Quantcast

best shock for sunday

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hi, I guess this probably has been adressed before, but never the less, I didn't find any real answers. I just bought a 07 Sunday that comes with the stock Fox DHX 5. I've had bad experiences with fox in the past and was thinking off looking for an upgrade. I was thinking of getting a CC Double Barrel, but I've been told it doenst handle the low leverage ratio that well. On the other side, I have a friend that had a CCDB on his sunday, he says you loose a bit of small bump plushness, but the sunday becomes a lot more stable and never bottoms outs. I was also thinking off an elka shock, they are cheap to buy and from what I've read pretty spot on. Another option is the avalanche dhs and have it valved for the sundays leverage ratio and my weight/riding style. what do you think? getting the fox pushed is out of the question

I dont have any answers for the CCDB sunday tune but I can tell you my FOX pushed is one of the best shocks I have ever rode(for a sunday). I would think Elka would be a great choice. They are quite cheap and they tune the shock for your specific bike,weight,ect..ect. If you wanted to spend top dollar the BOS comes with a BOS machined lower link so that would be one less thing to worry about(I would think the quality would be much better than stock) and you would have no fitment issues. Plus they supplied suspension for the Kenda Playbiker team so I would imagine it is well sorted for a sunday.

Last edited:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Best shock for Sunday is usually the same for Saturday...
or Friday...
or Thursday...
etc.

Seriously though, I thought that CC addressed that issue with the new and improved CCBD? There are a few cats around here that should be able answer it for ya.

I've been on CCBD since it was a prototype and will not ride anything else, so I'm a bit bias. And I'll be the first to admit that I'm not up on the the latest specs of the CCDB, I just get a new shock when ever Malcolm tells me to. I also don't ride a Sunday, so I guess I'm not much help here.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
and modify your frame?
Yeah you have to take a LOT of material out to fit the RC4 in there. In saying that, it does work pretty well with the Sunday.

Out of the three shocks I've tried in the Sunday (DHX, RC4 and Elka) I'd recommend the Elka. The RC4 is a very close 2nd in performance but its rebound curve is IMO not as dialled, and while you have to remove some material to fit the Elka in, you have to remove a lot more to fit the RC4 in. The DHXs just don't mesh that well with the Sundays with the stock tune in my opinion, the whole "light compression tune" thing seems to have been taken too far, to the point where you just can't get nearly enough compression out of em if you're over 80kg (180ish lbs). The RC4 gives you more progression but the Elka gives you the best mid-stroke control IMO.

The new tune for the CCDBs should work fine with the Sundays (and everything down to a ~2.3:1 leverage ratio I've heard?).

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
would recommend a progressive shock
e.g. Fox DHX is to linear and bottoms out easily
I often read about the CCDB that it is also quite linear
would take a BOS S*toy

I have a pushed DHX. It works really good, but also bottoms out quite often but not as often as the standard DHX

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
would recommend a progressive shock
e.g. Fox DHX is to linear and bottoms out easily
I often read about the CCDB that it is also quite linear
would take a BOS S*toy

I have a pushed DHX. It works really good, but also bottoms out quite often but not as often as the standard DHX
The only "progressive" (ie position-sensitive) shock out of those three is the DHX, the other two are only speed-sensitive and linear with regards to position.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Yeah you have to take a LOT of material out to fit the RC4 in there. In saying that, it does work pretty well with the Sunday.

Out of the three shocks I've tried in the Sunday (DHX, RC4 and Elka) I'd recommend the Elka. The RC4 is a very close 2nd in performance but its rebound curve is IMO not as dialled, and while you have to remove some material to fit the Elka in, you have to remove a lot more to fit the RC4 in. The DHXs just don't mesh that well with the Sundays with the stock tune in my opinion, the whole "light compression tune" thing seems to have been taken too far, to the point where you just can't get nearly enough compression out of em if you're over 80kg (180ish lbs). The RC4 gives you more progression but the Elka gives you the best mid-stroke control IMO.

The new tune for the CCDBs should work fine with the Sundays (and everything down to a ~2.3:1 leverage ratio I've heard?).
thanks socket that points me in the right direction. I got the 07 sunday and I've been told that the double barrel fits in just good with the new links (the 07-09 linkgs). How much more material would I have to take out for the elka to fit? I can get the fox valved by a friend of mine, he's really good at it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
thanks socket that points me in the right direction. I got the 07 sunday and I've been told that the double barrel fits in just good with the new links (the 07-09 linkgs). How much more material would I have to take out for the elka to fit? I can get the fox valved by a friend of mine, he's really good at it.
If you look at the lower link, there are two cross-braces, a thin one towards the front of the bike, and a thick one towards the rear. The thin one needs to come out entirely, and you need to remove maybe half the thickness of the thicker one with a die grinder. I can't tell you exactly how much needs to come out, it might be more or less than that - the only way to work it out properly is to put the shock in the bike with no spring, compress it until the shock touches the link, then keep removing material from the link wherever it's touching until you can bottom it out HARD (and I do mean hard!) without the shock touching the link. Just make sure everything you grind out is as smooth and even as you can make it, so there's no stress risers that could cause the link to crack or anything later on.

With the RC4, you need to do the same as above, but you need to take out significantly more material as well as removing the LSC knob (or you can leave it on and have to take out even MORE material haha... but personally I'd rather not).

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I rode a 2006 sunday for a while with a pushed dhx 5.0 and a 300 pound spring. The bike felt great, just rode a bit too low in the travel for me.

I now have a 2008 sunday with a Rockshox vivid B tune and a 300 pound spring. I haven't gotten much ride time on it yet but it does seem like a great shock for the sunday. I don't have quite as much sag so it sits higher up and I'm a little less likely to smash my cranks everywhere.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I rode a 2006 sunday for a while with a pushed dhx 5.0 and a 300 pound spring. The bike felt great, just rode a bit too low in the travel for me.

I now have a 2008 sunday with a Rockshox vivid B tune and a 300 pound spring. I haven't gotten much ride time on it yet but it does seem like a great shock for the sunday. I don't have quite as much sag so it sits higher up and I'm a little less likely to smash my cranks everywhere.
what about the vivid compared to the fox? I could get a vivid with a b tune for real cheap, would it be an upgrade? or more less the same? Im not just talking about the shocks, but the shocks on a sunday, cause I know a lot of people think the the fox and the rs are at the same level more less

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I haven't ridden the new bike with the vivid enough to make a comparison yet, but I can say the vivid is significantly better than the stock dhx 5.0 for the bike. But I ran a pushed DHX, which was a fairly decent upgrade over stock. Once all this snow melts hopefully I can get some ride time with the vivid and try to find some decent results.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
anything is better than the vivid, I'd go with the Elka or the ccdb if they have sorted out the sunday issues. Both have excellent cs. I think you need the a tune anyway if still considering the vivid

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Don't want to push your decision in any particular direction (all those shocks have their ups and downs IMO) but the new CCDB will suit the sunday just fine. I'm 65kg and running a 250lb spring, and the 2010 CC still has enough range that if I ran the adjusters all the way out it'd be too lightly damped.

So being harsh/overdamped definitely isn't an issue anymore.