Quantcast

Best thing about your ride last night?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Let's hear it, what was the best thing about your ride last night? I'll go first.

That darn little rock section I have bobbled at least 15 times...rode right through it last night. That and, oh, the beautiful views out there in the middle of nowhere.:love:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Similar experience. Steep rocky section I had always been chicken to ride down I cleaned with no problems. There were also a series of super long steep loose climbs I aced too.:thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I always feel left out since I am not riding nearly as much as i should so i'll tell you the best thing about my run this morning (my second passion, and something i do daily). I felt really strong my whole run (which I haven't been lately). then when i rounded the corner to my street for my cool down, i saw my neighbor's roses in full bloom and i stopped to smell them for a second as the sun was coming up over my house. That was the best thing about my run this morning.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
laura said:
I always feel left out since I am not riding nearly as much as i should so i'll tell you the best thing about my run this morning (my second passion, and something i do daily). I felt really strong my whole run (which I haven't been lately). then when i rounded the corner to my street for my cool down, i saw my neighbor's roses in full bloom and i stopped to smell them for a second as the sun was coming up over my house. That was the best thing about my run this morning.
Yah, morning smells usually beat out night smells. Except for one road rides home when I have to pass Red Robin. I swear they pump out scents into the surrounding streets.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
2 things (can you have 2 "bests"? I'm gonna).

First - was my first time out with anyone from from last year's group who regularly kicked my butt. He was still faster than me, but not by much. All that time on the trainer this winter is paying off!

Second - riding the entire south side in my middle ring, including 2 decent climbs - had never done that before.

Honorable metion goes to riding with Trigger the trail dog. He ripped it up last night!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
laura said:
then when i rounded the corner to my street for my cool down, i saw my neighbor's roses in full bloom and i stopped to smell them for a second as the sun was coming up over my house. That was the best thing about my run this morning.
Very nice!

I didn't ride last night, but the best thing about my ride this morning was that I was able to do the entire ride (Apex Park) in my middle chain ring! For some this may be no big deal, but this was only the 2nd time I've been able to do this. And now sitting at my desk, I feel less tired than I did yesterday morning when I didn't ride.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Nothing really... :(

I got a bad case of chain suck (lodged between the spokes and rear cogs) on the first climb, then later, got a stick into the rear spokes and the broke my rear derailleur hanger... and I was wanting to race Sat too...

Good news is that I was riding with a shop mechanic and we made a SS and I didn't have to walk out of the woods.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Heidi said:
Yah, morning smells usually beat out night smells. .
I don't know. I run through this intersection every morning that has a chinese place on one corner, captain D's (fast food fried fish type crap, didn't know if it was a national chain or not) on the other, KFC on another and a gas station to finish it off. Nothing is more nauseating than stale fried fish and chicken, biscuits, gas and brown sauce at 4.30 in the morning. yack.

However, the BBQ joint smells wonderfull all the time. mmmmm.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I did a road ride last night........very hilly and actually felt like I kept a good pace up the last hill right before my house.....so for a road ride it was just good all around.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Nothing really... :(

I got a bad case of chain suck (lodged between the spokes and rear cogs) on the first climb, then later, got a stick into the rear spokes and the broke my rear derailleur hanger... and I was wanting to race Sat too...

Good news is that I was riding with a shop mechanic and we made a SS and I didn't have to walk out of the woods.

I get the chain behind the cassette on occasion too. I hate it, I've tried fashioning different guards with no luck. Even bought one of those dorkster guards that come on walmart bikes but broke it in one ride.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Best thing was the seond lap after the hammerheads got tired and left and we were free to just relax for another lap. Gapping the roots and manualing some of the rougher sections made that lap feel smooth.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Didn't ride last night but my best part will be me clearing the huge jumps today and pulling some flatties and whips in about 30-45 mins at the djs.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
jacksonpt said:
2 things (can you have 2 "bests"? I'm gonna).

Second - riding the entire south side in my middle ring, including 2 decent climbs - had never done that before.
Oakley I take it. How are the trails drying out? Did you try the north side?

My ride last night was non-existent. Stayed at work too late making other people's rides more enjoyable with new parts.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mike B. said:
Oakley I take it. How are the trails drying out? Did you try the north side?
Yea - surprisingly dry. A few mud holes, but generally conditions were excellent.

We covered the entire south side (some parts in both direction) and most of the north side. The only thing we didn't hit (had to stop due to darkness) was blue 2.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
good post!

I just went from a 32/22 to a single 36t up front :looney: and have been concerned that I couldn't hack the climbs. Tuesday and yesterday I rode, and made, all the usual climbs on my favorite trails. It freakin' killed me, but I made it and I know that this change will make me a lot stronger this year.

However, the BEST part of last night's ride was having my friend Mike pull a cooler of ice cold beer out of his car afterward. He tore his deraileur off a couple of miles out, so we hit a road and I towed him hanging onto my backpack most of the way back.

There is NOTHING like a great ride with great friends followed by a great icy beer. Life is good people. Life is good. :thumb:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Westy said:
I get the chain behind the cassette on occasion too. I hate it, I've tried fashioning different guards with no luck. Even bought one of those dorkster guards that come on walmart bikes but broke it in one ride.
sounds like you need to adjust your rear limiter screw.
set it so you have to almost force the chain into your largest cog.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nick said:
sounds like you need to adjust your rear limiter screw.
set it so you have to almost force the chain into your largest cog.

That isn't it, trust me. If I turn it in anymore I won't be able to shift into the biggest cog. As it is I wear out that gear quickly because the limit screw is set in far enough that the chain is already pushed out as far and proper function will allow. It only happens on really rough trails where the chain gets bounced off. It is mainly user error as I should shift into a smaller cog at that point.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I most likely set a new record for my commute home since my wife was waiting for me so we could head out for some Guinness.

Oh, and if this gets posted again tomorrow I'll have a better report since we are heading up Gridley out in Ojai, which should be in just about the best shape ever.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I converted an old road/touring bike into a run-arounder, complete with flat pedals and a riser handlebar I had laying around as well as a HUGE Azonic Lounge Seat. I did that so I could ride it around our manufacturing plant and cut my walk time. So anyway, some friends of mine came over to the house to pick up his new frame, and we decided to go for a ride on the local trail. This trail is super buff, so I decided to take the new hybrid bike. It was so much fun, I'll be riding it there all the time now!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I did a fireroad climb I'd never done to Lower Cold springs trail. I'd never done lower Cold Springs on the trail bike. The pucker-factor was unbelievable, so freaking scary riding that trail without the DH bike.

I'd say the best part was just bieng on the bike!

I LOVE HAVING SUNLIGHT AFTER WORK!!!!!!!