Quantcast

best passing advice

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
have a local race tomorrow, where most of the uphill is wide-berthed fire/access road, and most of the DH is highly technical.

as a clyde, i'll anticipate getting passed on the ascents, but going down i can really let loose. only problem is, 90%+ of the DH is on tight ST. i'm highly familiar w/ the course, so local's advantage comes into play.

how can i pass, or ask to pass, w/o being a dick?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
but there is no "right" on which to pass on most of teh dh.
are you suggesting the heisman?

while riding it wed, there are no less than 3 huckable a-lines, and the b-lines take 5 extra seconds easy. if it's any indication, the few others i saw on the course will cause some localized jamming, and are far less interested in cleaning at speed.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
chances are on race day, those areas will be a cluster-f*ck...

You probably will get caught up in the pack if you arent out front.

Good luck racing tho!

:thumb:

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
your best bet is to say on your right, and pass on that side, but they dont have to move over since they are in front. Most people will though, at least in my experience. When they move over be ready to pass, and do it quickly.

if they wont move over, depending how much vegetation/rocks are on the side of the trail, ride through that, just watch out for your derailleurs.

remember to have fun, and good luck.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, wtf is the reasoning behind passing on the right when in the rest of life you pass on left? my only racing w/ a pack is road (crits & such) where you pass on the outside (left on straights)

oh, wait, velo passes on right.

so confused...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i have a new outlook on passing: it should be used sparingly.

went out too fast on the first lap, got 10 min off course w/ a handful of others (fixed by race marshalls *after* our race).

what's obvious to me now is i'm a clydesdale - not a climbsdale - so while passing skills are important, they're a distant 2nd to getting my fat ass up the course in something resembling a race pace. that way, i don't have to worry about passing the throngs of jrs & women who pwnd me on the way up.

as for the finish: i just survived the last lap, which was somehow good enough for 3rd (out of 5 - pfft!). the guy who won was 14 min ahead of #2, and according to his splits was going at lap 1 pace for all 4.

got 2 weeks to get my ass in less worse shape for the next race.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Passing is an art. Racing Pro is tough because nobody wants to give up a space and generally it is up to you to pass, not them to move over.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Passing is an art. Racing Pro is tough because nobody wants to give up a space and generally it is up to you to pass, not them to move over.
When you find those situations when you can't get around a slower rider I enjoy talking trash. I like to ask "what kind of brakes are those? they do a really good job of slowing you down in those corners"

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
When you find those situations when you can't get around a slower rider I enjoy talking trash. I like to ask "what kind of brakes are those? they do a really good job of slowing you down in those corners"
Yah, I've heckled MANY expert guys on their choice of lines until they've let me pass.:thumb:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Generally I will tell someone I want to pass and ask them to tell me when and which side because they can see what's coming and the following rider might not. If they seem not to want me to pass them, then I will take a pass when I see an opportunity and I may bump them if they get in the way. The rules in XC do require the slower rider to move over when it is safe. At certain point though if that person refuses to give way, it's OK to get a little greasy and as long as you're not endangering anyone, pass them anyway and force them to allow it. That said, I have blocked the way of riders trying to pass me when there is a long line of riders and there is nowhere to pass or they are trying to force a pass in a bad place. I love the guys yelling EXPERT EXPERT at the back of the Masters pack. If you buddy are an expert, what are you doing riding with guys the age of your dad?