Quantcast

Best ride near Greenwater (Hwy 410)

sudhamike

Chimp
Nov 26, 2003
I have an opportunity to do a shuttle ride Mon 7/25, and will be camping at the Dalles Sun. night. Long story short, my drop-off driver is a family-man kinda guy, with his family in the car, and a markedly low tolerance for rough roads. I've done Sun Top, but not Corral Pass, Ranger Creek or Dalles Ridge. Anyone who could share any beta on gated roads, or the comparative qualities of each ride would be my true friend for life.
I ride a Heckler, with a lot of burly Diabolus parts, so I tend towards the downhill-ish, cross country trails.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i don't think Corral is bad if you don't bomb it. It's 6.5 miles up with 3000+ elevation gain (FR 7174). At the Corral ride to Dalles Ridge Trail, the left trail at the end of the first small parking lot at the top of the ridge. Keep riding ignoring small trails to the left and right, stay on the trail it turns into a jeep doubletrack and goes up 2 climbs, the second climb is a hike a bike for sure.

Now you got 2 decisions.

Deep Creek is the first left. Drop your seat a ways, steep and technical, hope your brakes work. At the bottom stay right on White River Trail. White River Trail follows 410 you can follow that past the bottom of Ranger Creek trail, then it drops down close to the road. At that point or many other points you can exit the trail if you want to finish and if that get's you close to your camping spot.

Ranger Creek you stay right on Dalles, you'll see a section that drops down off the ridge, drop the seat an inch or two. Around the switchbacks avoid taking a right and continue left. Another few small climbs then down the rest of the way, avoid one more right and stay left. You'll come to a shelter, by the log to the left continues Ranger Creek Trail, again don't take a right down Palisaides Trail (unless you want more climbing, but better views). If you do take Palisaides down just stay on the trail all the way down, it dumps you on the very end of White River Trail. Anyways for Ranger avoid Little Ranger to the right in the clearing and when you come down to White River take a right and follow the same advice to finish Deep Creek at the end.

Buy a Green Trails map at the store in Greenwater and buy a compass at REI. Make sure you bring plenty of water and food just in case. Have a blast man.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
there is that road 72 also that Stacy1 talks about thats longer, but mellower? There are a few rough corners on that main road up.... but its really not so bad...

I'd say Ranger would be best since its longer than deep creek and still pointed mostly downhill. I liked it more than deep creek for the length of it..... deep creek is a thrill ride though.....