Quantcast

best voices in music

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew, i definitely was lacking w/ not listing adam. his laconic style is a perfect fit.

good call w/ nick cave, whose vocal talents developed incredibly.

oh, one obvious person missing. say what you want about the music, but bjork's got an amazing voice.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
A few I happen to like

Rocky Votolato (Waxwing)
Tom Petty (Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers)
Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices)
Elliot Smith (Elliot Smith)
Lydia Wever (Brown Feather Sparrows)
Cedric Bixler (At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta)
Jon Snodgrass (Armchair Martian)
The younger Robert Plant, listened to his new CD and he's lost a bit
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
David Bowie

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Bjern Fita said:
Mike Patton

2nded. I've never seen Faith no More but I've seen Mr. Bungle once and Tomahawk twice. Mr. Bungle was probably one of the most intense shows I have ever seen. He is just one scary mofo to watch live. He does this thing where he looks just slightly over the crowd. It make it seem as if he is looking through you. It's almost as if you've been violated somehow after the show is over. So weird and hard to describe unless you've seen him up close.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jdschall said:
I also really like Eric Bachman (Archer's of Loaf, etc.)
one of the more memorable live acts i've seen...he opened as Crooked Fingers for the Delgados last year in boston. we got there when he had already started, so i'm not sure if it was a PA problem or not, but he stepped off the stage w/ his guitar, stood on the floor w/ the punters, and totally unamplified played and sang his entire set. was augmented a couple times by a female singer. it was pretty cool. :thumb:

waits is a yes/no reaction for people; either they love 'em or hate 'em.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jdschall said:
2nded. I've never seen Faith no More but I've seen Mr. Bungle once and Tomahawk twice. Mr. Bungle was probably one of the most intense shows I have ever seen. He is just one scary mofo to watch live. He does this thing where he looks just slightly over the crowd. It make it seem as if he is looking through you. It's almost as if you've been violated somehow after the show is over. So weird and hard to describe unless you've seen him up close.
you ever catch David Yow (scratch acid, jesus lizard)? that dude was spooky.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
Interesting you mentioned John Cale and Leonard Cohen next to each other, the only thing I've ever heard from either of them was the same song, "Hallelujah" :think:
Cale's got quite an extensive solo career once he left the velvets. _Paris 1919_ is a great record. he's touring now; i plan on seeing him later this month.

for lenny, i'll send you a song. it's not everyone's cup of meat.

Bjern Fita

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Åsgårdstrand, Norway
jdschall said:
never got to see which is one of my big regrets. a group of us sent one of our mates to see FNM and Prodigy on a double bill in Sydney when we were back in year 10. That would have been a sweet show.

And I'm not that way inclined but Dave Wyndorf's voice is sex.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Bjern Fita said:
And I'm not that way inclined but Dave Wyndorf's voice is sex.
He could have been a Hobbit in The Lord of the Rings. He's a midget.

I liked him better when he was on drugs.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
narlus said:
you ever catch David Yow (scratch acid, jesus lizard)? that dude was spooky.

David Yow:thumb: Saw Jesus Lizard in '96 at the Big Day Out in Perth. Hot summers day, they played early around 2. Managed to get right near the front as they were the band I mainly wanted to see. The set starts and the first thing he does is take a running jump into the crowd (must have been at least 3 metres between the stage and the crowd barrier) and proceeds to sing the first song upside down while crowd surfing. Security just about had a sh*t fit. My abiding memory is passing him over head while he has a death grip on the mic screaming his lungs out. Still the best gig I've ever seen.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Edit- exactly like the pic Narlus posted...good timing mate.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jdschall said:
Yes but never close enough to actually get a sense of the man. I've heard stories though.
1st time i ever saw them was @ TTs, which is a pretty small club in cambridge. when he came out, there was a definite sense of danger and unpredictability, very similar to the early buttholes shows i saw...

they don't make bands like that any more.

Bjern Fita

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Åsgårdstrand, Norway
valve bouncer said:
David Yow:thumb: Saw Jesus Lizard in '96 at the Big Day Out in Perth. Hot summers day, they played early around 2. Managed to get right near the front as they were the band I mainly wanted to see. The set starts and the first thing he does is take a running jump into the crowd (must have been at least 3 metres between the stage and the crowd barrier) and proceeds to sing the first song upside down while crowd surfing. Security just about had a sh*t fit. My abiding memory is passing him over head while he has a death grip on the mic screaming his lungs out. Still the best gig I've ever seen.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I remember Ron Hitler Barassi doing the same thing at a Melbourne BDO show. I think it was while doing Ol' Man River; audience stripped him butt naked, mask and all, security pulled him out, he went off-stage and was back in 45 seconds fully suited up again and played a wicked set.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Bjern Fita said:
I remember Ron Hitler Barassi doing the same thing at a Melbourne BDO show. I think it was while doing Ol' Man River; audience stripped him butt naked, mask and all, security pulled him out, he went off-stage and was back in 45 seconds fully suited up again and played a wicked set.
Was probably the same year. TISM played in '96. Nick Cave, Radio Birdman too among others...pretty good line up.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ive always like Plant. And he can still pull it off pretty well. Problem is I dont listen to vocals a whole lot so I cant pick the best vocalist in music... there are so many that can do so well. Dude from Tool is pretty awesome... but then again some of those 'diva' chicks can get after it too, too many to choose.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
they don't make bands like that any more.
WORD.

Last time I saw Jesus Lizard was a show we did w/ them in Philly. Yow was wearing a red camisole and cowboy boots. Nothing else. The band was on FIRE that night.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
WORD.

Last time I saw Jesus Lizard was a show we did w/ them in Philly. Yow was wearing a red camisole and cowboy boots. Nothing else. The band was on FIRE that night.
was that @ the khyber pass? never saw a show there, but it sounds like it's legendary.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
This I guess is all time for me...but would include Marvin Gaye, Al Green, numerous members of the temptations, Whitney Houston, Freddy Mercury (queen), and others I just cant think of

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I dont know if it has been posted because i didnt read the thread, but the front man for the band HIM Ville Valo...IMO he has the best voice out there.

www.heartagram.com

I saw them in pgh last night and they blow my mind everytime. Awesome rock n roll.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I dont know if it has been posted because i didnt read the thread, but the front man for the band HIM Ville Valo...IMO he has the best voice out there.

www.heartagram.com

I saw them in pgh last night and they blow my mind everytime. Awesome rock n roll.
Not bagging on them, but it just reminds me of a Swedish Bon Jovi.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
narlus said:
dude or dudette?

that website is hideous.
dude. the girl is his former guitar player.

the site isn't for looks, it's for attention, and it got yours'. check out some of his stuff, you might actually like it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it got my attention because you prompted it; the black and pink was horrible, and the whole thing reeked of a late 90s Geocities site. i couldn't close it down fast enough once i found an adequate pic to link.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
This list starts out bad and just gets worse! All of their voices are like nails on a chalk board

bluebug32 said:
Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden)
Adam Duritz (Counting Crows)
Bruce Springsteen
Susan Tadeski (no clue if I spelled that name correctly, but she's a blues singer)
Bono
Michael Stipe
Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service)
Dar Williams
Natalie Merchant (mainly with10,000 Maniacs)
David Gray
Rhett Miller (Old 97's)
Bonnie Rait
Damien Rice

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
Was probably the same year. TISM played in '96. Nick Cave, Radio Birdman too among others...pretty good line up.
i was there... wasn t i ??? :confused: ... did nt david yow jam a mic up his butt at a gig somewhere. ??? he is definately out there.. dEAF AS A BAT !!!!!

eric b - AOL is awesome...

fark, there is so many...

tex perkins - cruel sea / beasts of bourbon is good also
i like kim salmons vocal stuff as well...