Quantcast

Best Road Bike for $1K?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
The combination of office job and poor choices has me putting on weight. The last time I got myself in this situation, I got back in shape by riding my road bike after work. That bike never really fit that well, so I sold it. That was a dumb move….

All of that being said, I could probably talk myself into spending 1K on a new road bike. What suggestions do you guys have? The local shop is a Specialized dealer, but there is a SuperGo (Performance?) 20 minutes away.

Any and all help (Links!) would be very appreciated.

Thanks! :thumb:

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
although performance and giant have gone seperate ways, you may be able to find an OCR1. The best bike out there for 1000 bucks!
Carbon Fork and seatpost...ultegra shifters and derailluers.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
VDfree said:
although performance and giant have gone seperate ways, you may be able to find an OCR1. The best bike out there for 1000 bucks!
Huh. I'll have to look into that one!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
jeb4 said:
Huh. I'll have to look into that one!
I just checked out the spec on the Giant site. For 1000 MSRP, that is an unbelievable bike, IMO. There don't appear to be any real corners cut; looks like a solid ride. I'd go for that or look used. Used road bikes are probably a safer market than mountain and you can get great deals.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
VDfree said:
Word! That was my first road bike.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The Giant is a solid contender in the 1k price range. I was looking at a CX bike as a cheap alternative to a full on road bike - I was looking at the Schwinn Fastback CX, thinking that Schwinn was on a downward swing as far at the brand goes, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any online deals on those.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
LordOpie said:
how about this time, you buy a bike that fits?

That means not worrying about brands or specs.
I had another response posted to this but there is no reason for the flammage.....and this post isn't worth it. Like my first priority isn't getting a bike that fits.... :rolleyes:

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
i bought a r700 three weeks ago, amazing bike for the price, couldn't be happier, unless i had a r1000 :)

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
OK..........

I have ridden several bikes since my first post....including the OCR1

That bike (the OCR 1) is amazing for the price. I just may pick one up this week.....

J

JRB

Look for a Masi as well. I thought my OCR1 was too flexy in the BB, but it was the old tube set.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I bought an Ironhorse triumph comp back in August and I really like it. It squeaks in just under 1k if I remember right.

J

JRB

z0s01 said:
oh man...that's funny. when you roll like thunder, who needs to worry about climbing.
That doesn't really make any sense there, Toobplate.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
The Trek 1000 to the Trek 1500 are a good bike. Prices start at $600 and go up to $1150. Try 'em out one time, I like them.

J

JRB

jeb4 said:
Nice! But way too big....
What size (approx) do you need? I know of a nice TCR with full Ultegra for a little less than $800, but it is a small.