Quantcast

Best lighter dh tires for Whistler/Squamish??

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey all, I'm heading up to Whistler and Squamish in a few weeks and am wondering about the best rubber to bring. I'm on a 42-pound-plus bullit and currently switch between Maxxis Mobsters and Intense 909. I rode the park last year and felt that the 909s were awesome but a little heavy for groomed trails and pedaling around the valley, whereas the Mobsters seemed on the light side. I know I can't have the perfect tire for all conditions but there has to be something lighter than the Intense tractor tires but that is more durable than the Mobsters. So the question is, what is the lightest 2.5 or bigger dh tire you suggest for a week of different conditions in the Whistler area? Not really interested in tubeless right now, thanks.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by OGRipper
Hey all, I'm heading up to Whistler and Squamish in a few weeks and am wondering about the best rubber to bring. I'm on a 42-pound-plus bullit and currently switch between Maxxis Mobsters and Intense 909. I rode the park last year and felt that the 909s were awesome but a little heavy for groomed trails and pedaling around the valley, whereas the Mobsters seemed on the light side. I know I can't have the perfect tire for all conditions but there has to be something lighter than the Intense tractor tires but that is more durable than the Mobsters. So the question is, what is the lightest 2.5 or bigger dh tire you suggest for a week of different conditions in the Whistler area? Not really interested in tubeless right now, thanks.
Continental Diesel 2.5... it sits at around 750-790gr.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
Maxxis Minions. They are a bit heavier on the tread side than the Mobsters but still have a thiner sidewall for an overall lighter weight. As with other Maxxis Tires, they work best at higher tire pressure, so that should be good for riding those groomed trails.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I liked a 2.5 mobster in the front and 2.5 highroller in the back.

I am thining about putting the nevegal on my bighit though, just for a change.