Quantcast

Best steel HT for Dual crown

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
I'm looking at getting a steel hartail and putting my 2002 monster T on it. I'm hoping I can find one that can take a 3.0/26 rear. I also want a steep(69d) HA with 7inch fork.

Any ideas or will I have to go custom?

Lennox

Monkey
Mar 27, 2003
Toronto, Ont. Canada
i LOVE my .243 racing frame... i dont know about a 3.0/26 in the back.. it does 2.7 fine... but 3.0 will prob have to be a 24

such a solid frame... i love it for dh

kinda tall with the 888, but i like it ;)

heres a pic, but i have a dj on it now with hookworms... it rocks man

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
go to busted spoke.com and aks
some guy in New Hampshire i think makes a stell hardtail frame are under a few riders. the name of the frame is an aztech i found a pic info

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
id say custom, maybe pm Draco here on ridemonkey, he does custom steel frames at a reasonable price out of Rochester NY.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
nh dude said:
go to busted spoke.com and aks
some guy in New Hampshire i think makes a stell hardtail frame are under a few riders. the name of the frame is an aztech i found a pic info
Aztech makes some of the best steel HT's and FS's bikes in the world. If I go custom, it will be an Aztech. Sometimes I get to ride with the builder. Dude is fast as hell, down to earth and makes amazing bikes.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Lennox said:
i LOVE my .243 racing frame... i dont know about a 3.0/26 in the back.. it does 2.7 fine... but 3.0 will prob have to be a 24

such a solid frame... i love it for dh

kinda tall with the 888, but i like it ;)

heres a pic, but i have a dj on it now with hookworms... it rocks man
Nice rig man!

I like the .243 & Transition Trail-or-Parks allot. But they dont have the angles I'm looking for because they're built around shorter forks. I don't want it to be too raked for my tastes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
segerton said:
Aztech makes some of the best steel HT's and FS's bikes in the world.
so what other steel FS bikes are there? brooklyn, hood, keewee, maybe a canfield at one point...ummm..anyone else?

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Dirty said:
id say custom, maybe pm Draco here on ridemonkey, he does custom steel frames at a reasonable price out of Rochester NY.
Thanks. I'll search for pics.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
narlus said:
so what other steel FS bikes are there? brooklyn, hood, keewee, maybe a canfield at one point...ummm..anyone else?
I think you just named them all. Bet there will be more soon cause steel FS bikes are the future!!!

Too many peeps are snapping aluminum FS frames!! :eviltongu

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
segerton said:
I think you just named them all. Bet there will be more soon cause steel FS bikes are the future!!!

:rolleyes:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
segerton said:

Yep, that's the future fo sho, and maxxis is going to have to up there tire sizes to 3.0 or 3.2, nokian is already making a 3.0 and their stomping everyone else. Just the other day I was going to do this uber huck on my bike but then I got to thinking, I have an aluminum frame and it might snap like a matchstick so I decided not to huck it untill I can get a steel bike, does ne1 make a steel rim, tat would be so pimp and stronger than doublewides. Can one of you rich old dudes give me some $$ cause i real11y want to do this huck but 'im afraid my bike will brake so i need a steel one.

:rolleyes:

Besides steel is getting more and more expensive for us as china's economy booms. I'd think stuff like carbon fiber is really what the future will unveil.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
youre not going to find a steel hardtail with a 69 head angle and a 7 inch fork. As much as I encourage small business, I personally wouldnt trust my life and my health to a bike built with a total lack of any type of structural analysis etc... There are plenty of reputable builders who will build you a custom if you need it. That is just my personal opinion though.

In reality if you want to run a 7" fork on a hardtail, there are plenty of steel and aluminum bikes out there off the shelf that will be awesome choices. Ride some bikes and then make your choice. Definitely dont discount aluminum either. People that claim steel bikes are stronger etc... are just fooling themselves. Its simply not the case. Plenty of info on that by using the search function.

Dave

Nov 2, 2004
dw said:
youre not going to find a steel hardtail with a 69 head angle and a 7 inch fork. As much as I encourage small business, I personally wouldnt trust my life and my health to a bike built with a total lack of any type of structural analysis etc... There are plenty of reputable builders who will build you a custom if you need it. That is just my personal opinion though.

Dave
Hey DW, who the hell are you? How can you say that a small frame builder (specifically AZtech) builds his bikes with a "total lack of any type of structural analysis" (nice sentence structure by the way, real easy for the reader)?? Do you KNOW Sean?? If so YOU ARE OUTRIGHT LYING!! Why? You obviously have some sort of agenda. Get over it and on with your life dood!

Besides, you are right, I'd MUCH rather buy a frame from some corporation that only makes them for the LOOT, as opposed to a RIDER OWNED company that makes bikes because HE LOVES TO RIDE AND BUILD BIKES. Take your agenda elsewhere, well, actually, keep it here, I'll just stay off this forum. Glad I singned up :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
KillerOfPenguin said:
Hey DW, who the hell are you? How can you say that a small frame builder (specifically AZtech) builds his bikes with a "total lack of any type of structural analysis" (nice sentence structure by the way, real easy for the reader)?? Do you KNOW Sean?? If so YOU ARE OUTRIGHT LYING!! Why? You obviously have some sort of agenda. Get over it and on with your life dood!

Besides, you are right, I'd MUCH rather buy a frame from some corporation that only makes them for the LOOT, as opposed to a RIDER OWNED company that makes bikes because HE LOVES TO RIDE AND BUILD BIKES. Take your agenda elsewhere, well, actually, keep it here, I'll just stay off this forum. Glad I singned up :rolleyes:
Hey, idiot, who the hell are you?

When you just sign up for a place, you should think about laying low for a little while and figuring out who you're insulting before you make yourself look like a complete and total asshole in front of everyone.

If you actually knew who you were insulting, you'd find that DW is the co-owner of Evil Bikes/E.13 Components, and does a lot of engineering work for Iron Horse and IF. I can't even remember a time that DW has said something that he didn't have a valid reason for saying, and he knows his sh!t better than just about anyone on this board. This is a smart guy who is careful with his posts and to my knowledge has never said something negative about a company when they didn't deserve it. He will always get the benefit of the doubt here, not you.

So how about taking your crap elsewhere, or showing a little respect for those who know more than you do and have been here longer. Nobody appreciates someone who shows up and decides to deride one of the most knowledgable members of the board with their first post.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
binary visions said:

When you just sign up for a place, you should think about laying low for a little while and figuring out who you're insulting before you make yourself look like a complete and total asshole in front of everyone.

If you actually knew who you were insulting, you'd find that DW is the co-owner of Evil Bikes/E.13 Components, and does a lot of engineering work for Iron Horse and IF. I can't even remember a time that DW has said something that he didn't have a valid reason for saying, and he knows his sh!t better than just about anyone on this board. This is a smart guy who is careful with his posts and to my knowledge has never said something negative about a company when they didn't deserve it. He will always get the benefit of the doubt here, not you.

So how about taking your crap elsewhere, or showing a little respect for those who know more than you do and have been here longer. Nobody appreciates someone who shows up and decides to deride one of the most knowledgable members of the board with their first post.
Um. What makes you think Mr. Penguin doesn't know exactly who DW is? And who are you? Did you invent the telescoping seatpost or something so we should all bow down to your wealth of knowledge and never question your OPINIONS? Or are you just some asss kissing mod who posts more than he rides?? Oh wait, I should lay low and read your all of your 10000000 posts before questioning your authority right? :mumble:

Holy crap did my post get derailed or what??

Nov 2, 2004
binary visions said:

Hey dipsh1t, OBVIOUSLY I knew who he was, and knew he was LYING and had an agenda!!

So, going by YOUR stellar intelligence, higher post count makes you smarter?? You're even dumber than you make it look like you are. Go ahead, suck his ass a little more, maybe it'll get ya somewhere.

Hey DW, why isn't Justin Macminamin riding his Imp anymore?? Oh yeah, he's been SPONSORED by AZtech, yeah, that's right NOT EVIL!! Good show dude. Why wouldn't the NH STATE DH CHAMPION 2 years in a row ride YOUR bike over an AZtech if they suck so much?? Ovalized Headtubes??

You are right though, no one will listen to me over him here, so what's the point? The point is, DAVE knows I am right. Have fun a$$-Fags

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
dw said:
Dave
i'm with KOP :eviltongu
I personally wouldnt trust my life and my health with anything evil or e-13 after that comment....very encouraging..and enlightening.....just my personal opinion

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
KillerOfPenguin said:
I think you read the post wrong. I do not see anything in dw's post saying anything negative about any companies out there. He never said Aztecs name and from what I can tell in the post never even implied them. From what I can gather he is just saying do your research on a bike before you get it because in most cases it is straight up sketchy to be puting a tripple crown forks onto most hardtail frames.
And in reality I have never heard of small custom frame builders that have much experience with software used for structural analasys stuff. Hell, they may be out there but I havent heard of them so let me know if im wrong.

Alumi-NUMB

Chimp
Nov 2, 2004
heikkihall said:
I think you read the post wrong. I do not see anything in dw's post saying anything negative about any companies out there. He never said Aztecs name and from what I can tell in the post never even implied them. From what I can gather he is just saying do your research on a bike before you get it because in most cases it is straight up sketchy to be puting a tripple crown forks onto most hardtail frames.
And in reality I have never heard of small custom frame builders that have much experience with software used for structural analasys stuff. Hell, they may be out there but I havent heard of them so let me know if im wrong.

hmmmm maybe....
Its sort of funny though how AZtech was mentioned and then DW posted that Structural anal-isis post.
It would certainly appear to me that DW was INDEED implying that no structural research was done on AZtech's frames.
How he would know such info, I HAVE NO IDEA.
I happen to know a thing or 2 about AZtechs owner.
And he happens to hold a couple design patents of his own, one that the US military uses to this day in fact if Im not mistaken.
Im not sure if there was "Structural Analysis" done on the frames either.
But I will say this.
Both the the first and second place NH state Hardtail champions are now on/were on AZtech's, 7"or 8" frt ends as well.
The frame does indeed have a 69 degree head angle, and handles the biggest baddest ass fork known to man w ease.

And finally, NO, there is not an AZtech website as of yet, Frames are not ready for mass release to the general public quite yet/although they are available in limited quantities/custom ordering, the net stuff will be along as the bikes are more readily available and it becomes a requirement.
theres plenty of info on em, just search.
www.dhdracesite.com contains the riders/owners local forum, they can be reached here very easily.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Alumi-NUMB said:
hmmmm maybe....
Its sort of funny though how AZtech was mentioned and then DW posted that Structural anal-isis post.
It would certainly appear to me that DW was INDEED implying that no structural research was done on AZtech's frames.
I still see no correlation between saying to do your homework before you go out there and buy a hardtail to accept a 7" fork and people assuming that it was said that AZtecs suck because they may or may not have been designed "properly" Im just saying dont assume if you dont know for certain. Id love to see one of these AZtecs because personally ive never heard of them before today and have not seen them at any races.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Alumi-NUMB said:
hmmmm maybe....
And he happens to hold a couple design patents of his own, one that the US military uses to this day in fact if Im not mistaken.
But I will say this.
Both the the first and second place NH state Hardtail champions are now on/were on AZtech's, 7"or 8" frt ends as well.
The frame does indeed have a 69 degree head angle, and handles the biggest baddest ass fork known to man w ease.

And finally, NO, there is not an AZtech website as of yet, Frames are not ready for mass release to the general public quite yet/although they are available in limited quantities/custom ordering, the net stuff will be along as the bikes are more readily available and it becomes a requirement.
www.dhdracesite.com contains the riders/owners local forum, they can be reached here very easily.
It's also funny how there is all of a sudden a bunch of AZtech lovers and DW haters spawned from just one comment. Geeze I'll re-read every post a dozen times before hitting the reply button just to make sure I don't say something that will force an somebody else to become a RM member just to flame me for being less than prudent. I didn't see a direct referance to AZtech in DW's post, or even an implied reference. He was just making a blanket statement about custom frames in general. While it does strike me as being off based, I am guessing that DW has worked with at least a few of these frame builders getting quotes for having his own designs built, and maybe he does have a gut feeling that some of the shops he's dealt with aren't up to snuff. Structural analysis really isn't as simple as it might look to somebody who is only the casual e-ngineer, there are many factors at play in building a bicylce frame. As far as I know there never was a text book written on the subject, there are no standard impact forces that designers use, it's all calculations the designer has to make off of conservative estimates or at the expense of destructive evaluation. DW can correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe his design philosophy is more on the academic side of things, he seems to be a fairly competent engineer. I have never heared him say something like "it looks strong enough" I have seen him post along the lines of "according to my calcuations..."

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
KillerOfPenguin said:

Are you kidding me with this????

who said anything about your buddy Sean etc....? :rolleyes:

wow.

Alumi-NUMB

Chimp
Nov 2, 2004
With god as my witness, i did not know you were also an engineer narlus.

Now i smell burnt grilled cheese.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
KillerOfPenguin said:
Hey dipsh1t, OBVIOUSLY I knew who he was, and knew he was LYING and had an agenda!!

So, going by YOUR stellar intelligence, higher post count makes you smarter?? You're even dumber than you make it look like you are. Go ahead, suck his ass a little more, maybe it'll get ya somewhere.

Hey DW, why isn't Justin Macminamin riding his Imp anymore?? Oh yeah, he's been SPONSORED by AZtech, yeah, that's right NOT EVIL!! Good show dude. Why wouldn't the NH STATE DH CHAMPION 2 years in a row ride YOUR bike over an AZtech if they suck so much?? Ovalized Headtubes??

You are right though, no one will listen to me over him here, so what's the point? The point is, DAVE knows I am right. Have fun a$$-Fags

Do I know you? Apparently you dont know me...

Dave

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
narlus said:
"Dark Cycles" makes what looks to be a pretty nice steel FS. One could also argue that alot of Balfa products are steel, cause they have had steel rear ends.

HA, I said "rear end"

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Alumi-NUMB said:
hmmmm maybe....
But I will say this.

Please, dont put words in other people's mouthes. Thats just not cool. Now im putting the pieces together.

So somehow, because I suggested to a newbie asking a question that there re a lot of qulaity bikes on the market that he might want to give a try, in a post that an azteck frame was mentioned, team 420 is slandering me? come on guys. Weve raced together for years. It doesnt have to be like that.

Put the agendas away and be cool. Nobody was saying anything at all about your boy and Azteck.

dw