Quantcast

Best spokes for DH

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
Hi monkeys!

I'm building a new wheelset and already have Hope Pro 2 hubs and Mavic 823's rims.

What is the best option (low weight, but still strong) from DT Swiss?

I can't come to a conclusion because there are so many models out there...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Stronger nothin.

Build 'em with straight gauge if you want a stronger wheel. Build them with butted if you want a slightly lighter wheel that you have to true more often.

Cue ten page thread and "I built blah blah for blah blah years......" :D

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Stronger nothin.

Build 'em with straight gauge if you want a stronger wheel. Build them with butted if you want a slightly lighter wheel that you have to true more often.

Cue ten page thread and "I built blah blah for blah blah years......" :D
I built wheels for 10 years before you were even an itch in your dads pants.

but seriously, what he said. I've built wheelsets the hold up with doublebutted, but lets be honest here, straight gauge makes for stronger wheelsets.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you insist on using aluminum nipples, I actually think Supercomps build stronger because they're only 1.8mm at the threads, so the nipple walls end up being thicker and they don't break as easily. But that's a lot of money to spend for not much weight savings. Unless you're going super weight weenie (and since you're using 823s I'm thinking not) you can't go wrong with straight gauge and brass nips.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Nope - for this year sapim has superspoke which is lighter (and acording to them stronger) than x-rays. Though they cost a ****load probably.

As for spokes - if you know a very good wheelbuilder making a strong wheel on 823s and revolutions is possible. With a average one Id go with comps.

Aug 4, 2008
Another vote for Sapim CX-Ray!

Makes a stiff wheelset. And Strong! I busted a Mavic EX823 on a big case I had (I had to hire a lawyer!) - and the rim cracked on the point of impact, while the wheel still stayed true - kinda insane (not a single spoke broke). And I still use the same spokes without any indication of problems.

And I also like to see the look on people's faces when you tell them that each spoke costs 3 euros :).

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Another vote the CX ray spokes,outstanding good & strong spokes.Done a view hard DH rides with it and still not broken.My next DH wheelset is going to be spec'd with the new Sapim super spoke;)

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
go with the cheapest spokes you can find, around where i live they are like 0.2$, yes the whell will be a 100g heavier but you will save 200$ compared to the cx rays :D

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I managed to scoop up some mawri straight gauge Ti spokes a while back and if I could afford to build everything with them I would. They are 14ga so there aren't any issues with Al nips, and they are lighter than a dt super comp.