Quantcast

Best repair stand for dh bikes?

Philliam

Chimp
Jan 16, 2012
Needs to be freestanding. Not worried so much about portability, rather stability and quality - without breaking the bank. Did a search, but found no recent info. Thanks for any reco.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Build your own with one of their wall mounts? Its really about the size ofthe legs. I have had my fair share of the stands tip over with a dh bike

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
A shop quality Park stand is a little excessive unless you're using it every day...and good luck taking it to a race.

I'd recommend any of the Feedback stands with three legs...http://feedbacksports.com/shop/Premium-Work-Stands-C1.aspx But they are not cheap.

I have this guy...http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1030266&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand Null Null&CAWELAID=1009382054&catargetid=1630495914&cagpspn=pla

The clamp takes some time to secure (twist style) but the tripod is huge and it is cheap. I've had mine for 3 or so years.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had an ultimate-pro (now feedback) for years, it's great, easy to break down and take places, etc. The only thing I wished for was a better adjuster for the clamp, but newer models are much better in this respect.

When ultimate first came out, the only equivalent products were the crazy "L" shaped park home-stand and it was crap compared to the ultimate's tripod. Now all three (pedros, feedback, park) make good stands. The ultimate never had a problem with bike bikes that weighed up to 50lbs.

On the other hand, if you want to do a home-repair station right, buy a park head and mount it to something. Forget the stand and base, find a better place or way to mount the head that is more convenient or economical. The head is really the important part there, and those make servicing a sinch.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Got a parktool PCS-9 two years ago off eBay for $90 brand new. Supports my downhill bike perfectly while I'm wrenching on it. Great stand. Nice, light and simple to use. It's two leg base easily supports the bike. I have had no problems. You can get the PCS-10 for a bit more. Unlike the PCS-9 the 10 has quick release clamps instead of Allen key and screws to tighten and loosen

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Shimano Pro stand has been good to me so far. Sturdy, and folds into it's own bag for transport. The clamping can be a bit cumbersome, but it's a nicer design than most.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've had this stand for almost 10 years now. It's not super fancy or easily portable but for a home stand, and especially heavy DH bikes it's awesome. The long solid legs make it great to hold heavy bikes. I think I paid 80-90 bucks for it 10 years ago.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I've had an ultimate-pro (now feedback) for years, it's great, easy to break down and take places, etc.
+1 to this. I got my son one years back and now I finally have the Feedback equivalent of my own and have been very pleased.

Now if you really don't want to spend much money, a Pony clamp with Trex jaws actually makes a solid stand. The example below was not freestanding, as I had it screwed to a basement post; but you can imagine a 3/4x1" street el, 1x1½" coupler, a length of 1½" down to a floor flange. Then the floor flange is bolted to a big-ass piece of 1/2" plate.

A tip: if there is a lot of manufacturing in your area, you can go to the crap yard and find large (4-5' square) pieces of 1/2" plate that are swiss-cheesed with cutouts from flame-cutting parts out of. Large footprint and still heavy without being too heavy to throw in your truck.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got a park prs-15. Probably more than you would want to spend, but it can handle a dh bike no problem. Folds up pretty nicely for storage and transport too.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
well I dont . . . tripod are usually NOT very stable with heavy bike and having 3 legs can often be very annoying when moving around the bike...takes a lot more space

Get a Park tool or a Pedros...end of the story
I feel the same way. My roommate in college had the feedback and it was great for road bikes but I couldn't imagine using one exclusively for DH bikes. I've seen at least 15 DH bikes fall over while in Feedback stands.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Spin doctor pro g3. I use it almost every day for DH bikes exclusively. No problem whatsoever. Portable as well. Got mine at performance bike on sale last year. It's on sale right now as well. Normally 200, on sale for 130.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1030266_-1___400005
Ive broken two clamps on this stand. Happens when you work on the bike in an unnatural position like pulling the back wheel up so the bike is vertical. Lucky Performance has a "100% Satisfaction Guarantee..." I've had the stand replaced two times over the last 5 years.
If I were to spend money on a new stand it'd be the Feedback Pro Elite or a Park.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I've got a park prs-15. Probably more than you would want to spend, but it can handle a dh bike no problem. Folds up pretty nicely for storage and transport too.
Def a winner - I may go back to Park someday; I have a FeedBack Ultimate Pro Titanium 11.0 and it's awesome, but you need to be wary of bike position depending on what you're doing. The park bases sort of preload the weight, and may wobble, but I never flipped my PRS-5 at all, and my FB is a tip monster.

Mind you, XL bikes and 40+ lbs.

MTBXRacing

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Hyde Park, NY
Look at the Sette model offered thru Pricepoint it's just a sturdy as a Park and 1/3 the price, I have one and have used it for my Haro 357, it's sturdy. I also have the Feedback Pro model and like that one also.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Tripod of the Feedback is plenty stable as long as you remember to face the 'fork' of the Y toward you with the third leg pointing straight away from you. If you've ever milked a cow you know this.

Last edited: