Quantcast

Best tubeless valve stems?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've had no problems with stans. have a set from black ox right now and don't really like the way that they thread on-i always feel like the retaining nut is going to come loose.

people do seem to like the new higher flow ones ... i could see trying the i9s as they're not too spendy and i9 generally makes quality things. plus they're local-ish.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cushcore valves are nice, haven't had one clog or leak on me yet. The Santa Cruz Reserve valves are supposed to be the bees knees but are rather pricey.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have to use unblockable (sideways) valves as all my tires that are setup tubeless use inserts. So far I haven't had any issues with the rimpact or cushcore valves.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Presta is too damn small to pass enough air, then just a little blockage and it’s done. Stans are horrible…but so are others.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have black stems of some sort. Random valves. Never really have a problem.

Whenever I top up sealant or mount tires, I just take the valve out. Takes less than a minute and while doing so, can pick out any sealant in the valve.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i always just remove the calve cores to fill and/or clean and seat beads. super easy.
Which works with an air compressor, but then that becomes necessary equipment to own a bike? That’s ridiculous, it shouldn’t come to that. I’ve got the charger style bontrager pump that can’t move enough air to work specifically because of valve restriction. Therefore, it’s actually easier for me to use a regular HV floor pump, as in if it won’t fill with that, it damn sure won’t fill with the air tank thing and all that does is run out of air. 99% of pumps aren’t designed to work without the core.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i always just remove the calve cores to fill and/or clean and seat beads. super easy.
I don’t know of anything that can really clean out latex (without melting skin or something). You can sometimes get some strings/pieces out, but it just gets worse over time. It takes a while, but cores become a wear item and eventually the stem gets too restricted in my experience.

It's interesting. I have had the same stems in the Tracer since May of 2015, some no-name blue presta stems, non-removable core. I was careful to always have the valve down when inflating, measuring, or adjusting air pressure.

They never gave me problems until after December '21 when I had a local shop replace the rear tire. Now the rear valve is gunked up with sealant and hard to open or close.

I just took the tire off to true the wheel, and the amount of sealant that they put in is large, whereas I have always been a minimalist.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I like it when I can’t hear anything and me and at least one buddy are covered in tubeless milk. That’s when I know the valve is working but the tire or rim are done. It’s a form of trouble shooting….

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Which works with an air compressor, but then that becomes necessary equipment to own a bike? That’s ridiculous, it shouldn’t come to that. I’ve got the charger style bontrager pump that can’t move enough air to work specifically because of valve restriction. Therefore, it’s actually easier for me to use a regular HV floor pump, as in if it won’t fill with that, it damn sure won’t fill with the air tank thing and all that does is run out of air. 99% of pumps aren’t designed to work without the core.
I've got a Topeak pump which has the built in air chamber that you fill to 160psi to blow the tire on with, it seems to always work.

If the tire beads are juicy with sealant sometimes all I need to do is pump up the tire in normal mode to seat it.

This guy... feels a little sketch pumping it to 160psi, but it works..

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sounds like tubes might be for you.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My Harbor Freight compressor was less than the fancy floor pump. But I should probably have one of those if I ever do go on long bike trips again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have both the gucci aluminum american classic/generic ones as well as stainless $5 ones. The stainless seem to be better. They spin less and are less susceptible to junk.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have some of the 76 designs high flow valves. They work nice, just suggest a pump with a locking chuck on it.
i'd be curious to see a head to head comparison between those and the reserve ones. especially since the 76d ones are claimed to be insert compatible. and less expensive

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
been using the I9 ones for a bit. they don't clog up nearly as badly/quickly as some others (stan's) i've used, and are easy to clean out when they do get gunked up.

if buying a whole new setup would probably try those fillmore valves.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've been using the Filmores since Christmas. The air flow through them is (as-advertised) MUCH higher than standard valves. It's like removing the core. I have no issues running them with inserts either. The only knocks, aside from price, are that you have to add sealant directly into the tire rather than through the valve, and that over time I had some sealant build up on the tip of the plunger, causing a slow leak of pressure. (A little bit of hardened sealant was keeping the plunger from seating fully on the end of the body. But it was no big deal to clear off - popped 1 bead, lifted up the insert, and just rubbed the edge of the plunger to remove the goobers.)

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I like it when I can’t hear anything and me and at least one buddy are covered in tubeless milk. That’s when I know the valve is working but the tire or rim are done. It’s a form of trouble shooting….
You like it?
Either we have different definitions of the word "like" or you are a masochist. Do you "Like" when it gets in your eye? Is that fun? Lol

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This topic is relevant to my interests. The generic looking stems I have on my Turner (Stan's I believe) keeps getting clogged up and won't let air out, and barely in. No inserts to obstruct it either.

Same stems on the hardtail have been solid since I set them up years ago.

No name Amazon stems in fancy colors on the Capra constantly leak from the seals. Does have cross drilled holes and has inserts but filling or airing down has not been an issue.

Muc-off stems on the Izzo sealed up first time and have not had any issues but that's only been three or four months.

At this point I'm leaning towards Muc-off if I continue to have the same luck long-term with these, and will likely switch the rest of them at some point. Though these Fillmore have me intrigued as well.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Had my first odd thing with the Fillmore tonight. It was dusk (and I wasn’t wearing my glasses, shame on me). I added some air, that was easy. But putting the cap back on the valve got a teensy bit cockeyed, and either cross threaded a tiny bit on the valve, or inside the cap (I’ll investigate tomorrow). It worked just fine without the cap, though, so that’s good.
I am also going to paint the valve cap safety orange or something, way too easy to lose track of it while pumping.
Also concerned about topping off sealant, they claim any injector will work, but those are a PITA compared to the used small Stan’s bottle method.

Also curious how one would ‘degunk’ the valve of built up sealant (we all know it’s gonna happen).

Google Says:

Dissolving Dried Latex with Commerical Products
There are several commercial products that can dissolve Latex. "Goof Off" and "Oops", intended for household use, are found in many hardware stores and offer water-based and environmentally friendly versions. Tetrahydrofuran (THF) readily dissolves latex. Due to its highly flammable and explosive nature, THF is reserved for industrial use. Nitrile or neoprene rubber gloves should be used to administer THF..

Sounds…potent

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thread revival... dealing with clogged valves is getting old. bending stem-cores is also a pain. looking for something that will work with Spank rims (stoopid Oobah profile), and with inserts.

Seems like 76 designs are the best bet? Any experience with the Fillmores and inserts?

Other options on the market now are eThirteen and Funn... any word on those?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
thread revival... dealing with clogged valves is getting old. bending stem-cores is also a pain. looking for something that will work with Spank rims (stoopid Oobah profile), and with inserts.

Seems like 76 designs are the best bet? Any experience with the Fillmores and inserts?
I have a set of the 76 Designs. Clog free after a year or so. However the required adapter for my thread on mini pump kind of stresses me out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
do you use them with inserts? what's the deal with the adapter?
No inserts. Regular clamp on type pumps work with them just fine, but they don't have the same threaded part that a normal presta valve does, so if you have a thread on pump you need an adaptor.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm biased but I've been using the Fillmores since they came out on several bikes in the family and with a few different sealants. Zero issues, haven't had any need to clean them. I typically use a compressor for seating tires but we've been able to do it in the field with a regular pump on occasion. (No experience with inserts, however.) It may be "just a valve" but personally I think it's great to see the bike world chipping away at relatively minor issues which when combined make our lives easier.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee

Other options on the market now are eThirteen and Funn... any word on those?
I have had the 76 designs valves for a while now. They for sure have a great flow rate and have not clogged. I am using an insert in the rear.

Couple things I do not like:
  • Their shorter version is still very long. Mine are bent slightly due to low profile rims.
  • Their adapter for threaded chucks did not work great for me (kept blowing off), I swapped to a clamping chuck.
I had good luck with e13 valves in the past, would not mind to try out the new ones with schrader.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Came to tubeless for the first time last year. A friend recommended Fillmore. They’re the only valves I’ve ever used tubeless. They just work. Haven’t had to think about them. Changed tires this spring and they were good as new.
The price is stupid, but a lot is in mtb these days.