Quantcast

Best value mods

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
I've got $650 to spend on new bits for the DH bike and am leaning either towards a new lighter set of wheels or new rear shock. Which one would I see better performance/handling gains out of? I know lighter wheels will accelerate and help turn quicker ( I'm looking at crank bro's opium wheels) but would I get better results out of better shock over my Van RC. I've also thought about getting it pushed.

Any thoughts or advice?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, some info on what you're riding right now would help. What bike? What wheels? Any complaints with your current stuff specifically?

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
I'm on a kona Operator and it's all stock. Wheels that are on now are Sun MTX 33 rims on formula hubs. Haven't weighed them but at a guess I'd say the set would be around 2600 grams. The bike just feels sluggish to get back up to speed again and the rear really eats a lot of the effort I put into pedaling. Also the tends to pack up when coming into corners with bad braking bumps and I'm guessing only having low speed and rebound on the stock shock may have something to do with it. I love the bike but am starting to find a few things I would like change/improve

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Last time I talked to Darin at PUSH, he was stoked on that new Vanilla RC. I bet a few bucks spent there would transform your rig. Then a wheelset.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I went over to CRC and saw that the prices on wheelsets have increased. A Mavic EN521 rim laced to Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs using DT Swiss Competition spokes runs for around $450 with free shipping to the US. This plus $200 for the race tune on the Vanilla RC or factory tune for Van R adds up to $650.

I used this wheelset in Whistler and it held up fine. I am a light rider (66 kg) but I was casing shiat all the time. If you want to run the beefier Mavic 721 then add around 35 bucks.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I agree with others, Get your rear shock pushed and then find a used wheelset. If you look around there are tons of killer deals on used wheels like i9's or 823's laced to hadley's. All can be had for under $500. Just make sure they aren't trashed.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
push the van RC
buy some ADD-lites / nukeproof generators / hope->ex721

you will be stoked (and be right about $650 for everything)

but do the shock first. that is the biggest upgrade you can get. and dunno how you ride, but don't go too light of a rim unless you are both light and smooth.

also, don;t get opiums, no matter what.

word.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I've got $650 to spend on new bits for the DH bike and am leaning either towards a new lighter set of wheels or new rear shock. Which one would I see better performance/handling gains out of? I know lighter wheels will accelerate and help turn quicker ( I'm looking at crank bro's opium wheels) but would I get better results out of better shock over my Van RC. I've also thought about getting it pushed.

Any thoughts or advice?
Listen to everyone else--all good ideas. No matter what you do, don't do what I highlighted in your post.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Used wheelset and see if you cant find a used shock as well and or have yours tuned.

Like others have stated this will reduce rolling mass and make the bike alot more lively mixxed with a tuned shock will it in on the terain.
Should feel like a huge improvement better weight and manueverability.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
push the van RC
buy some ADD-lites / nukeproof generators / hope->ex721

you will be stoked (and be right about $650 for everything)

but do the shock first. that is the biggest upgrade you can get. and dunno how you ride, but don't go too light of a rim unless you are both light and smooth.

also, don;t get opiums, no matter what.

word.
+1....

Push rebuild and Ti spring was the best mod for me. Wheels....I'm happy if they stay round.

Good luck,

J

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Best upgrades for the Operator:

1. Tires. Stock ones are 60A, replace with Super Tackys or 3Cs. This will make THE biggest difference in handling.

2. Suspension. I'd get the RC pushed, and look into an Avalanche or Elka cartridge for the Boxxer Race.

3. Cockpit. This is personal preference, but I'd put different bars and a direct mount stem.

The wheels are not the lightest, but they are not total tanks either, and pretty durable.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
Thanks guys. I replaced the single ply tyres after the first ride with super tacky's. Got a direct mount stem on the way and I'll replace the bars when I need to. I don't want a stupid light wheelset as I'm 87kg and have already replaced a rear rim but that was due to dinging it and trying to straighten the sidewall back out and snapping it.

I'm keen to have the stock shock pushed but will have to wait till the end of the season as I have to send it to the US as no one does it in Australia which will also add at least $100-$150 for postage. Also keen on getting the avalanche cart for the fork but that will have to wait till next year as that's another thing I'll have to get from the states. Only problem with living in Australia, postage can be a killer. Might see if I can buy the pushed kit and find someone over here who can put it in.

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
I'm keen to have the stock shock pushed but will have to wait till the end of the season as I have to send it to the US as no one does it in Australia which will also add at least $100-$150 for postage. Also keen on getting the avalanche cart for the fork but that will have to wait till next year as that's another thing I'll have to get from the states. Only problem with living in Australia, postage can be a killer. Might see if I can buy the pushed kit and find someone over here who can put it in.
is not dirt works the pushed ageint in oz? i know a few people in kiwi land who have been pointed in there direction when they were looking at getting there shocks worked on.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For the wheelset - just buy a cheaper front hub. You dont need hope. Get some cheap and light catalog hub. Front ones are not rocket science.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
is not dirt works the pushed ageint in oz? i know a few people in kiwi land who have been pointed in there direction when they were looking at getting there shocks worked on.
Dirt Works no longer do it as they had trouble getting parts from what I've been told. Just sent Push Industries an email to see what the best way of doing it is.

Just priced a set of Hope pro2 evo hubs on Nukeproof race rims with a new cassette and it came to $520 AUD with free delivery. It's $209 USD to get the shock done by push then maybe $150 for return postage.

Not sure what to do. Think I'll just go getto tubeless on the wheels first and see how that goes/holds up.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Ghetto tubeless is for nancies who care more about internet scale pics, than cornering hard.

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
Dirt Works no longer do it as they had trouble getting parts from what I've been told. Just sent Push Industries an email to see what the best way of doing it is.

Just priced a set of Hope pro2 evo hubs on Nukeproof race rims with a new cassette and it came to $520 AUD with free delivery. It's $209 USD to get the shock done by push then maybe $150 for return postage.

Not sure what to do. Think I'll just go getto tubeless on the wheels first and see how that goes/holds up.
oh well that sucks.

if you are looking for some cheaper hubs the nukeproof ones are also good bang for buck.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
shock. replace that rc with a rc4 or something else.

tires. keep them fresh. high roller super tacky in the back, minion dhf supertacky up front. replace the rear often, worn tires dont grip.