Quantcast

Best REM album....

J

JRB

I don't care if you don't like REM. If you don't, don't post.

I think "Life's Rich Pageant" is my favorite. I also dug some of "Green" a ton, and hated some of it. Of course "Fables" and "Murmur" were good too, but I still like the other one best.

Just curious.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Fables Of The Reconstruction - Driver 8, Maps And Legends, Can't get there from here. Some great songs.

J

JRB

TN said:
I like the one where Michael Stipe whines a lot.
I must too. I think 'World Leader Pretend' is one of the best songs ever.

DRB - cut me some slack. At least it wasn't Duran Duran.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
lifes rich pageant
fables of the reconstruction
murmur

"sitting still" I like live.

Some of the bootlegs I have they do a great version of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain".

They are great live when the are playing anything before "Green".

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have a copy of Stipe singing with Natalie Merchant doing "The Counting Song" live. I also have a bad copy of REM live, doing Don't Fear The Reaper. Fun stuff!

Oh, DAYSLEEPER is an awsome song!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I like Dead Letter and Green the best. Document's good too and I really like some of Automatic for the People. I think after that (Monster and on) things started to go awry and their last effort was downright awful IMO.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Ciaran said:
I have a copy of Stipe singing with Natalie Merchant doing "The Counting Song" live. I also have a bad copy of REM live, doing Don't Fear The Reaper. Fun stuff!

Oh, DAYSLEEPER is an awsome song!

They also did a song called picture or photograph or something together (I don't know the exact name). Stipe and Merchant have amazing voices.

Daysleeper is a favorite, as is Don't Go Back to Rockville and Night Swimming.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
What was the guy that left's name??? Was it Mike Mills??? I don't recall. Whatever it was, I think he was holding things together.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bluebug32 said:
They also did a song called picture or photograph or something together (I don't know the exact name). Stipe and Merchant have amazing voices.

Daysleeper is a favorite, as is Don't Go Back to Rockville and Night Swimming.
There's a 10.000 maniacs video out there that has Stipe Merchant and Billy Bragg on gitar doing Hello In There. Awsome.

There's just so many good REM songs!

It was Bill Berry that left. 1997

J

JRB

I just read that it was a brain aneurysm, but they say it had nothing to do with him leaving. :think: I heard him say that is why he left in a TV interview.

J

JRB

bluebug32 said:
I don't recall that he had/has an illness (but this was a long time ago). I know he had a brain anurism (sp?) on stage and had to have emergency surgery.
Yeah - that's what it was. I would call that a pretty big deal, while not necessarily a lasting illness.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Yes - I thought it was earlier. I don't remember what illness he has.
Had a brain aneurysm onstage in Switzerland. He said that it had nothing to do with his leaving the band though.

Edit: Got beat to the punch on that one.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Yeah - that's what it was. I would call that a pretty big deal, while not necessarily a lasting illness.
Yeah well, he looks like Tom Hanks at the end of Philadelphia. Could be a clue.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
Yeah well, he looks like Tom Hanks at the end of Philadelphia. Could be a clue.
You have seen that pic that Kizzi posted, right??? You're not exactly settin' the woods on fire there, Romeo. :nope:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
You have seen that pic that Kizzi posted, right??? You're not exactly settin' the woods on fire there, Romeo. :nope:
So loco doesnt think Im sexy. I guess it says something that you have an opinion on how guys look, huh?

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
So loco doesnt think Im sexy. I guess it says something that you have an opinion on how guys look, huh?
You look a little girly, so I felt obligated to judge.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
You look a little girly, so I felt obligated to judge.
So you look at guys and "judge" huh? Wow. You're probably one of those dudes at the trailhead who sits there just so he can watch the riders in spandex. Friggin meat gazer.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
So you look at guys and "judge" huh? Wow. You're probably one of those dudes at the trailhead who sits there just so he can watch the riders in spandex. Friggin meat gazer.
And you're likely the common trash that chose to paint holmes' truck, but started a thread so you didn't look guilty. I knew you were lying when you said you were riding with friends. :D

J

JRB

Oh yeah - way to ruin another thread, BS. You should go hunt with Cheney.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
can't believe no one's said _Reckoning_. Pavement had it right (cf. "The unseen power of the picket fence").

although all the records up to _Green_ are pretty damn strong. i stopped buying them after that.

some of their xmas singles are pretty good too; anyone ever hear their version of "I Will Survive"? pretty great, and i think it pre-dates Cake's take.

J

JRB

narlus said:
<snip> anyone ever hear their version of "I Will Survive"? pretty great, and i think it pre-dates Cake's take.
Yes - but I never owned it. I used to hear it on a college station. Way before Cake. Late 80s if I recall. Reckoning was good, but it wasn't my favorite.