Quantcast

Best Tires for Rays

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
can anyone recommend the best tire for Rays indoor mountain bike park..... looking for some sticky tires... don't wanna be sliding around.. :-) going in december for a looooong weekend.

i'm going to mainly be riding the indoor park, and now they have an indoor dirt park if open i wanna ride that too...

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I just picked up a Continental Race King 2.2 for the front and its basicly pure sex. never been so stoked on a tire.
Looks like a nice tire, but I don't think it would be that great of a choice for park riding. Looks like it would slide out on smooth surfaces. I'd look for a bit more contact area on the tread.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i dont now much about rays, but the skatepark by me that was slicker wood, and plastic, i was rocking hookworms. they are 1 purpose only, but i loved them, and they best part is that they will never wear out.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
i think the best right now are the micro knobbies..... for smooth surfaces... any others?
Rays skatepark is all very grippy wood.

If you have the $$$ Schwable Table Top tires and the best. If you wan't 98% of that peformance don't mid more weight and save a lot of $$ then K-Rads.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I have always had a kenda npj on the back and a small block 8 on the front. ZERO slipping at Ray's, works great for dirt jumps, and very very little slipping of the front wheel at skateparks.

Jun 15, 2008
Syracuse, NY
I have an STP that has holy rollers on it..always had good traction, no issues with sliding on the stunts or ramps.. if you have never been to Rays, all I can say is be prepared to be amazed..the pics and videos don't do it justice on how much stuff he has crammed in the park..great flow and soooo many options...:thumb:

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
I had a bad experience with the micro konbby. It blew off my rim after airing to 70 psi (ruined as its kevlar bead) My friends tire did the same thing. I emailed Toby Henderson (apparently) and he said I was SOL... "Weren't intended to work with some rims"... Mavic 729s!

Ive rocked Kenda Kniption, K-rad, Maxxis Holy and Hookworms.

I recommend Maxxis Holyrollers

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
i see people running all sorts of sketchy crap tires at rays and not having problems with sliding out. the biggest chance of sliding out that you are gonna have is from water on the floor from the leaky roof and no tire is gonna help much with that.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
krads, kiniptions, holy rollers, small block 8s. The specialized ones suck they tear knobs off too quickly. Panaracer UffDas are real nice but a bit heavy. I wish Odessey made the p-lyte Aitkens and p-lyte path in a 26 because the 24s kick azz. Halo twin rails are nice too

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Looks like a nice tire, but I don't think it would be that great of a choice for park riding. Looks like it would slide out on smooth surfaces. I'd look for a bit more contact area on the tread.

I not joking their amazing. Don't really ride like you would expect from looking at the grip, footjams are amazingly dialed and supprisingly sliders are too.

oh heres a bike i found with them. quite a few people run them in europe i guess.

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Cool, thanks for all the replies... i went with Kenda Krads.... but i'll bring a set of Microknobbies as well... :-)

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
how about the khe mac 2's??
I ran those last year for 4 months. They are great unless you run alienation runaway rims. The explode off those rims. This isn't isolated to just me. Every single rider (easily 20) it happened to. Imagine 100psi exploding on your front wheel. Not pretty.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
1. because you inflate them to 100psi. khe's are fine at 80 or so.
2. they blow off way easier on alienation's. you have to let the bead set for a while at 30-40psi, then blow it up the rest of the way a day later.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
1. because you inflate them to 100psi. khe's are fine at 80 or so.
2. they blow off way easier on alienation's. you have to let the bead set for a while at 30-40psi, then blow it up the rest of the way a day later.
that and alienation rims suck, there are many different tires that blow off their rims

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Having two sets of tires for rays is silly. You'll be riding so much you won't have time to even think about your tires. Leave the extras at home, and roll on something with minimal tread. ANYTHING will work.