Quantcast

Best Mnt Bike under $800 bucks

Sandy

Chimp
Apr 3, 2002
Boulder
Monkies,

My best bud wants to buy a mnt bike and only has $800 bucks.

Used primarily for Colorado trail riding and trips to Moab.

He wants a hardtail...can anyone comment?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Kona's will get him there - spent many seasons on a Lava Dome without complaint. For that bike and price range he could also go clipless, get shoes, helmet and hydration bag.

Lots of options for used also.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If you or another friend knows bikes well, then the used market is the way to go. If he's going to need a shop to service it, then the best deals on new bikes come from the major companies: Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Kona, Jamis, Iron Horse.

I'd personally avoid the Cannondale's as they're (IMO) more race oriented. Giant seems to put together the best component packages for the price, but really fit is the most important thing. So find as many bikes at the shops as you can in his price range, and have him just try them out. Whichever he's most comfortable on will serve him the best.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I'd go with a Giant Rainier. I just picked one up for my wife last week. It has an air shock, so you can adjust it to just about any weight. Avid disc brakes on front and back. It's an all around great bike. My wife loves hers. It only cost $699 too. He can use the other $100 to get a helmet and other gear.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by mr_dove
I'd go with a Giant Rainier. I just picked one up for my wife last week. It has an air shock, so you can adjust it to just about any weight. Avid disc brakes on front and back. It's an all around great bike. My wife loves hers. It only cost $699 too. He can use the other $100 to get a helmet and other gear.
Yeah thats a good bike.

I'd lean towards a good steel hard tail. Steel is tough and easily repaired. You can check out steel HT's from Jamis and Rocky Mountain at the Sports Garage.