Quantcast

Best Moments in DH History?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
After Danny Harts amazing run it made me think about what some of the best moments in DH history have been? Doesn't have to be a race winning thing, just bad ass. What comes to mind for me is(sorry in advance if I screw up the names of riders or venues): Sams run at Champery in 2007(?), Dannys, Pascal in 2003 at Grouse Mtn, Cedric doing that crazy pass in the 4X at Andorra a few years ago. I know Nico did some epic stuff, but that was before my time. I think Cedric and Kovarik had some big winnning margins but it was before I got into DH. Pictures or video is great.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
some American named Gwin slaying the competition this year
Gee and Rach winning World Champs the same year
Gee, Rach and Dan all winning their events the same race

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
-Aaron Gwin's top 10 on his first WC race with bar hump (2011 domination already mentioned above)
-Steve Peat finally winning Worlds
-Sam Hills run at Champery a few years ago

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Hill in val di sole, it spawned the ''LOOK AT THE TIME'' and his win last year at champs and when Peaty finally won his stripes down in canberra

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
palmer's win at big bear was epic. not sure why, but i can't get on the gwin bandwagon, despite his current dominance. danny however, for sure. dorky kid riding the ragged edge to victory - awesome. loved some of barel's all or nothing world's runs - like last year on his whack singlecrown bike. hill @ champery for sure...

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
palmer's win at big bear was epic. not sure why, but i can't get on the gwin bandwagon, despite his current dominance. danny however, for sure. dorky kid riding the ragged edge to victory - awesome. loved some of barel's all or nothing world's runs - like last year on his whack singlecrown bike. hill @ champery for sure...
have to agree with some of barels antics....fort bill 07 landing the g out to flat on the kona...respect

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
For me it was watching Canberra live, seeing the emotion from Peaty when Gee was down on time was amazing! I think I enjoyed it so much more 'cos of the track, I'd convinced myself the racing was gonna be ****. How very wrong!

Sams Champery run on one of Clay Porters films (F1rst I think, probs wrong) still gives me goosebumps.

Danny's win obviously! We'll be talkig about that forever!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Peaty winning worlds.

The swede with speed (Johan Engrstom) riding on ANY mud track.

Leigh Donovan winning the 95' worlds, and the entire french federation booing her at the podium.

Anything Tomas Misser.

Danny Hart's 2011 Worlds Run.

Cully jumping the bridge at 92' Worlds.

Anything Anne Caroline.

Gwin becoming the first american to kill the entire world cup series, and make every racer go home this fall/winter and get their sh1t together.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
On a personal level I really enjoyed seeing Beaumont get his second World Cup victory, his first had a lot to do with conditions, his second was purely him being the best on the day. I grew up reading MBUK, they always had road trips with Beaumont and stuff about him being Peaty's protege. Was nice to see those boots being filled and also why I'd like to see Beaumont on the Syndicate.

Rennie getting his stripes on the old Iron Horse was awesome, he was such a great rider who could seemingly smash booze, backflips and huge drops whilst still be pro enough to win worlds. Such a shame he's stepped off the gas.

Kovarik, Ft.Bill, mud, 14(?) seconds. Jaw dropped for sure. Still can't believe how he did that. The guy is a menace

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Rennie getting his stripes on the old Iron Horse was awesome, he was such a great rider who could seemingly smash booze, backflips and huge drops whilst still be pro enough to win worlds. Such a shame he's stepped off the gas.
Rennie won his stripes as a Jr pre-IH. In 03 w/ Iron Horse/Madcatz he won a World Cup round at Alpe du Huez. Sam won Jr Worlds that season at Lugano.

-ska todd

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Moment of 2011 was the look of complete bewilderment on Peaty's face when Gwin crossed the line 6 seconds faster at PMB.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
In person, Anne Caroline at Mt Snow Yard Sale with no rear tire, only the rim. Unreal.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
King losing the DH in Helen '94 when his qr seatclamp hooked his rear brake cable locking up the rear wheel. Wow.

Palmer clipped in and squeezed into a vinyl bodysuit at Mammoth in '97 was pretty memorable.

Having Todd Tanner and Jason McCroy turn up for one of our local 500ft of vert DH races in Florida might take it though just in terms of kookiness.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Being in the crowd/rabble/riot at Triple Treat for Peaty's World Champs. Knowing that if it wasn't an Aussie on top that at least everyone was totally stoked to see Peaty finally get it. I still get goose bumps thinking about how awesome that day was!:thumb:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
mick pascal hucking by the finish line at vars(i think) circa 2002?....also, pascal at grouse.... kovarik at ft. bill by 14 seconds....nico in transcontinental at bromont....someone please post a clip...

...i'll have to keep racking my brain

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
When you look at the times everyone pales into insignificance when you compare them to ACC.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
One of the most historic things is not obvious yet. 7 years ago the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) decided to eliminate the downhill mt. biking at Whiteface Mountain. It wasn't easy, but after 6 weeks of stressful negotiations, they reversed their decision if we took over all responsibilities. Well, 7 years ago we did take over all responsibilities, and my dream job was created.

One of their reasons for deciding to close was people just were not coming. So, we took it over as a private business and have increased our numbers by 500%. We still have a long way to go but have been moving in the right direction since day 1.

So, let's flash forward 5 to 10 more years. Whiteface has hosted several world cup races and have churned out some top world cup riders. Historical!