Quantcast

Best mechanic's stand & basic tool set for the beginner mechanic?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For you, the one at your local shop, manned by a professional...

EDIT: I use the Ultimate Pro Stand, but you might get the bench mount. Any of my DH bikes I have to support the front wheel.

J

JRB

I have the basic park stand. I have lots of tools bought individually, but I posted a link to some Nashbar kit I think for someone a while back. If I can find it, I'll link to it. I like the Ultimate stand too. If you have a post bigger than 27.2, the cheap Park stand works fine. I get along with smaller posts too, but it took some getting used to.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Bike flipped over and whatever tools you have in the garage. :D
Do you lower your saddle or do you get on the roof of the house to work on it??? :rofl:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I have a Park stand that works well. Other useful tools - cable-snips (proper ones), ball-headed allen keys (not made of putty), Crank tool, BB-tool, rubber mallet, chain tool, spoke key, decent track pump.

IMO it's not worth getting a drift for headsets - you can fashion your own for getting the bottom race onto your forks but how often do you need the change headsets in frames?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
fluff said:
I have a Park stand that works well. Other useful tools - cable-snips (proper ones), ball-headed allen keys (not made of putty), Crank tool, BB-tool, rubber mallet, chain tool, spoke key, decent track pump.

IMO it's not worth getting a drift for headsets - you can fashion your own for getting the bottom race onto your forks but how often do you need the change headsets in frames?
The most important in my book!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Milk crate, vise grips, 12" crescent hammer, allen key set from the dollar store. With those, I can fix anything!

The only bike-only type tools I have are a crank puller, peddal wrench, and a spoke wrench. Everything else I have is made by Craftsman. I don't own a stand, but I often use the one at the shop, along with shop tools to install/upgrade/replace crap I purchase there.

I have used shop space to install ebay items, but only in addition to shop purchased items as well.

J

JRB

Yikes - I only paid $25 from Nashbar 2 years ago. I really like a 4-5-6mm y-wrench with non-ball ends for most things.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
SkaredShtles said:
Never, as far as I can tell.

Hold on........ I think I recall replacing a headset back in '94. :D
That's the thing; it's the only job I don't do myself because the proper tool is around $100 and most shops will do it for free if you buy the headset from them, and charge about $10 max if not (get a good relationship with a shop and they'll do it for goodwill).

Anything else is actually very easy, just remember to tighten everything that should be tightened... I have often forgotten one thing when building a bike from scratch: seatbolt, stem(onto steerer..), disc mount bolts... makes the first ride more fun.:)

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Ultimate Pro Elite stand and I like Park or Pedros tools. Both have a beginner kit available or you could piece it together.

This isn't the cheapest way to go but since you'll be working on a pair of high dollar bikes, why skimp on the tools?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mike B. said:
Ultimate Pro Elite stand and I like Park or Pedros tools. Both have a beginner kit available or you could piece it together.

This isn't the cheapest way to go but since you'll be working on a pair of high dollar bikes, why skimp on the tools?

true dat!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I took my bike into the shop for a pre-race tune up and inspection and they failed to find two of the four bolts on the granny gear chain ring missing...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Secret Squirrel said:
You didn't notice when you were out crankin' on the trails?? I've had bolts come loose and it feels whack, I can't imagine just plain missing two...sux to the shop though for missing that!
I don't ride in granny gear often but at the race I did in AR a couple weekends ago there was some long grinding hill climbs and this is the result of two missing bolts during race conditions...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
N8 said:
I took my bike into the shop for a pre-race tune up and inspection and they failed to find two of the four bolts on the granny gear chain ring missing...
Start a thread exposing how much they suck on this site and others and see what happens.

Please!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Am I the only person that thinks much of Park's stuff is overpriced, overhyped crap? Granted, they have a few tools that are awesome, but from my experience Pedros, Craftsman, hell many Lifu tools are on par with Park's stuff.

Does Park have a lifetime replacement thing?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
blue said:
Am I the only person that thinks much of Park's stuff is overpriced, overhyped crap? Granted, they have a few tools that are awesome, but from my experience Pedros, Craftsman, hell many Lifu tools are on par with Park's stuff.

Does Park have a lifetime replacement thing?
No they don't. That is why I have Craftsman wrenches and a lot of tools. I also have some Lifu, Campy, Shimano, and Pedros tools. Park stuff is good, they have awesome customer support, and if you can buy direct or get a shop deal on them they are a good deal. If you buy the kit I suggested before retail, then you kind of get a deal as you are buying quantity.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
umm no question, this one
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=6&item=MK-129:rofl:
thats like 3000 bucks, but it will give you all the tools you will ever need, just not the know how(not even barnetts can give you that)

coming from a professional opinion, pedros tools suck big hairy monkey balls.
in the past 3 years i have gone through 3 pedros 5 mm p handles, 2 cassette tools, a bottom bracket tool, and countless other stuff from them. only one of my park tools has worn out and it was the only home mechanic grade tool in my box!