Quantcast

Best site to download music????

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
So I'm stuck for the next month working second shift........:mumble: Anyway, I thought while I've got all this spare time on my hands I'd start downloading MP3's for music for trip at the end of December.

Anyway.......all you music monkeys, what are the best sites to purchase MP3's from? I can't do P2P here at work due to firewall and IT issues, but I can download music from a for purchase site. Also do any use paypal?

Thanks in advance.....................

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
iTunes works great, but eMusic.com costs a quarter per song at the most. I pay $10 a month for 40 downloads, and get to keep the songs after I stop paying the subscription as they are in true mp3 format. There is a smaller choice of music, but if you look you will probably find something that you like, and it will force you to expand your tastes. It's worth a look IMHO.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
www.mp3search.ru

Songs are $0.10 each. The music selection is pretty good too, but they don't have alot of the more obscure bands/artists. I have downloaded about 300 songs so far, with no bad experiences.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I saw a TV commercial for Yahoo music, with a low monthly fee and unlimited DL's. Anybody used this service?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I had a lot of luck with freebiedrop.com and dancingmokey.com. you need to join them for free . Lately though its been hit or miss

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
luken8r said:
http://www.allofmp3.com/

i recently found it and its pretty tight. they sell mp3s on size rather than by song. I downloaded every cool AC/DC and Zep song that I like (maybe 40-50 total) for <$6
Man, that place has tons of stuff!

Question: Its a Russian site, and in its Terms of Use it states, "You shall not download audio and video files from AllOFMP3.com if the Terms are in conflict with the laws of your country of residence."

Does this mean that to download from this site is just as illegal (in the US) as using a P2P service?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pixelninja said:
Man, that place has tons of stuff!

Question: Its a Russian site, and in its Terms of Use it states, "You shall not download audio and video files from AllOFMP3.com if the Terms are in conflict with the laws of your country of residence."

Does this mean that to download from this site is just as illegal (in the US) as using a P2P service?
i would say so...i'm pretty sure the artists don't see dime one of those downloads...just a guess, but i'd say it's accurate.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I'd stay clear of a russian site selling songs for a dime. a) they're almost definitely illegal, and b) I would never trust them with my credit card.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Ridemonkey said:
use iTunes.
If I use iTunes to buy mp3's, would I be able to play them in my newly purchased Creative Labs mp3 player or can I only play them on Apple products? Also, does iTunes allow you to download different quality, i.e. 128 kbps/192 kbps/320 kbps?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Not sure, I have an ipod. I believe they're all 128kbps mp3s, so in theory you should be able to use them on a non-Apple mp3 player, but don't quote me on that. You could buy one to test with.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i *believe* that iTunes allows you to choose formats (either m4a (apple's compression) or mp3). not sure about bit rate selection, but i would hope that they would allow at least 192 or so...320 is huge for a small gain, and you may as well go FLAC if you are that high.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yep, I think so. They're not exactly designed for audiophiles though, you have to remember that their market is kids with iPods for the most part.

I can deal with 128 most of the time because I mostly listen on my iPod, and you can't really tell the difference.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
narlus said:
i *believe* that iTunes allows you to choose formats (either m4a (apple's compression) or mp3). not sure about bit rate selection, but i would hope that they would allow at least 192 or so...320 is huge for a small gain, and you may as well go FLAC if you are that high.
I'm just curious because I remember reading an article online somewhere that talked about how all the mp3 available on iTunes were 128 kpbs since Apple decided to sacrifice a bit of quality for download speed.

I'm not much of an audiophile either, but I'd want the option to get them at a higher quality.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It's spam but I gotta say that they picked up on this thread and posted pretty quickly. Not bad for a spammer. Ahem.. now, let's see... ahhh yes... "Report Bad Post"... SPAM!

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
pixelninja said:
If I use iTunes to buy mp3's, would I be able to play them in my newly purchased Creative Labs mp3 player or can I only play them on Apple products? Also, does iTunes allow you to download different quality, i.e. 128 kbps/192 kbps/320 kbps?
Nope. iTunes downloads are in AAC format with Fairplay DRM, one format and one bitrate, and can only be played on the iPod. If you want to rip or burn a CD, you will be able to choose the format and bitrate. I suggest going with mp3 if you want something that will work on any music player.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I would avoid iTunes unless you want to continue to pay Apple for the rights to keep using the music you already paid for.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
It's spam but I gotta say that they picked up on this thread and posted pretty quickly. Not bad for a spammer. Ahem.. now, let's see... ahhh yes... "Report Bad Post"... SPAM!
I am in no way spamming. He asked a question I answered- simple as that. I have spent alot of $$ on iTunes, but got tired of burning songs to CD then burning them back to my hard drive as plain mp3s.

Regarding Russians having my credit card number, I got a one-time use number from my credit card company and paid with that.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Tenchiro said:
I would avoid iTunes unless you want to continue to pay Apple for the rights to keep using the music you already paid for.
Nope. You get to keep the music you buy from Apple. You can burn it and share it over the network as well (to a limited number of users), you just can't play it on anything but an iPod or iTunes.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Andyman_1970 said:
Well that counts iTunes out..................as much as I hate to say it I'm leaning towards Wal (I mean 'evil') Mart and their $0.88 downloads.
Mmm, WalMart: driving down income for people in America and around the world who are already too poor to afford a table for their plates to sit on, if they are fortunate enough to have plates. It may be cheaper, but think about how dirty you will feel :blah:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
kinghami3 said:
Mmm, WalMart: driving down income for people in America and around the world who are already too poor to afford a table for their plates to sit on, if they are fortunate enough to have plates. It may be cheaper, but think about how dirty you will feel :blah:

Don't pirate!
Arrrggghhhh!

After WalMart lowered my income I was left with no other choice but to pirate. Besides it's all in your point of view... I'm not a software pirate, I am a software privateer. Arrrgghh!

I'm not sure which leaves me feeling dirtier... buying from WalMart, or pirating via LimeWire, Bit Torrent, etc.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Ciaran said:
Arrrggghhhh!

After WalMart lowered my income I was left with no other choice but to pirate. Besides it's all in your point of view... I'm not a software pirate, I am a software privateer. Arrrgghh!

I'm not sure which leaves me feeling dirtier... buying from WalMart, or pirating via LimeWire, Bit Torrent, etc.
Buying from W-Mart is way, way dirtier.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
kinghami3 said:
Nope. You get to keep the music you buy from Apple. You can burn it and share it over the network as well (to a limited number of users), you just can't play it on anything but an iPod or iTunes.
Yeah but if you ever want to play them on anything but your PC, you have to buy their equipment or pay extra for the licensing of whatever device you are using.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Tenchiro said:
Yeah but if you ever want to play them on anything but your PC, you have to buy their equipment or pay extra for the licensing of whatever device you are using.
Ay mayte, it goes both ways, and ye must be remembering that ye may burn a CD if ye likes. Arrrgh!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Tenchiro said:
you're whining about a complete non-issue. burn a CD, play it in your car or your stereo. no extra license costs. put away the tin foil hat.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Toshi said:
you're whining about a complete non-issue. burn a CD, play it in your car or your stereo. no extra license costs. put away the tin foil hat.
But how would I get the iTunes songs from my computer to my Creative Labs mp3 player? Download the song, burn to CD, then rip the CD back to my computer?