Quantcast

Best time to buy used DH frame?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My current frame is starting to show its age (almost 10 yrs old now!!).
i'm thinking I can get through one more summer with it though... So would the fall be the best time of year to pick up a used frame? No way in heck I can afford a new one.

I fugure that is when most of the folks look to unload their frames in anticipation of getting a new one for the next season. Or would late winter early spring spring be better since that is when they actually GET the new frames.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you can look at it two ways....late season, when people start to unload their crap and the market is flooded...or early/preseason, when people get new crap and try unload their old crap as soon as possible. people start getting desperate as the season approaches. I know I've sold a few bikes at a loss in April since I really wanted something new.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I have to admit that there are a few frames out there that I'd pick up in a second right now... if only I had the funds.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What 10yr old frame are you on?
An original V-10

Ok, maybe it is only 9 years old ;)

It is funny bc my frame is SO old (how old is it)... It's so old that if I get a new frame I'm also going to have to upgrade a ton of parts.

my V-10 = 135mm x 12mm rear axle; old style ISCG mounts; 73mm Bottombracket

New frames = 150x12mm, ICSG'05 mounts, 83mm BB's

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Bikes seem to be a bit cheaper in the late fall/winter time since very few people are actually riding bikes. When it gets closer to spring people start thinking about bikes again and they want to start building their bike in time for the season. This matched with tax returns can lead to some high prices in the spring, especially on used parts.

Although with the economy not doing so well almost any time of the year is a good time right now. It usually seems like its the DH bike that goes first when people get strapped for cash.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
By March or April people are getting desperate to sell, and will slash their prices. Its a crap shoot waiting that late though, trying to get all of the stuff you need bought and built up before the season starts.