Quantcast

Best pizza in at least 2 years...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Finally got a halfway decent pizza out here... just had to make it myself. Wasn't perfect, but almost there.

Lit the Weber grill, with about 2x as much charcoal as usual
Once the coals were ready, put the pizza stone directly on the grill (let heat up for about 15min)
Hand-tossed pizza dough, thin crust
Normal pizza sauce + fresh mozzarella
Large thinly sliced pepperoni

Still working on getting the heat evened out, and working on exactly how long it's going to take (opening the grill lets some of the heat out, and it needs to be HOT), but was easily the best pizza I've had outside of NY. Still needs some work, though, so we're going to suffer through another attempt sometime this week... :drool:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
the stone is only about 1/2" thick, so definitely heated up to temperature in those 15min. the issue that I had was that the top of the pizza didn't quite cook as fast as the bottom. the bottom of the crust was slightly overcooked to allow for the top to be correct. next experiment is going to be trying to judge the initial time so that there's less time opening the grill to test.

the LBE looks pretty cool, and definitely helps out with the uniformness and ease of the heating. the charcoal adds a nice bit of smoky flavor, but I might have to try that someday.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I posted the LBE link so maybe you could get some ideas for your setup. They use propane, but if you ignore that and look at what other mods they have done (that thread is HUGE, so lots of pics and cool ideas). Many have lined the lid with stones and most of them cut a slot in the lid so they don't have to open it and have the heat loss you experienced.

I have cooked pizza on a bbq but I didn't use the stone, I cooked directly on the grate. I have done it two ways, one was to cook one side of the dough, flip it and then put the toppings on the cooked side while the other side cooks the rest of the way on the grill.
the other way I did it was to make the dough very thin so it didn't need to be par cooked. For both ways I put the lid down during cooking and had great results. It's not the same as cooking on a stone though..

Hmmm, I might have to make some dough today.:)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
The stone is key... might try to figure out how to get some type of forced air into the bottom to get the coals even hotter.

It's amazing how BAD people are out here at trying to make a NY style thin crust pizza. After about 6 months of trying different (thin crust) pizza, we just gave up and started eating midwestern style. Still tastes yummy, fills you up, ensures you won't die of starvation, etc. It's just not pizza.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
do you know how hot the stone is getting now?

and are you making the dough and if so, how are you making it/ingrediants, etc?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
do you know how hot the stone is getting now?

and are you making the dough and if so, how are you making it/ingrediants, etc?
buying the dough, making it leaves too much chance of the wife adding something healthy like whole wheat flour...

no clue on how hot the stone is getting now. judging by cooking time I'd say 500-550?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so after seeing this thread yesterday I got inspired...

thyme garlic dough/crust with a touch of basil
little bit o' sauce
red onion
red pepper
green pepper
banana pepper
baby bella mushrooms
diced tomatoes
chopped garlic
fresh grated mozz