Quantcast

Best Post-Apocalyptic Movie and Song/Video Thread

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Possibly the most depressing movie ive ever seen...
Would make a great/horrible double bill with Never Let Me Go.

Movies off the top of my head:
The Quiet Earth is an underseen low budget New Zealand film. Just don't look at the poster as it spoils the ending.

Twelve Monkeys, obviously. Children of Men too.

Stalker
might be stretching the definition a bit, but it's great. Then there's the whole post nuclear war subgenre, with The Day After and Threads being the most famous exponents.

I am Legend fits the bill, but it's crap and I'd even prefer the trashy 60s version of that story, which is The Last Man on Earth.

Escape from New York is more of a breakdown of society movie, but I'll take any opportunity to bring it up.

Other than that, plenty of Zombie movies have that same vibe, as do some of the Planet of the Apes films. Technically, The Matrix is post-apocalyptic, but it feels more Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk.

Akira and Wall-E are post apocalyptic, but animated.

We should really extend this to video games though, with the Fallout series and Stalker being some of the most popular ones.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
on the beach
Yessss........

He wrote another book I'm partial to called "Round the Bend". Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance meets aviation.

Possibly the most depressing movie ive ever seen...

If you think the movie is bad, definitely don't read the book. Or any McCarthy book for that matter.

Twelve Monkeys, obviously. Children of Men too.
I LOVE Twelve Monkeys, Children of Men was fantastic.

"Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" was pretty good.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is children of men the one where no one can get pregnant with Clive Owen?

Edit: yerp, good film.

Minus the whole blind man seeing everything Bible reference stuff. Fucking great movie.
Yep, I'm pretty anti religion, but I can just cope with watching that one.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

We do these things, let them be done
Apathy creates despair
The damage done will be too great
The world wounded beyond repair

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
posted this in the what are you reading thread but Wanderers by Chuck Wendig is a pretty damn eerie mirror to what's happening outside your door.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Great book.

If your talking about the "Made for TV" movie version, it was surprisingly good by those standards at that time, but not "great".
What made it even cooler was moving here and actually knowing the places It was referencing. Like when they walk through the tunnel - that's a fucking long way to go in total darkness. Or going over 70 in the middle of winter after a whole winter of not being avalanche controlled :panic: . The guy from Chicago would have probably had a big impact on @Nick as well, because he obviously knows it. Same with that little town in Kansas in the story; I drove through it at some point - now I have a picture of it in my head.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The music for when we wear the skins of our old ones, and there is virus and only the virus.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

We do these things, let them be done
Apathy creates despair
The damage done will be too great
The world wounded beyond repair
Wow, that's really bad. Then again, one wouldn't expect the post-apocalypse world to be "good"...