Quantcast

Best Maxxis tire combination?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
What do you guys suggest is the best tire combination? I have heard using a minion and high roller combination is great.

The majority of the trails I ride are not super rocky.

Suggestions?

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I ran the Minion/High Roller combo all winter, and was not a huge fan.

I love High Rollers, and I love the Minion. But I found that as a combo they didn't work well for my riding style.

I find the HR has more flat out grip, but when it lets go it is very abrupt with little warning. On the flip side I find that the Minion slides very predictably and progressively but will start sliding earlier than the HR. The problem for me was with the combo the front would start sliding before the rear, and then the rear would snap oversteer and I would blow out the turn. I also find the HR lasts a little longer which I think is why more people run them on the rear.

I now just run a HR/HR most of the time now. I personally like it in hardpack/loose over hard/rocky and muddy situations. Which is most all of the riding in SoCal.

I run the DHF/DHF (dont like the DHR much) as a race only tire at places like Fontana, where rolling resistance is important. I also think the tire handles better in extremely loose ground conditions, such as sand, deep dust and loamy dirt.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth.

Brent.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for all the info Brent.

I ran HR and HR years ago but cant really remember how it handled. It was at the begining of my riding career so I didnt have much of a sense for things like that then.

For the last 2 seasons I have been running Kenda blue grooves on my DH, and its time to get back to some better tires. (I was running them because they were a prize I won at a race).

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
meh. I still like high roller front and rear. Nice a predictable and rolls good too.

I can only really say that because I have a minion in the front right now. It's alright, but not my favorite.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
meh. I still like high roller front and rear. Nice a predictable and rolls good too.

I can only really say that because I have a minion in the front right now. It's alright, but not my favorite.
Thanks for the info Brian.

I think I am probably just going to run high rollers.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
you should really try spec clutch up front, chunder in the rear. i have been telling everyone who asks this question to try them. the combo is absolutely amazing. you will be very pleased with the results. i have also run chunders ft and r and been impressed with the results as well. the specialized tire offering this season is def on par with (and IMO above) maxxis

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
you should really try spec clutch up front, chunder in the rear. i have been telling everyone who asks this question to try them. the combo is absolutely amazing. you will be very pleased with the results. i have also run chunders ft and r and been impressed with the results as well. the specialized tire offering this season is def on par with (and IMO above) maxxis
and i know you asked about maxxis tire option, but if you are in the market for trying something new, just thought i would throw it out there

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
My team mates and I run different combinations depending on the course since we race/ride from the East Coast to CO, mostly East.

Some of us love the DHF (F) / HR (R) combo, personally I think it’s the s--- in the dry. For the deep dust the DHF/DHF was a better set up for me. I checked out other racer’s tire selections in the lift line at the Nationals and there was a multitude of Maxxis combinations, I was surprised at how many choose HR/DHF.

On a wet course like Snowshoe I choose a DHF/DHR to stay alive but I drag a set of Swamp Things to every race and I've never used them. Last year I did try a DHF/DHF in the peanut butter but I felt on the rear they didn’t clean themselves any better than the DHR.

I think that tire selection is so subjective and based on personal preference there is no right or wrong, just my opinion.

Btw..Jenson is unloading some rubber. Does anyone have anytime on Ardent C3’s? If so, what’s your review?

J

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
high roller front and rear for me. i love them, not the minion so much i feel like on hard pack the minion wants to give out on me as a front tire. i just feel way comfortable with HR's on the east coast without a doubt. i have been racing/riding on them all year, besides the US open where my front wheel washed out on me going thru a flat turn. tires fault? maybe i blame it of course :rofl: but ever since then ive been running HR f/r combo. love it.

edit: used the super tacky's in 2.5 all year until like oct. i tried the HR 3C compound and its pretty nice. im diggin it. didnt notice anything really. both are good compounds 60a? maybe not so much? never had the heart to buy a 60a.
blah

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
both are good compounds 60a? maybe not so much? never had the heart to buy a 60a.
I really like the 60a compound for freeriding. (rear only) Long life and easy to get playful with. I find they last close to twice as long (really) as 3C, which I prefer to use as front tires only or in pairs for racing. They're awesome for what they are; a rear tire that keeps you from destroying your good rubber on non-race weekends.

Me personally I'm a DHF/DHF guy. I like the profile better than the (round) HR. It's been a long time since I've ran a HR as anything but a rear tire, so I could suprise myself I gave it another try, but my preferences suggest I'm a DHF guy for the long haul.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Honestly you can't go wrong with either of them in SC, F/R high roller will probably be a little faster though.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Btw..Jenson is unloading some rubber. Does anyone have anytime on Ardent C3’s? If so, what’s your review?

J
I ran them this season. Didn't get to ride DH that much, but the time I spent on them I liked them. Good for standard conditions; probably not good when it gets wet, but I didn't try them in any serious mud. Rolls pretty fast and still corners well. I don't have anything bad in particular to say about them, though I don't think they offer any more outright grip than what I usually run (DHF both ends), probably a bit less. The thing that made me want to run them was the volume and rolling resistance; I love the DHF but wanted a slightly wider tire with more air volume and a bit less tread. That's what I got. So, I think they're worth a try, especially if they're on sale.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Have to say DHF/DHF. Recently switched to this combo and while it is a little looser in a straight line, just feels grippier in turns and on rocks/roots. Plus a major bonus is it's far more economical - when your rear tire gets worn out replace the old front with fresh rubber and move the old front to the back.

cpaassens

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
Christchurch, New Zealand
I run 2.7 super tack high roller front and 2.5 60a minion R on the back, I have used this combination for years now and I find it holds on really well in the NZ conditions.

Wet screams in the wet though,

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
^ thats a combination I was wondering about. I cant seem to change the minion up front since its never let me down yet and I just plain ol trust it now, 3C is nice. Its great to have a fast rolling rear and most riders are saying the Ardent needs to be leaned well over to grab, not always an option on my local trails, so doesnt sound perfect for a front for me. On the rear it may work.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
DHF 3c front,DHF 60a rear.Both 2.5's.
thats the way to do it.
the 60s have awesome grip and are still quite soft. I had a hard time noting anything different. The only place i wish i had a sticky compound on my r tire was @ whiteface on those off camber slickrock steps and mud in the open slope up top. everywhere else it was a non issue.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How does the 2.5 HR compare in size to the 2.5 DHF. Ive hear the HR is actually bigger. Is this correct?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
HAs anyone thought of running a minion upfront and an Ardent on the rear?
I guess looking at it, it might be a hard one to get tyre sizing right on. The 2.4 Ardent is suposed to be large volume and I think bigger than a 2.5 Minion. The 2.25 has some mixed reviews so the best match might be 2.4 Ardent rear with a 2.7 Minion.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I just tried an Ardent 2.4 on the front of my AM bike today. I was getting more cornering grip then with a Minion 2.5 on the trail I was on (hardpack/loose over hardpack/loose rocky stuff). I'm definitely going to try them on my DH bike.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I guess looking at it, it might be a hard one to get tyre sizing right on. The 2.4 Ardent is suposed to be large volume and I think bigger than a 2.5 Minion. The 2.25 has some mixed reviews so the best match might be 2.4 Ardent rear with a 2.7 Minion.
2.25 Ardent has small knobs and would be best for a mostly hardpacked track

2.4 Ardent has much bigger knobs and is slightly bigger than 2.5 Minion

Ardent rolls much faster than Minion F or Minion R. Pretty sure it rolls faster than a High Roller, but it's been a while since I rode High Rollers so I'm just going on memory there.

I've ridden the Ardents in 26x2.25, 26x2.4, 29x2.25 and 29x2.4. It's probably the best tire Maxxis has made yet, in my view.