Quantcast

Best repair stand?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys, just wondering, what is the best repair stand you can get for under $200? It has to be able to rotate bicycles enough to bleed brakes etc... Weather it be wrench force, park, ultimate etc.. I am just wondering what others use and if they like the stands they have?

Chris

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
Utlimates have always been my favorite. The tripod design of the legs is nice for use at the races as the ground is not always perfectly flat. They fold up fairly compactly for travel as well.:)

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
The PRS-5 is my fave, if you can find one for $200 grab it, that is close to wholesale. PCS-4 is similar but should be $30-40 less and PCS-1 should be well under $200 but does not really fold up, just folds flat so you could stick it in a closet.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
The PRS-5 is my fave, if you can find one for $200 grab it, that is close to wholesale. PCS-4 is similar but should be $30-40 less and PCS-1 should be well under $200 but does not really fold up, just folds flat so you could stick it in a closet.
When my LBS ordered it they were $160.00 wholesale - I waited until they had a large enough order to get free shipping. I think I paid $210.00 plus tax.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
Boy howdy, thats a slim margin, you must know the secret handshake :D
I'm loyal, always pay cash and have spent many $$$$ with them over the years. I'm also up front and let them know I'm looking for a deal - I'm never rude about it though. :)

Their regular mark-up is 50% - if the stand was on the floor it would have been about $240.00. They can work on a lower margin for a guaranteed sale that does not have to be floored.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
This has nothing to do with my poll or questions on stands....

BUT...it does on the deals.

We have 2-4 local shops, some better with just good old bikes, some better with full suspension bikes. I have ALWAYS known online there are good deals to be had, and sometimes things can be cheaper.

But.....all by talking with some of the employees at a local shop, saying I was refered (which I was) I was given a small discount right on the top. Now....these items I bought would have costed me more online.....so I got them local for cheap. Plus I am supporting a local bussiness. I have NO problems saying "how much cash" and seeing what I get.

Everyone, everywhere has to make money somehow. I think there are exceptions to this (IE. Hayes 4oz brake fluid, or Marzocchi fork oil in it's tiny can) for like $10-15 is nuts considering you can get a whole quart or bottle for a fraction. BUT they do sell them, and probably get money from it.

I always look at local businesses, especially ones with the new gizmo's and gadgets worth supporting. But it is cool to know that you can spend your $$$ in town, get a great deal, and be happy with your sales.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
So true, if you are reasonable in your discount request and frequent the shop regularly, you will get a discount and quicker service. For my regulars I will stay late or take stuff home. No extra $$ for me but I want to keep my regulars happy. Since I mostly handle service my discounting tends to be on that, knocking out a set of cups or installing a BB on the spot.
The little bottles of fluid are annoying, but they cost us alot so we need to get that return on them. If the fluid is compatible with something moto or auto I tell my customers. Of course brake fluid is hydrophilic so if you buy an auto size bottle it will go bad before you ever use all of it on a bike.( the water will corrode the alloy parts in the system)
My only request for mailorderers is if you plan on mail ordering, say, a pair of shoes, please don't use twenty minutes of my time to get your fit right. Be fair. One of the reasons mail order is cheaper is that guy on the phone spends two minutes taking your order and if you don't like the fit you have to return them and try again.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
So....if on ebay there's PCS-4's going for $179, no tax, free shipping that is a good deal for a bike stand? I thought about getting the PCS-1, but the other one looks much better.

Also at our local shop they have ultimate stands out on their floor, both the black and red one. The black one didn't rotate the bike very well, but the red one did. I didn't like it's tightening deal to hold the bike upright. DOES the park stands hold the bikes easy upright? Do they have a tendency to fall over (bad balancing)? Please let me know,

Chris

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
The Ultimate is the bomb for stands... and the price reflects it.

most people i've known with the "home" stands (even park's) are disappointed with them.

If you need the stand, but don't have the money, I'd go with a wall mount stand. (or bench mount)

It's not as convenient as a floor stand, but it's as stable as you can get for the price.

Here's one Ultimate that will probably fit the bill, however...
Ultimate repair stand

I havent tried that particular model, but I've never heard any complaints about any ultimates.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I have an ultimate pro and a pcs-1. You can often find the ultimate pro on sale, mine was $140 with a 20% off coupon at performance, which put it at the same price as the pcs-1. It's a great stand, and the clamp is the best out there imo. You can adjust the clamping force to exactly what you need, and it has no problem holding a bike upside down when raised to maximum height.

If you only want a stand for home use, and you will never take it anywhere, you might consider something with a heavy base, however. All folding stands give up some stiffness for their folding ability. But the ultimate pro is much more stable than the pcs-1, and their is absolutely no comparison between the clamps. It's the best folding stand available.

Park does have a fancy adjustable clamp available seperately, which can fit many stands, but it costs as much as a stand. Same with ultimate.

Read the reviews at mtbr.com before you choose.

The Park shop stand, with the flat, bolt-down base is outstanding, and quite heavy. The cool one, has a dual head off one post.

However, the Ultimate stand is also really good. I have a "generation 1" Ultimate (before they came in colors) that has been used regularly for 7 or 8 years in my shed, my garage, the pits at Snow Summit, the dirt outside my Big Bear cabin, the parking lot of a condo in Mammoth, the living room of a condo in Brian Head and in the back of my truck. It's a great stand, and a few features stand out:
--the tripod legs make it stable and secure on varied terrain.
--it is light and compacts down to be very easily transported (going riding for a weekend, bring it along to tune bikes with ease)
--the head mechanism and "clutch" work well and hold up nicely.

The head is not as "fast" as a Park, in-shop clamp. Neither is it going to crush a thinwall tube when someone gets careless or "Oopses" it.

ATN

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Burke Mountain. BC
I got 2 hooks, and 2 ropes. Rope was $1.49, hooks were already in garage. Hooks go in ceiling, ropes go over hooks and around frame tubes, and $200 goes into pocket.

It isn't the most stable or portable, but it gets the job done.

My bike is about 35 pounds, this takes it with ease.

ATN

G0nz0

Chimp
Apr 25, 2003
Boulder, CO
I have built a couple bikes using the PRS-2OS and the PRS-3OS, they are the best stands, that's why bike shops use them, however, not anywhere close to $200.

Before I decided to invest my own money in a stand, I borrowed a friends PCS-1 to build my roadbike. It's not really that stable but it got the job done.

So when I decided to buy a work stand, I decided to stick with a rule that I made for myself a couple years back, "I will only buy Park tools when it comes to specific bike tools" (see story at the bottom as to why I will only own Park Bike Tools) Anyway, I looked at the PRS-4: yes it's more stable than the PRS-1, but I didn't think it was more stable than the Ultimate Pro Repair Stand. But I have my "Park Rule" so I looked at the PRS-5. I think it's as stable as the Ultimate Pro, and I think it's clamp will last longer, but it runs about $70 more.

Well I broke my "Park Tool Rule" (justification was: a work stand isn't really a tool) and I bought a couple other tools with the money I saved.

Like EBasil, I have had my stand all over, I purchased the $15 carrying bag for it. I have had, many bikes in it, the heaviest being a 40 lbs DH bike, although the 2 bikes that are in it regularly are much lighter than that.

All that being said: If you want a stand to take out to Moab and work with in your garage get the Ultimate Pro, if you just want a stand for your house, save your money and get a PRS-3. The only thing I would add is, that the PRS-4 was redesigned for 2003 and I haven't looked at it.

Hope all of this helps! Park story below.

Why Park only? Back in the day, I went into a particular bike shop chain (I won't mention which one) to purchase the Park PW-3 Pedal wrench. The sales person in the store told me they were out of that wrench (Park didn't make the PW-4 yet) but they had a wrench that was their own store brand (for less money) and would I like it instead. Well, like a naive little jackass, who couldn't wait to put on and take off pedals, I said yes. Everything was fine for the first couple weeks of using the tool, however, I fail to notice to ware to tool was showing. Well one day, not even a month into owning this store brand tool, I was routinely taking off the right pedal on my bike, when, much to my displeasure, the inner sidewalls of the wrench stripped out. I had been putting quite a bit of torque on the wrench at the time. But do not fear! My big chain ring was happy to stop my white knuckle fist, which was wrapped around the handle of the wrench, from rotating too far. I am sure everyone here has been crank bit in the lower calf at least a couple time, you can imagine the nice 5 purple, black and red holes I had in the top of my knuckles. Needless to say, that wrench, went flying out of my parents garage, onto the driveway, skidded across the street, up my friends driveway, and under my friends parent's car, parked in their garage...and I have never purchased a "bike tool" that wasn't Park since.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I own a wrench force. Am I the only one? :)
I like it and I can do what-ever I want with the bike. The biggest problem is it's kind of a stay at home stand. It does fold up flat but it's kind heavy. I do bring it with me when I need it but it doesn't stay in my car all the time. I got it for like 150 from my LBS and it was worth every penny.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Park tools are pretty good(and the Pedros ones seem ok to) but after years of MAC and Snapon the quality of bike tools in general seems kind of shabby. of course the puchase price of a set of Snapon flankdrive wrenches will outfit a bike shop. Surprising to hear someone moan about a two hundred dollar tool, a bike stand, that will make their bike repair life so much easier. Spend enough on tools that you actually get to take a deduction on your taxes, that is something to cry about. I spent $5300 last year so I can do my job and my uncle is giving me a $200 return. Whoopee.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'd avoid the Park Consumer stand (PCS) and go for the Park Repair stand (PRS). The PCS head stinks as there are only macro adjustments for the clamp whereas the PRS has a threaded and infinitely adjustable clamp. I only tried one Ultimate stand at a friends house. Its not bad but I prefer the Park. I find it easier to operate the clamp. See if you can actually try one at the shop. Put a bike in it to see how easy it is to clamp a bike with one hand while holding the bike in your other.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I have the Park consumer stand and I wish I would have spent my money more wisely. Works ok, but it is not stable at all. No height adjustment either.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
If you don't plan on taking it anywhere I would get a park with the base that bolts down. They are really nice but if you want to take it to races or weekend getaways or if you don't have alot of room and need to put it away after you use it, I would get an Ultimate. I am pretty happy with mine. It folds up and is pretty sturdy. No adjustments needed to put bikes with different diameter seatposts in it. And it doesn't cost too much.

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
Christmas is in sight; I was wondering what I could ask to my rich girlfriend :thumb: :nope:

Because I haven't got a lot of space in my room, I won't be asking the famous Ultimate Pro 3 stand, but does anyone know whether the PRS-5 stand holds a 51lbs DH-bike in the air? I read that it's more like a Racebike stand, but a very strong one then?

cheers

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
My Ultimate Pro holds my 50 lbs DH bike. Sometimes it leans, sometimes it needs to be adjusted. But it usually holds very well. I wouldn't want any other stand.

-B

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Edvard said:
Christmas is in sight; I was wondering what I could ask to my rich girlfriend :thumb: :nope:

Because I haven't got a lot of space in my room, I won't be asking the famous Ultimate Pro 3 stand, but does anyone know whether the PRS-5 stand holds a 51lbs DH-bike in the air? I read that it's more like a Racebike stand, but a very strong one then?

cheers
Read above - the answer is still yes. :thumb: I don't know what a "race bike stand" is but I guarantee you that a Park PRS5 will hold a 50LB bike in the air with ease.

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
Serial Midget said:
I don't know what a "race bike stand" is
Sorry- that should be "Road bike"..

Btw: I e-mailed Park Tool and they said the PRS-15 should do a better job, but here in Europe their prices are very high, so afterall I'll just try to get my hands on an Ultimate Pro.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I got one of the spin docotor/performance house brand stands on closeout at a location that was moving. If I hadn't gotten a good deal I'd feel ripped off, it does keep the rear wheel off the ground but not the front, the clamp is adjustable but it opens and closes in a way that I can only get it to clamp on my seat post, which would be fine by me, but the base isn't big enough to keep the stand from tipping with the clamp so far toward the rear of the bike. I have mech brakes so I don't need to bleed so I don't really have a need to hold the bike upside down, like I said for the price I paid I feel like it does a fair job, but not spectacular. It does fold up nice and small though.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
alright I'm bringing this back from the dead.

Does anyone have this stand?

Topeak Prep

It looks nice, and it has a built in scale up to 55 lbs. It also rotates 360 degrees and looks solid in the photo. My choice is between this one and the PCS-4. So has anyone seen one of these in person? Is the scale accurate? General quality? Thanks.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
from the clamp, to the folding tripod, to the QR design, it looks VERY similar to the Ultimate Pro. If so, it should be very good. The Ultimate does not have a built-in scale, but one is now available as an attachment.

-B