Quantcast

Best rear air fork/shock?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, all, asked over in DH, but this is probably more up your alley...looking to air-shockify (and air-forkify) my Turner RFX to make it more of a trailbike.

I'm 165 lbs, ride very abusively. Care more about reliability than gimmicky SPV/propedal stuff, but don't mind having it if it won't break on me. Lockout uneccessary, but I really like adjustable ride height on forks.

For the rear, I need a 7.5x2, and I'm looking at the Fox RP3, Manitou 4-way, or an older Fox used shock revalved by Push. Any thoughts? Any other options I should consider (5th element air)?

For the front, I have a 2005 TALAS, but am considering a 2003 Z1 SL air bought new for $300 or a 2005 Marzo All-Mtn SL. Want something lightish (4.5 lbs or less) and tough, either QR or 20mm. Definitely want air instead of coil. Any thoughts on how a TALAS holds up to abuse (occasional bigger drops of 5' or 6' along the trail, rough hard riding)? I've liked it as a pure XC fork so far for sure. Might consider a Nixon, too, but I've had bad luck with SPV forks, and really would prefer a Fox or Marzo after years of riding Manitou.

Thanks for the input...

MD

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you're not that much into adjustments and such, you could go for an RP3, where you can turn off the pedaling platform. They are very no-nonsense, light, durable shocks if you want them to be. I like the ride of the RP3 better than the Swinger.

For the fork, out of those I'd have to pick the Fox. It's the lightest out of all three, solid performer, and the 05 TALAS models are supposed to be smoother than whipped crisco. Depending on your weight, it shouldn't be too flexy, but I'm not sure how well it would perform on drops of that size. I've seen guys take 6 foot drops with Floats, but they just aren't the best forks built for that, and I really don't think any of the forks you're suggesting are, except possibly the Z1. If it was just a once-in-awhile type think I think it would be fine, but if those are a regular occurance, I might consider suggesting a Rockshox Pike with U-Turn.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
if you need a pushable vanilla rc, ive got one in your size. concidering what the others cost, a custom built shock to your exact specs, usually for as much or less $ than the others, a pushed rc doesnt get much better.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Buy my air Bomber you scoundrel, either that or buy a Fox 36 or stick with your talas. If you don't trust your talas i'll trade you straight up for my Zokes, it might be a tad heavier that 4.5 lbs though i'm not really sure.

MikeW who you met at Green Mt. never had any luck with SPV either. i never seemed to break mine when i had that VT. i've had real good luck and have been happy with the performance of my Float in the last year or so. it's finally developed a super slow leak(gotta check the pressure about every month or so), but that's better than when i had a SID, leaked after the first ride.
But i don't take the air shocks too far off the ground, but being how heavy i am i wonder if my 3 foot booter would be equivalant to your 6 footer. :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Being the same weight and owning both a Z1 SL and a Talas I have to recommend the Talas. Like Blue said the Talas is liked whipped butter, quality travel. The only problem is the travel adjust is a not friendly to adjustment on the fly. The Z1 just feels too much like an air fork. The first few inches are nice and plush but then things ramp up too fast. Even with the negative air chamber at the maximum it likes to top out harshly unless the rebound damping is set to very slugish.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, quality info, guys. I came to my senses last night and decided I'd try the TALAS anyhow...it'd be incredibly stupid not to. Especially given the adjustability on the TALAS. Don't need it on the fly; I reset the height on a welcome rest after a long climb and don't touch it on the short ones. And I don't want to buy an older-gen Marzo air fork anyhow, especially with ECC, which never once actually worked for me. (Always slowly crept back).

Totally agree on the smoothness of the travel. It's amazing how frictionless the initial stroke is.

Leaning towards the RP3 with the AVA sleeve rear shock, but I can probably find a 4-way air cheap, too. We'll see what I can rustle up when I get home.

MD

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have had nothing but great experience with my 5th air. Well you know I ride a all mountian SL and so far not a single problem. I have been riding it quite agressively lately as well...I think the 32mm lowers help as well as the huge crown...and it's still pretty light...D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BMXman said:
I have had nothing but great experience with my 5th air. Well you know I ride a all mountian SL and so far not a single problem. I have been riding it quite agressively lately as well...I think the 32mm lowers help as well as the huge crown...and it's still pretty light...D
Yeah, that's why I was looking at the SL. But since I already have an air fork with 32mm lowers that I really like, I figured I'd give it a shot...it's a lot more adjustable than the SL, even. Only thing that gives me slight pause is how it'd do on, say, a ride down Anderson at some speed. Guess I'll have to give it a try. Just sort of annoying that there's way to adjust for increased progression on the fork, unlike the marzos.

Then again, ahem, if I could find a way to get a good deal on an SL, I'd be very interested, lol. Actually, though, can you tell me about the travel adjustment on the SL? Seems there are 110-130mm versions and 130-150mm versions, with the 20mm of adjustment coming from a change in air pressure on the negative chamber. If that's the case, that's not very adjustable on the trail, which is kind of a bummer considering what I'm trying to do. (Which is essentially XC-ify my Turner. Not a great idea, I know, and I've warned people against doing stupid stuff like this, but I don't think I can or should afford that new Cannondale...and I just like this bike a heck of a lot. Already have XC wheels and the air fork, too. Just need a rear shock and a few new components, maybe Tym's 5" rocker plates.)

You seem to be the only person who hasn't had problems with the 5th element air, too. How about this...at the Spring Swap Meet, if you're going, keep your eyes out for a 7.5x2 air shock for me. Even a clapped-out old Fox which I could send to Push...

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BMXman said:
ok no prob....I need to find out when that is as well...D
10 April, just looked it up.

Weather here is sucking. No one wants to ride. May have to go myself and just get wet instead of sitting on this computer.

Anyone in San Diego selling the Prophets? I'm really stuck between overhauling this bike and just getting a Prophet 4x or something. Gotta pare down the stable, possibly to one bike in the end. Times gonna be tight and space short in the future, I think.

MD

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have been *really* happy with the performance, servicability, and customer service of my Cane Creek AD-10. Their AD-12 & Cloud9 are the current air models.

Just went to their website and they are apparently offering coil-over rear shocks now........

-S.S.-

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7141508589

so far it's all I have been able to find...but I'll keep my eye out...D

MikeD said:
10 April, just looked it up.

Weather here is sucking. No one wants to ride. May have to go myself and just get wet instead of sitting on this computer.

Anyone in San Diego selling the Prophets? I'm really stuck between overhauling this bike and just getting a Prophet 4x or something. Gotta pare down the stable, possibly to one bike in the end. Times gonna be tight and space short in the future, I think.

MD

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
One reason I keep going back to Cane Creek air shocks is reliability and tunability. They're simple and they've been bulletproof. I've had them on two Fisher Joshuas, a Marin Mt. Vision, an NRS, my Iron Horse Hollowpoint, and soon on my Iron Horse MkIII.

I personally like the AD-12 over the Cloud Nine, due to its adjustable air chamber volume, which lets me shape the spring curve to match the bike (more linear vs. more progressive). The C9 has a wider range of compression and rebound damping, and can be dialed in without tools, and has a pushbutton compression adjustment that doesn't lock the shock out, but stiffens it up really good.

The big attraction for me is that I can tear one appart at home, and within about 30 minutes have it rebuilt with a $12 seal kit. This is super easy service, and the only "failure" I had is after I sliced a seal during reassembly which failed during a ride, causing me to lose all compression damping.

I could rebuild one of these things on the trail if I had to (but I'm not anal enough to carry a seal kit with me).

Cane Creek's service has always gotten me parts pretty quick for all their stuff, so that's also a plus.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
Anyone in San Diego selling the Prophets? I'm really stuck between overhauling this bike and just getting a Prophet 4x or something.
y'know it's pretty high on the price bracket, but this is honestly the best all in one bike out there, but again right now it's too overpriced, but i wonder what they'll close out for....
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9690&JServSessionIdroot=xeldpdql2n.j27005

SkaredShtles said:
I have been *really* happy with the performance, servicability, and customer service of my Cane Creek..........
i gotta agree with the Cane Creek lovers here. They were the pioneers that really made air suspension viable, as others like myself were frustrated with RockShox air. i owned a Cloud9 for a spell and it was a great shock. If browsing for air shocks you gotta give em a look-see.