Quantcast

Best motorcycle for a beginner

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Would a GSX-R1000 be a good beginner bike then?

[YOUTUBE]squid[YOUTUBE]
I'm sure you can get that one for cheap :D

I got my bike and my permit. I rode on a closed street with a friend for about 2 months waiting for the class to start (wait lists are a bitch) going through all the drills they did in class.

I had ridden a LOT of dirt long before I considered a street bike, so the hand/foot controls were second nature and that made a huge difference.

But get a bike that fits you. If the ninja fits, start with it. If you feel comfortable on the SV650, roll that. I don't recommend a dual sport or super moto for anyone because they suck as a commuter and they can teach you bad habits (leg out while turning comes to mind). If you want one as a second bike, then cool. I own a street bike and a dirt bike, both are purpose built.

I am looking at an R1 this weekend in preparation for the advanced class and track days in the Spring.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I had never ridden a motorcycle & was always asking myself the same questions. I wanted a street bike........but knew that I would die on one, so I went ahead and bought a DRZ400SM. 400 dirt bike, street tires.........seemed like a good mix. Plus there was nothing bad about the DRZ I could find. Stock they are sluggish a little bit, but cheap to get faster and TONS of parts for them out there.

I've had it for a few months now. Best investment I've made in a long time for something that is a toy. I got a textile jacket, my full face (arai XD3), gloves, and shoes are next. I've never ridden any other motorcycle, but this one as a starter bike so far seems to be spot on.

Supermoto is picking up in popularity as well. So only good things to come for the bikes and the sport.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Don't be a pussy get the fastest most powerful motorcycle you can afford. Shoot for the stars and have your grandmother cosign a loan for it... Then drive it to the local bar park it on the sidewalk out front and rev it up until all the lights in the houses in the neighborhood go on and challenge the first person that says something to you to a race. Set your beer down before you race. You will need to buy some expensive gear to look cool too. Recycle car batteries and scrap metal to raise the money up for a down payment...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't be a pussy get the fastest most powerful motorcycle you can afford. Shoot for the stars and have your grandmother cosign a loan for it... Then drive it to the local bar park it on the sidewalk out front and rev it up until all the lights in the houses in the neighborhood go on and challenge the first person that says something to you to a race. Set your beer down before you race. You will need to buy some expensive gear to look cool too. Recycle car batteries and scrap metal to raise the money up for a down payment...
See if you can find an old turbocharged 2-stroke. It will force you to learn proper throttle control.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Supermoto is picking up in popularity as well. So only good things to come for the bikes and the sport.
I like supermoto bikes, but the major issue with using them to learn on is the bad habits.

this

vs this

Stick you leg out on a 400 pound spot bike and watch your leg snap like a twig. Also look at the body position, totally different styles. Look at he body center line compared to the bikes center line in turns. You won't be that leaned on the street, but the same rules apply.

I say get the Ninja and ride it. The skills learned on it will apply to all street motorcycles, even 800 pound Harley full dress bikes. But learning on a supermoto only apply to dirt bikes. Also, buy this book, read it and follow the exercises.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Stick you leg out on a 400 pound spot bike and watch your leg snap like a twig. Also look at the body position, totally different styles. Look at he body center line compared to the bikes center line in turns. You won't be that leaned on the street, but the same rules apply.

I think I know what you mean but can you explain your point a little better? As compared to street bikes I've always felt more comfortable on super motos, they seem less twitchy and more natural to me given years of riding mtb. I don't expect to be pushing it to the point where I'd be hangin a leg out either way. As someone else said, I figure I'll be riding like a grandma for quite some time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm sure you can get that one for cheap :D

I got my bike and my permit. I rode on a closed street with a friend for about 2 months waiting for the class to start (wait lists are a bitch) going through all the drills they did in class.

I had ridden a LOT of dirt long before I considered a street bike, so the hand/foot controls were second nature and that made a huge difference.

But get a bike that fits you. If the ninja fits, start with it. If you feel comfortable on the SV650, roll that. I don't recommend a dual sport or super moto for anyone because they suck as a commuter and they can teach you bad habits (leg out while turning comes to mind). If you want one as a second bike, then cool. I own a street bike and a dirt bike, both are purpose built.

I am looking at an R1 this weekend in preparation for the advanced class and track days in the Spring.
I've been teasing a friend about his R1. He got a smoking deal on one, pristine condition and the price was under $10k.

He is the one suggesting the D/S but I think he is just being adamant.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I had never ridden a motorcycle & was always asking myself the same questions. I wanted a street bike........but knew that I would die on one, so I went ahead and bought a DRZ400SM. 400 dirt bike, street tires.........seemed like a good mix. Plus there was nothing bad about the DRZ I could find. Stock they are sluggish a little bit, but cheap to get faster and TONS of parts for them out there.

I've had it for a few months now. Best investment I've made in a long time for something that is a toy. I got a textile jacket, my full face (arai XD3), gloves, and shoes are next. I've never ridden any other motorcycle, but this one as a starter bike so far seems to be spot on.

Good advice. Thanks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think I know what you mean but can you explain your point a little better? As compared to street bikes I've always felt more comfortable on super motos, they seem less twitchy and more natural to me given years of riding mtb. I don't expect to be pushing it to the point where I'd be hangin a leg out either way. As someone else said, I figure I'll be riding like a grandma for quite some time.
You can ride a dual sport or a supermoto on the street, but it's not a street bike, I can put Hookworms on my DH bike, but I woudn't try to race a crit with it.

Just know, a dual sport is designed to be "ok" at 2 sports. A supermoto is desinged to race half on dirt half on pavement. I own 2 bikes because one is AWESOME on the street and the other is AWESOME on the dirt.

Different power, different seating position, different handling. I just think if you are going to ride street, get a street bike. Doesn't have to be a racer, but something like an SV650 will give you more options, too. I would not have ridden a supermoto 820 miles to California, and I couldn't hang with friends on the trails we ride on a dual sport.

If all you want is cheep transpo, get a scooter that gets 75mpg. A 250cc scooter has about the same power as a 400 DS (power to weight ratio). I've ridden DS and SM bikes on the street and they are underwhelming. I rode a friends KLR on the trails and I quickly understood why we always had to wait for him.

Get what you feel is comfortable, though. If you don't like it, you won't ride it. I love my FZ, but the R1 is even better. I am changing the R1 to be more of an FZ seating position for comfort and control.

R1

+FZ1N

= RZ1N

:D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Keep in mind that OGRipper and I both live in San Francisco.

I think given the short, steep hills, oddly curving streets, and the random traffic backups from all the protests and street fairs; I would think an agile bike that is slightly underpowered would be fine for San Fran.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Keep in mind that OGRipper and I both live in San Francisco.

I think given the short, steep hills, oddly curving streets, and the random traffic backups from all the protests and street fairs; I would think an agile bike that is slightly underpowered would be fine for San Fran.
I woudn't know for sure, but I don't think a DS is more agile than a Ninja. It is a little lighter, though.

I'm a big fan of cafe style bikes for that very reason. Light, agile, easy to handle. I would love a CB cafe racer. At some point I will build one.

CB250

I woudn't know for sure, but I don't think a DS is more agile than a Ninja. It is a little lighter, though.

I'm a big fan of cafe style bikes for that very reason. Light, agile, easy to handle. I would love a CB cafe racer. At some point I will build one.

CB250
OK, that's a pretty bike, although for the street, screw the racing seat. The pictures in the post above are just more lard-assed overly complex road jewelry.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

CB250
I love those old style cafe's.

If I had a dream bike, it would be this:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
OK, that's a pretty bike, although for the street, screw the racing seat. The pictures in the post above are just more lard-assed overly complex road jewelry.
I want a Thruxton, but can't justify the price

<edit> The scrambler is nice, too. Same price as the Thruxton.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I want a Thruxton, but can't justify the price

<edit> The scrambler is nice, too. Same price as the Thruxton.
I forgot about the Thruxton. Those funny tailpipes on Scrambler look like leg burners. When I cruise down the highway in basketball shorts and a tank top, I want to be safe.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I forgot about the Thruxton. Those funny tailpipes on Scrambler look like leg burners. When I cruise down the highway in basketball shorts and a tank top, I want to be safe.
The thing about the Thruxton is it's still a 900cc bike. In stock form, it's not bad. But it will haul ass. The head mechanic at MotoCorsa built one that looks like the Honda. Flat black with red spoke wheels, then he punched out the motor to just over 1000cc and tricked the suspension. He turns some of the fastest track times on that bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Get what you feel is comfortable, though.
All good stuff sausage man, thanks. At the end of the day it comes down to comfort and confidence for me. I've ridden a few different styles and have always felt better on dirt bikes and SM's. Plus a friend has a DRZ with some of the key mods most people recommend that he'll sell me relatively cheap because he wants to see me riding a moto. I figure it's a good way to get into the moto thing. I can always switch it up down the road.

It's definitely interesting being on the noob side of the fence. I've always tried to give practical advice to noob bicycle riders. It's sometimes hard to recommend something that I see as having disadvantages, but at the end of the day the key thing is to suggest something they will actually ride.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's definitely interesting being on the noob side of the fence. I've always tried to give practical advice to noob bicycle riders. It's sometimes hard to recommend something that I see as having disadvantages, but at the end of the day the key thing is to suggest something they will actually ride.
Exactly.

When I first moved into this house, I bought a dirt bike because I am 20 minutes from some of the best OHV areas. But a year after I bought my bike, many of the guys I rode with became sand guys and I don't like the dunes (no talent required). I sold my bike and bought a street bike. The street bike I ride fits my style and also does all the things I need it to do.

A lot of what you ride will also depend on who and where you ride, also. The WR I just bought can be converted to SM with a wheel change and lights. Something I will likely do down the road. I talked all my road friends into dirt this year, so we will have some off-season fun as well.

I love to see people get into riding, bikes and motos. But if you tell a n00b to get a 50 pound DH bike, then take them on a 10 mile XC loop, they my never ride again.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
All good stuff sausage man, thanks. At the end of the day it comes down to comfort and confidence for me. I've ridden a few different styles and have always felt better on dirt bikes and SM's. Plus a friend has a DRZ with some of the key mods most people recommend that he'll sell me relatively cheap because he wants to see me riding a moto. I figure it's a good way to get into the moto thing. I can always switch it up down the road.

I feel the same way.

I've been riding bikes for 20 years and I've managed a shop but I have zero time on a motorbike.

One thing I am trying to avoid is making the same mistakes I made when I first started riding road, then mountain. Obviously I am not spry as I used to be, so I want to avoid the motorcycle equivalent of being clipped in for the first time or squeezing too much front brake on a descent!

I do know a lot of motorcycle riders, of course, and their advice has been invaluable. But I feel confident about one thing: I am part of the two wheel lifestyle. This is not some middle-aged hobby I picked up because I'm bored.

I plan on riding road and mountain as much as ever. My friends have offered to take me MXing but I am not particularly interested. But I will replace the crosstown rides, whether by car or by bike, with a motorcycle, and even some of the longer trips as well.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My bro has a Triumph Bonneville Black...it's actually pretty awesome for an all-round bike that looks cool. Probably a little large for a first bike in San Fran.

But it's built around the same base as the Scrambler, which I have to say I thought would be awesome in theory...however, the Scrambler in real life doesn't really seem all that cool as the bikes it's designed to imitate. The Bonnevilles and Thruxtons seem to pull it off pretty well, though.

thereturnBW

Chimp
Sep 24, 2008
take a look at the new kawasaki klx250 supermoto. i am riding the 'o9 klx250s dual sport and love it. i have been riding two wheeled motorized machines pretty much all my life. two gallons gets me about 130 miles. it is beginner friendly but can be heavily modified also to make it a mini monster.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
As long as you're man enough, get a Ninja 250. Super light, very agile, easy to control, a lot of fun in the power band, and *bonus points* won't get stolen in the first week of SF street parking. There's a reason everyone recommends the Ninja 250 to a beginner.

Older Nighthawk, old Suzuki GS500/650, Honda Hawk, Yamaha XS400/650, or even an old K650 or smaller would also work. You'd be less bored with the Ninja though. There's a pretty good AFM 250 production class series, too, if you ever want to do the track thing. My first bike was a 1983 GPZ550, and it was great. It blew up, and I got an XS400, and that was great too. I also rode a VX800, which was a lot of bike, but really fun and great for roadtrips.

Check out: www.ninja250.org and www.pashnit.com

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's hawt.

I ran with some hottie like that waiting to pay the toll on the Bay Bridge. She was on an old XS650.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
just dont ride without boots...ever

caution:graphic

There was a group of Harley guys in the room next to mine in Eureka and one of them had high sided on a u-turn wearing sneakers and a brain bucket. His right foot was hashed.

He said after 20 years of riding, he would never ride without boots and a full face again.

<edit> Motorcycle parking

Last edited:

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Great advice here. I'm a newb myself and chose to go the scooter route rather than a motorcycle. I'll probably upgrade to a "real" bike sometime in the near future but for now the scooter suits me fine. I've got a 2002 250cc and it's got quite a bit of power all things considered. I like the upright sitting position and the 65mpg is awesome. It's even fun to "carve" (tongue planted firmly in cheek) up the local twisty mountain... though I mostly use it to commute to work 3 days per week. Actually pulls really well up the mountain. Plus it has under-seat storage, which most bikes do not have.

MSF course, no question about it.

I do miss actually shifting, since my scooter has a CVT transmission. First day I had it, I managed to grab a fist-full of rear brake because my old clutch muscle memory from riding off-road bikes as a teen came flooding back.

My g/f's father recently gave me a basketcase 1976 Honda goldwing. 1000cc's, 4-carbs, and 800lbs! I just managed to get it running and decided I was probably going to kill myself on it so I got rid of it before I got it fully on the road.

Craigslist is a great resource. You can find a ton of mid-80's 400-500cc range bikes here for $1500 or so. Great beginner bikes and fairly inexpensive and easy to tinker on. It's always good to know how to work on your own bike. They also give you some room to grow so you won't grow bored and sell it in 6-months.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought a bike with a salvaged title because I'm cheap and if I dumped it, I wouldn't cry so much.

Chances are my next bike will also carry a branded title because insurance companies are quick on the draw and you can save an average of 30% off retail. As long as the bike is square, there's no worry.

I'm a big fan of the older import bikes, too. Check out local tow companies for possible impounds. I know the company I worked for had an old CB750 that had been there for nearly a year, just sitting in the shop. I was too stupid to buy it then.

<edit> A prime example:
http://store.copstowing.com/auto/detailview.php?id1=286964&id2=1956377&id3=YES&id4=Copstowing.com

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Funny story.

I sold my bike to a guy last night and took it to him today at lunch. It was the first dry day in 2 weeks and he was excited. I get an email not 3 hours after dropping the bike off that he got a speeding ticket.

I told that jackass that bike was fast. :D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Dual sport. Check into a plated XR/XL or DRZ. If you feel like getting really spendy, look at a KTM 530 XCRw, and you'll have something ready for everything dirt too, especially if you get a second wheelset.

In one of our favorite desert stomping grounds, there is a line right out of camp called the "squid filter". You start off on a moderate hillclimb, followed by a long whooped out ridgeline that ends in a bunch of rockstaircases (two lines, neither are easy). It's the good way to see who is packing the necessary cajones to pull through the whole ride. The squids who like to bite off more than they can chew are left struggling with the hillclimb or at the bottom of the stairsteps, and they are allowed to safely go find more appropriate riding grounds this way.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Dual sport. Check into a plated XR/XL or DRZ. If you feel like getting really spendy, look at a KTM 530 XCRw, and you'll have something ready for everything dirt too, especially if you get a second wheelset.

In one of our favorite desert stomping grounds, there is a line right out of camp called the "squid filter". You start off on a moderate hillclimb, followed by a long whooped out ridgeline that ends in a bunch of rockstaircases (two lines, neither are easy). It's the good way to see who is packing the necessary cajones to pull through the whole ride. The squids who like to bite off more than they can chew are left struggling with the hillclimb or at the bottom of the stairsteps, and they are allowed to safely go find more appropriate riding grounds this way.
Probably not a bad call. Kinda like how snowshoe builds nasty steep skinnies/drops as the intro moves for some of the fr trails.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Probably not a bad call. Kinda like how snowshoe builds nasty steep skinnies/drops as the intro moves for some of the fr trails.
Yup. When/if I build a DH trail the first thing on the trail will be some kind of "squid filter". Like something that is steep, rutted, nasty, and not even walkable (and definitely can't be walked back up).