is a good place. A very good place :heart: However, the current logging activities have made it a good idea to avoid it for the next couple weeks.

fyi, simmons segement in the collective wasn't at woodlot. However, part of his segement in nsx 7 was.

roscifer said:
The woodlot is a good place. A very good place :heart: However, the current logging activities have made it a good idea to avoid it for the next couple weeks.

fyi, simmons segement in the collective wasn't at woodlot. However, part of his segement in nsx 7 was.
That segment from what I've heard from some guys up in BC was that it was in the Northern Washington area somewhere...? I'm hoping it's this spot were headed to tomorrow, something about a 40 foot road gap sounds tight to me ;)