Quantcast

Best Truing Stand for the Home Mechanic.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
This isnt really a DH specific question but here it goes.

Id like some recommendations for an affordable wheel truing stand that doesn't have to be mounted to a bench, can accept 650B with multiple axle sizes.

Any advice will be great.

Chris

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
if you're just needing to true and not build, zip ties or index fingers on the seat stays is about as affordable as you get. worked fine for me for 20+ years, then i got a used park because what respectable home mechanic doesn't have a truing stand, right?

...and i never use it because it takes longer to remove my wheels and mount them in the stand than it does to rest my finger on the stay and move it until the rim scrapes my fingertip and give a few turns on the nips.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
size pretty much summed it up like a champ. ive owned two ts2's (at separate times) and ended up selling both. thinking back at it, it was a dumb ass idea, but i needed money.. i honestly dont know what other truing stands are out there cause the park one is so awesome, although i am sure there are other neat ones out there too.

since then, i just use zipties and my finger like size.. not as easy and you have to pay attention and not be distracted with anything else. it also seems like it takes me a little longer, but it always works in the end and is free (aside from the zipties and your time).

'poor people problems'

edit:
if you do get the park one, you have to get the tilting base. its useless without it, unless you plan to mount it to something.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
is that holding up the frame? i usually just flip my frame on upside down and sit on the ground..

your re-purposing of the xmas tree looks much more comfy.. idk how long i will be able to keep a dead tree trunk in my room for though ;)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
is that holding up the frame? i usually just flip my frame on upside down and sit on the ground..

your re-purposing of the xmas tree looks much more comfy.. idk how long i will be able to keep a dead tree trunk in my room for though ;)
The frame is suspended on an old tube. :weee: That is a dirty basement and that trunk is long gone. Now that I have a real bike stand, I just clamp the bike in the stand in a comfortable-enough position.