Quantcast

Best month to visit Italy?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We're gonna visit several wineries in Northern Italy, do some bike rides (so not winter?), visit the scenic/historic sites.

So, which month is best and why?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is that my stalker?

Or perhaps a regular who forgot to log out of their "new" account? :)

But yeah, honeymoon :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
LordOpie said:
We're gonna visit several wineries in Northern Italy, do some bike rides (so not winter?), visit the scenic/historic sites.

So, which month is best and why?
If by Northern Italy you mean all the way into the Alps, then late June early July would be great. Down lower, May would be great. If you time it right you could make some of the Giro.....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the only time i've been in italy was in november, and it snowed in Chianti. needless to say, the wineries were not open.

that said, there was not a crush of tourists, and things were at a more relaxed pace. but the weather was kinda crappy, aside from Rome. Siena had cold rain, and Florence was cool and overcast, w/ some rain.

i'll let you know how rome is in june, after this june.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DRB said:
If by Northern Italy you mean all the way into the Alps, then late June early July would be great. Down lower, May would be great. If you time it right you could make some of the Giro.....
Thanks! But not sure about the alps.

narlus said:
i'll let you know how rome is in june, after this june.
please do! Post a trip report?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
definitely will post a trip report.

if you wanna hit some wine places, you gonna pick either tuscany, piedmont, or try to hit both? of course, veneto, umbria and other places also make good wine, but the 1st two are considered the powerhouses.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
possibly: fly into Milan, drive through Piedmont with stops in Tuscany and Rome back up the east coast to Veneto and back to Milan. I think.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
For bike riding I would say you'd be fairly safe any time between April and October. I'd bet September would be the best. Summer crush is gone, grapes are being harvested, weather should still be warm. :thumb:

My wife & I spent 10 days in Italy on our honeymoon. Good times.

That said - the best months to visit Italy are any time between January and December. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
LordOpie said:
possibly: fly into Milan, drive through Piedmont with stops in Tuscany and Rome back up the east coast to Veneto and back to Milan. I think.
:drool:
I would love to visit Italy some day. Soooooo many medieval sites!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
LordOpie said:
Oh yea driving in Italy will get you killed, Americans just don't have the guts needed to stay safe behind the wheel over there. Trains are a much better idea, or hire a driver.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
Oh yea driving in Italy will get you killed, Americans just don't have the guts needed to stay safe behind the wheel over there. Trains are a much better idea, or hire a driver.
Nonsense. We got by just fine in Italy. We only missed one exit, and made a 200km detour - which was worth every single mile, BTW. It was amazing.

The drivers tend to drive FAST, and 3 wide on a 1 lane street. When being passed, it is the PASSEE's responsibility to get out of the way, not the passer. The exits are a bit odd, as they are by town name on that road. no numbers. The big deal is, those towns mentioned may be the smallest little village on the road off that exit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Transcend said:
Nonsense. We got by just fine in Italy. We only missed one exit, and made a 200km detour - which was worth every single mile, BTW. It was amazing.

The drivers tend to drive FAST, and 3 wide on a 1 lane street. When being passed, it is the PASSEE's responsibility to get out of the way, not the passer. The exits are a bit odd, as they are by town name on that road. no numbers. The big deal is, those towns mentioned may be the smallest little village on the road off that exit.
The funniest thing about driving in Italy is that everyone follows a strict code whilst driving on the Autostrada, but once off the highway it's a f***ing free for all. :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
The funniest thing about driving in Italy is that everyone follows a strict code whilst driving on the Autostrada, but once off the highway it's a f***ing free for all. :thumb:
We drove about 100km on the autrostrada. Soon as we got off of there, it was all out war. The views on our detour were worth every second though. Motionboy and I had an amazing time, and shot some amazing pictures. We both wished we had spent more time tooling around and taking life easy shooting pictures, Italian style.

I want to go back, badly.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
SkaredShtles said:
It's a free for all averywhere in my experience, not that it isn't entertaining. It's allot of fun but you have to have mad skills to keep up.

Also stop at green lights so the guy running the red won't hit you. Go on red lights so you don't get rear-ended by the guy running the red behind you.

It's like driving in Mexico but way better.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
LordOpie said:
we'll do some LARPing while we're there.

lightning bolt! lightning bolt! lightning bolt!
OK... not to derail the thread or anything but I just have to point out that the only way you would have posted that is if you really have done LARP! :eek:

And I would like to point out that those LARP people are too geeky even for me!

:rofl:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Transcend said:
We drove about 100km on the autrostrada. Soon as we got off of there, it was all out war. The views on our detour were worth every second though.
We drove in Carrara along the coast and at one point were on a 6 lane street with about 9 lanes worth of traffic. It was pure, unadulterated mayhem.
Motionboy and I had an amazing time, and shot some amazing pictures. We both wished we had spent more time tooling around and taking life easy shooting pictures, Italian style.
When we spent the summer in Europe in '99 we spent a good part of 3 weeks in Italy. Man that place kicks a$$.

I want to go back, badly.
We're gonna go back too. Just gotta figure out how to afford airfare for 5 people. :think:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Transcend said:
Now I am not an experienced traveler by any stretch, I've only been to Ireland, but while I was there the same thing happened to us. We took a wrong turn and ended up figuring out a different, longer route to get to the next town. And it was worth every extra minute.

Even having only been one place I can see the benefit to getting a car and driving around, no matter how challenging the local traffic is.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sidenote: Motionboy can rally a punta around the small mountain passes in the alps like a friggin champ. Best drive of my life. I think I peed myself twice.

We also got out doors utterly blown off by an 18 WHEEL CAB on the way into livigno, on some of the tightest, steepest, narrowest roads I have ever been on.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I'm renting a villa in Vicchio, about 20KM northeast of Florence in late May.

The chianti region is great in May, from mid june through september all the europeans are on holiday and everything fills up.

If you want some recommendaitons, pm me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
driving outside the cities was cake. driving in the cities was absolute mayhem, as close as it can come to a full-contact sport without actual physical contact. and the scooters swarm like angry bees.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I highly recommend the car in Europe as well. Drove through France, Belguim and Netherlands on a trip, will have a car in Italy.

Never done it on the other side (England/Ireland) but having wheels at your disposal is a huge upside for any trip.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
narlus said:
driving outside the cities was cake. driving in the cities was absolute mayhem, as close as it can come to a full-contact sport without actual physical contact. and the scooters swarm like angry bees.
Yes, rent your car at the airport, they are always on the outskirts of town near the motorways. Be sure to check a map, most major cities have multiple spots to rent from (most major rail stations have car rentals as well.)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Austin Bike said:
Yes, rent your car at the airport, they are always on the outskirts of town near the motorways. Be sure to check a map, most major cities have multiple spots to rent from (most major rail stations have car rentals as well.)
And rent it online before you go. We saved probably 35% by doing this! And try and get a fiat punta. Amazing little car with a huge amount of getup and go, and small enough to push around town though traffic.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Transcend said:
Sidenote: Motionboy can rally a punta around the small mountain passes in the alps like a friggin champ. Best drive of my life. I think I peed myself twice.

We also got out doors utterly blown off by an 18 WHEEL CAB on the way into livigno, on some of the tightest, steepest, narrowest roads I have ever been on.
Ahh, yea, we didn't get our doors blown off by the semi, we got our doors blown off by the box truck while following the semi!
We were hauling following a semi through towns that had roads that were no wider than the semi itself, when we got out of the towns and up on the mountain passes we picked up speed even more. The little 1.2L Fiat punto was doing pretty good, then we saw a avalanche tunnel up ahead and a box truck came out of no where and passes us like we were standing still on a less than 2 lane mountain road just before a crazy turn into a blind tunnel. It was crazy...and fun.

My favorite was the guy that passed us on the 999r with the chick on the back! THERE IS NO SEAT ON THE BACK OF A 999R!!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Well, in Ireland I can see the glaring benefit, since the public transportation blows a$$ there. :p
Not in Dublin it doesn't. The trains were clean and on time. We didn't take the busses since we walked, but saw them everywhere. The driving was insane, as Narlus said. It was the only place I decided not to drive. But it was OK since the taxis (which could sometimes be an adventure themselves) were everywhere.

Of course my only recollection of the place is very recent. I can't comment on the state of things 9 months ago or earlier. :) And my experience was very positive since I was on my honeymoon. :love:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Motionboy2 said:
Ahh, yea, we didn't get our doors blown off by the semi, we got our doors blown off by the box truck while following the semi!
We were hauling following a semi through towns that had roads that were no wider than the semi itself, when we got out of the towns and up on the mountain passes we picked up speed even more. The little 1.2L Fiat punto was doing pretty good, then we saw a avalanche tunnel up ahead and a box truck came out of no where and passes us like we were standing still on a less than 2 lane mountain road just before a crazy turn into a blind tunnel. It was crazy...and fun.

My favorite was the guy that passed us on the 999r with the chick on the back! THERE IS NO SEAT ON THE BACK OF A 999R!!!
Italian chicks don't need seats. And construction works don't need pants.
Seriously, brazil will be fun. Rally the rainforest!