Quantcast

Best setup for 1x9

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What would be the best guide for a trailriding 1x9 setup?

I love this new E-13... but is it light andd quiet...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I run a 1X8 and I just use a front Der adjusted out.
How much is that ?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So how much is the above guide?
I would love to throw one on my bike but to drop $100+ on something I already have seems crazy!

J

JRB

I got a Truvativ box guide from Cambria for $50, and it seems pretty nice. Easy to set up. The one I got is for ISCG, but I am thinking I have seen them for BB mount for under $70 somewhere.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
Curious...what size ring do you run? I am going to do a '1x9' on my commuter bike - didn't know there was a name for it. I realized I never leave the big ring 42t and want to replace all that crap up front but slap an old MRP (mainly to protect mah pants) It doesnt seem to cross-chain badly at all (just like my other DH/FR bikes)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
I got a Truvativ box guide from Cambria for $50, and it seems pretty nice. Easy to set up. The one I got is for ISCG, but I am thinking I have seen them for BB mount for under $70 somewhere.
You're running a SS correct?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
loco said:
I'll look into it.

Is it quiet enough?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
why dont you run 2 bash guards or 2 mrp plates...If you are truely trail riding the resistance from the guide might drive you nuts. I don think your chain is going anywhere incased in 2 plates of metal.

the LG-1 is sexy as hell though...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The Gamut guide is perfect for you. It's only 70 grams heavier than the E13, but it's got a burly bashgaurd. It works best with a 38t sprocket, which is the perfect size for trail riding. There isn't much you can't climb with a 38-34, and you won't spin out on the road getting to the trail head. I've had a Gamut guide for a long time, and I'm very happy with it. It's very quiet, has almost zero resistence, and is super light. Worth every penny.

http://gamutusa.com/detalle_product.asp?id=6

J

JRB

Jozz said:
I'll look into it.

Is it quiet enough?
It's very quiet. It comes with two spindles for the roller so you can adjust out any rub. I have the short one, and it is quiet.

I have it set up as a 1 x 9 now, stosh.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
bikenweed said:
The Gamut guide is perfect for you. It's only 70 grams heavier than the E13, but it's got a burly bashgaurd. It works best with a 38t sprocket, which is the perfect size for trail riding. There isn't much you can't climb with a 38-34, and you won't spin out on the road getting to the trail head. I've had a Gamut guide for a long time, and I'm very happy with it. It's very quiet, has almost zero resistence, and is super light. Worth every penny.

http://gamutusa.com/detalle_product.asp?id=6
That thing is sexy too!

Wow, more options than I thought!

What about the Heim guide?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Wumpus said:
a bashguard and get one of those NGear Jump Stops

i second that. used one for about two years back east with a 1x9 setup on my hardtail. works great. keeps the chain where you want it, but doesn't add all the resistance of a true guide system.

decent chainline up front + unramped chainring + jump stop + outer bashring = no problems dropping the chain up front.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I guess Im confused on this one...

If you're going to go ahead with the extra weight of a guide, why wouldnt you just run 3 rings and a der. on the front and have a more capable bike?
Is this 1x9 thing some kind of new metro fad or something?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BurlyShirley said:

If you're going to go ahead with the extra weight of a guide, why wouldnt you just run 3 rings and a der. on the front and have a more capable bike?
Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth... I run 2 rings + bash up front with a der. On some trails, I never touch my granny, and if everything isn't dialed in perfectly, the chain has a tendancy to drop to the small ring in rough sections. If I were actually doing any real serious riding, never mind racing... that would annoy the hell out of me and make it more than worth investing in some type of guide setup.

The weight of a guide is insignificant in the scope of the 195lbs that my bike and I weigh.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth... I run 2 rings + bash up front with a der. On some trails, I never touch my granny, and if everything isn't dialed in perfectly, the chain has a tendancy to drop to the small ring in rough sections. If I were actually doing any real serious riding, never mind racing... that would annoy the hell out of me and make it more than worth investing in some type of guide setup.
dw pointed that out in a thread in DH for a DRS on a Reign. I have never had a problem, but I guess our trails aren't as rough. They seem like it though.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:

The weight of a guide is insignificant in the scope of the 195lbs that my bike and I weigh.
I run the same thing, but I wouldnt want to live w/out my granny gear. And if I DID, i sure as hell wouldnt replace my 32 witha 38 or whatever that somebody suggested...
I just dont see much of an advantage of going to 1x9 with the drawbacks you'd get, but hey, its your bike..

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
dw pointed that out in a thread in DH for a DRS on a Reign. I have never had a problem, but I guess our trails aren't as rough. They seem like it though.
I think it has more to do with how well setup the drivetrain is - chain lines, chain tension, that sort of thing. I'm just not good enough at getting it really dialed in. "Good enough" is about as good as it gets for me... which most of the time is just that - good enough.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BurlyShirley said:
I run the same thing, but I wouldnt want to live w/out my granny gear. And if I DID, i sure as hell wouldnt replace my 32 witha 38 or whatever that somebody suggested...
I just dont see much of an advantage of going to 1x9 with the drawbacks you'd get, but hey, its your bike..
I absolutely agree - I need my granny on some trails, which is part of the reason why I deal with the occasion dropped chain. But if I had an XC bike to compliment my Yeti as a trail bike, I could definitely see running one as a 1x9.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
BurlyShirley said:

My Evil plan is:

Evil Sovereign
1x9
Full lenght housing for the rear derailleur held by a few tyraps.
Cassette - Spacer kit and King cog.

So you get a bike that can be converted to Single Speed in about 5 minutes.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
It's very quiet. It comes with two spindles for the roller so you can adjust out any rub. I have the short one, and it is quiet.

I have it set up as a 1 x 9 now, stosh.
Sweet! You're XTR canks rock my world!!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my DOC will be 1x9.

34 x 11/32 with an LG1 (will likely go with an 11/34 at some point). and full length RD housing, if anyone cares.

J

JRB

Echo said:
That thing looks awesome. It appears that it's designed to extend to the granny, do you know if it will work to a MTB singlespeed chainring (middle ring)?
It looks as if there is a screw that allows lateral adjustment, so it should work with a spindle that is not crazy long.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
BurlyShirley said:

Uh, what? Way to go with doubting something before you ever try it. What's the matter, you aren't strong enough to pedal a 38-34? It might seem intimidating, but it's a rad set-up that takes a lot of hassle and noise out of riding. Yay!

Don't get the Truvativ guide, it's noisy and not the most reliable, at least in my 3 years of experience with it. It also doesn't have a bashring included with it, and has a couple smaller screws that liked to loosen up. After awhile I got it set up right, and it didn't drop many chains, but it was never perfect.

Don't get the Heim guide, a friend got it, and had all kinds of trouble. Plus, you're still lugging around all kinds of deraillures and rings and stuff. Doesn't really solve anything IMO.

Those chain keeper things still let the chain fall off way too easily on rough stuff. When there's no roller on the bottom, the oscillating chain slaps itself right off with some big stutter bumps.

Check this out:
Front Shimano XT deraillure: 130 grams.
Left Shimano XT shifter: 130 grams.
Add two chain rings, and the simple, quiet, hassle free single ring is lighter. Go for either the Gamut or the LG-1, both are great guides. I love the Gamut to death, it's perfect in my eyes. I also love the 38t ring.

I dunno bout MTB's, but in BMX, going up one tooth on the cassette is the equivalent of going down 2 and a half teeth on the chainring. The six tooth difference between the 38 and the 32 would be basically the difference between a 34 and a 32 cassette, not much.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Q. I'm running a single front chainring and my chain keeps coming off. Will the Jump Stop work even though there isn't a front derailleur?
A. I have many single-ring customers who use the Jump Stop in conjunction with an outer ring guide. Even though I did not foresee that application when I was designing the Jump Stop, it seems to work quite well.

Q. How much side-to-side adjustment range does the Jump Stop have?
A. Measuring the distance between the seat tube and the chain when it's on the smallest (or only) ring, the Jump Stop can cover a gap from 15mm to 35mm (9/16" to 1-3/8").

seems they're stocked at QBP.